TDI. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Spacemonkey, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Jonny777 Forum Member

Tractor. [:[]

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

quickest ive driven is a 140 mk5 which wasn't any where near as fast, cant see how the bora would be much quicker, but I will take your word for it. the mk5 was a dsg, but this wouldnt make it feel slower would it?

I like diesels, think they make a much better ownership prospect. But I would never start stripping a MK4 GT TDI to be a track day car lol just doesnt give the same fun factor imo..

3. AngryBob Forum Member

I've said this in another thread today, but the 140hp mk5 is poor. Its only mildly quicker than a slightly tuned mk2 8v.
    I have a mk5 140 and have had for 2 years, I also have a 150pd mk4 which is so much better, everywhere, and returns better mpg too.

A 150pd will spank a mk3 16v no question. Plus a remap alone will see you pushing towards 190hp.
    150 is noticably quicker than the 130 (and yes i have had both at the same time) but the 130 is still a v good engine, still better than the mk5 140 imo, and about 30-40% cheaper in insurance compared to the 150.
    Given the extra cost of purchase too, the 130 is probably the best bet with the mk4's. A decent map will see you getting towards 160 anyway.

4. Seraph Banned

I laugh at the mere comparison of a valvers' torque to a TDI150's, and that's even with the Bora carrying another 250kg.

5. Aphex Forum Junkie

So a pd150 will be quicker than a 20vt..? I've seen a high mileage (mk3, of all things haha) valver quicker than a 20vt.

My rental astra 19.tdi sri thingy was quick but I always felt my valver was quicker. It's just I didn't care about the diesel so I could rip a few full throttle gear changes :lol:

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I owned a mk3 GTi 16V for three years and have now owned my Astra CDTi 150 (same bhp and torque as a 150PD, but lighter, with more grip, better brakes and better handling) and in 99.999999999999999999999% of situations, the Astra would batter the mk3 Golf despite having the same bhp.

It's called R32 matching torque and once you are used to the slightly odd power delivery, you will slay many annoying reps and petrol hatch drivers.

However they do sound cack and they stink.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

this thread is funny.

i had a 130pd (tweaked) audi for a couple years, it rocked, it was quick, was fast for a diesel, but not fast lol

a mk3 abf can 'do' a 20vt that had 150bhp, so a 130bhp diesel would quicker.

my money says no. im sure there is an essex board member that would happily line them up to demo this [:D]

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

think you are over-rating your astra a touch mate!!! read this page....

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cardata/?cat=hot_hatches&page=2&sort=id&order=asc

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

"vauxhall astra sport hatch - more hatch than sport"

"VW Golf MK3 GTI - Great entertainer - middle ages spread dulls edge a bit"

10. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Errrmmm - No. That's the Sporthatch - I have the estate. Which is rather different.
    And whatever Evo thinks (they utterly hate diesels, and aren't keen on Vauxhalls in general) you can't argue with the figures.

Both 150bhp, 235lbs/ft vs 133lbs/ft, similar weight.

Don't forget, I owned and ran a mk3 GTi 16v for three years so I KNOW how they perform. 7.9s to 60 is actually complete bollox for the GTi too - Other tests gave it mid 8s to 60. Same as the Astra. Many of Evos figures are complete gash.

So same bhp, similar 0-60 but the Astra has not far off twice the torque.
    From 2-4.5k rpm, not a lot can keep up. Get the gear changes right and it's a much quicker car.
    It has a properly sorted chassis (thanks to Lotus, the Golf is well known for being all over the place when pushed - I never had real confidence in the chassis of mine), far superior brakes (310mm up front), much grippier rubber (225/45 17" compared to 205/55 15") and a much more slippery shape.

Now, fancy "arguing" any more?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  11. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I wouldn't look back either after we bought a 150 anniversay tdi.
    Our TT will just manage to pass it.

If you want to tune them, just get in touch with Godspeed and ask what his was like. The new shape M3's were scared of him around here!

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

diesels can get hard to keep up with coming away from tight corners lol they have great delivery, pd130 should have zero lag, so ill honestly say a well driven diesel could be hardwork to 'get the better of' in a mk3 abf.

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ummm... i almost stopped reading after the first line......:lol: :lol:

diesel astra estate, that has 'grippier' tyres (due to being 20mm wider!!) :lol:
    and a much more slippery shape? WTF??!!!

you crack me up!!! so a MK4 will corner quicker than a MK1 because it has wider tyres will it??

similer weight? a mk3 gti and a astra estate? when the hatch is already heavier....

The reason Evo magazine doesn't like vauxhall particularly is because they have an awfull reputation for c**p chassis' with awfull understeering characteristics and zero feedback (i also drive a 120cdti vectra) and the magazine is about the 'thrill' of driving, not something you would associate with vauxhall is it?

If you said to me that your diesel has much more power low down, better in gear acceleration and better aids such as traction control etc better suited for our types of roads you would have been closer to the truth, but more slippery shape? do me a favour....

14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

one of the nicest looking MK4's you think? i think so.. subtle but lovely.
    Weren't some 180 bhp?

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my mk3 has an evo sticker, does that count in my favour?

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

you get my vote!!! lol

at least a second off your 0-60.... lol

not as slippery shape though you see!

17. gorilly Forum Member

i had a 20vT 150bhp A3

then i drove a 150bhp TDI cupra

then i sold my A3... lol

i 20vT was thirsty, boring and felt crap in comparison

i then bought a tiptronic 1.6HDI c4... and yes its not as quick... but i'd still rather own it any day compared.

18. Seraph Banned

It's ok, It's Matt! I don't think he does pessimistic/negative!!

19. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

You know nothing about what makes a car good to drive.
    You rely on mags and you run a car with a dire chassis and no torque.
    The Vectra is utterly terrible compared to the Astra - and you have the cheapo, lower powered engine.
    The Astra had a very very low coefficient of drag, the Golf doesn't.
    The Estate weighs barely any more than the hatch.
    The Astra grips better because it has a far superior chassis.
    The tyres simply help.
    Evo is crap now - hence I cancelled my subscription.
    You are a deluded Chav wannabee.

Goodbye and goodnight.

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the cheapo lower powered engine is the same as the difference between a 130 and 150 pd engine you moron! they are both cdti engine's based on the same block? do you know nothing?

You are comparing hatchback handling on drag coefficient? have you seen the clio williams? its like a bar of soap you idiot but still the best handling hatch around (arguably!)

I have owned a standard 16v golf GTI from the age of 18, have never modified it and have never crashed. Hardly a chav wannabe.

You drive a astra estate, and come on club gti telling me it has a superior chassis to my gti, quoting things like 'slippery shape?' i think you cancelled your subscription to EVO as they don't share the same passion as you do for bland GM mass produced cack.

My Vectra chassis is crap, i bought it for different reasons. It is a top of the range (bar VXR) elite which has every extra imaginable which is perfect for sitting on the motorway or going no where fast (driving in london) I do not however try to convince people of crap cars dynamics....