Split: SLR lenses for track action

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by pascal77uk, Feb 9, 2010.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I agree with everything Mike says.

Good to see your progress from when you first asked, up to now :)

2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

[:$]:thumbup:[:D]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Im really enjoying my photography, just wish i had more time available.:thumbup:

4. richwig83 Forum Member

I love my 100-400... Superb lens, and almost perfect for Motorsport photography!

5. mark25 Forum Junkie

Says it all....

I'm not a Canon man, but you need the lenses with the dual IS mode for panning. I'm not sure of the name, but some L's, like the 70 - 200 F4 L, maybe all Canon lenses....? have an extra stabalisation mode that only works in the vertical mode, ideal for panning shots.

6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

How long have you had your lens Rich and do you suffer from the dust problems that some people are reporting with them. Also how do you find in in lower light situations. I am thinking about this, but as its expensive it will be a big step. Also if im considering the 70-200 2.8 is II it might be one or the other!!.

Do you get a media pass for motorsport events. I found it hard to get a decent spot at brands unless you have a long lens or a media vest to fet inside the fencing.

Cheers

7. richwig83 Forum Member

Cant remember how long i've had it. I bought it second hand and it had been serviced before it bought it.

NO problems with dust as of yet, i think thats somewhat an internet myth. Its not a low light lens, I accepted that when I bought it (100-400 replaced my 70-200 2.8IS). However for what i use it for (wildlife and motor sports) its excellent, and the high ISO capability the 5DII negates any issue with the 4.5-5.6 F stop!

Rich

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Rich,

Im keeping my eye on some pre owned ones but they are fetching strong money.

9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Some good news. I've picked up a second hand Canon 100-400 L which has had light private use for 830 beans, picking it up on friday. There is an air show here over the weekend, so will have a play with it then and report back. I also bought a 70-200 2.8 L IS by accident. But got it for 250 less than what it was worth so couldn't say no.

I think L fever has got me.

10. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Just as a heads-up to y'all - even on your average Trackday, the circuit are unlikely to let you shoot from where the pros sit without showing proof of Public Liability Insurance :thumbup:
    It's overpriced when bought daily, but you should be able to get it bundled with your Camera Insurance for a decent annual rate.

11. stella

stella Forum Junkie

That 100-400 looks a hefty lens. Do you have a very steady hand or have you got a tripod/monopod to take the weight?

12. barny Forum Member

L fever all the way, you'll never look back!

13. richwig83 Forum Member

... i do miss my 70-200 2.8IS L... *sad face*

14. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I know mine is not the 2.8 but its the best lens I own!

15. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I picked up this lens yesterday and wow its awesome. Im really please with it. Its fantastic to use and the results are better than i ever thought they would be which is always nice:thumbup: They lady who had it bought it new 2 years ago and has only used it 5 times. It came out of the box looking brand new and the price i bought it for was silly. So well chuffed.

I also have the 100-400 now[:$] Again another bargain, bought from a doctor who only used it a dozen times or so photographing his sons rowing at oxford collage so again in fantastic condition.

I ventured down to the Southend air show at the weekend with the 100-400 but for most of it there were thick grey clouds in the sky, which was ****e and the wind was blowing so much the lens was getting buffeted around a lot. But I did manage to get a couple of decent photos when the clouds cleared a bit. I will post them up later. The planes were so far away even with the long lens on full zoom i couldnt get in close. The air field days are much better for photos they are really close to you.

I did do a bit of photo editing on them maybe a bit too much in hindsight so as usual all critical comments greatly received.

Cheers

16. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Well at last here are a few track photos.

I’ve reduced my shutter speeds to gain some more blur, these were at 1/200sec, 1/250sec. They were taken just before folly at castle coombe so 100mph panning. It was a really gloomy day with grey clouds over head but they didn’t come out too bad. But the background is a bit boring as the infield of coombe is always grass and lots of it.

As always still loads to learn and improve on but heading in the right direction i hope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple of paddock shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

17. richwig83 Forum Member

That first pan is great. Just keep winding down the shutter speeds now. :thumbup:

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Nice DOF on the green Porsche too. :thumbup:

19. stella

stella Forum Junkie

They are pretty good pictures, especially from someone who professed to know nothing not long ago. Well done!

20. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

If i knew nothing before, then i know a little more than nothing now:lol: There is so much to get you head round in the world of photography[:s]

Wish i had more time to get out there. Im starting a new business which is taking up all my time.

But thank you very much for your comments. The photos above are only the second time ive tried panning and photographing race cars.