TDI. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Spacemonkey, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

debate debate debate. whos going to line them up?

2. Seraph Banned

They were. Rare it seems.

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ssshhh matt!!! in a minute he is going to start telling me it has the same torque as an R32 but is lighter, so round a track would show it a clean set of heels.....[:s]

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i thought i once saw a write up about them and it claimed they were 180 but no one ever mentions them... probably just different mapping anyway isn't it?

5. Seraph Banned

Yup, along with slightly better blower.

6. cocobay63 Forum Member

i did own a mk3 GTI valver for a short time and personally i wont look back, because my diesal its good on fuel and is just as fast imo

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

8. Paxle Forum Member

hey, when you can have 130-150 hp with fuel costs of~ $3.10 a gallon(thats what? 30 pence a liter?)(home heating "oil"for the win) whats to argue?

9. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I already have.
    Dad still has a mk3 16V on very low miles.
    He can't keep up with me and admits the Astra is quicker - and he is also a cop trained driver ;) :lol:

Anyway, I've digressed big time.
    What I was saying is that my Astra has the same power and torque as a 150PD, but it a bit lighter and handles better (even mk3 can't argue with that) so is a good comparison.
    And the 150PD would blast a mk3 GTi 16v into the weeds in almost any situation.

I'm no delusionist - I rely purely on facts and from driving a very large number of cars (+ professional driver training).

The R32 was quicker than the Astra (of course), the Astra is quicker than the mk3 GTi 16V, that was quicker than the mk2 GTi 8v I had before that. Which was quicker than the 1973 1.3 Morris Marina I had before that :lol: :lol:

10. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Only the petrol came in 180bhp form.

Oh and your Vectra has an 8v engine. Mine is a 16v unit.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bhp sells cars and torque wins races, therefore the mk2 8v ought to have seen them all off even if it was launched in 4th, firing on 3 cylinders with the handbrake on as it has infinity x2 lbft of torque.

ergo... your findings are flawed

;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  12. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol:

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

here's a Q for you....

what do you think would be quicker, an 8v 120cdti chipped to 150bhp, or a standard 16v 150 cdti??? in the same chassis of course? say the shocking astra estate one? :lol:

joke before you get angry!! [:x]

:)

14. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Mark - I have no idea, but I know that 888 used the 120bhp 8v unit for a while in preference to the 16v unit when they did their 200bhp specials.

Anyway, I'm getting shot of the Astra soon - it's been a headache free three (nearly) years of easy motoring but it's time for something pokier.

Here's What Car:

1.9 TD 148bhp Design
    The 120bhp version packs a fair punch, but this 148bhp unit is a real heavyweight, and a genuine performance diesel. There's strong response at all speeds – and you can expect nearly 50mpg.

and also...

Ride & handling Ride & handling rating - 5 out of 5
    Rivals the best in class

Top Gear

If so far this all seems too good to be an Astra, fire up the 1.9-litre engine and things get even better. Our test car had 150 horses on tap, with a 120bhp available for 850 less. Choose the less powerful version and you'll have to fork out 17,845 - and to save you taking your shoes and socks off to free up a few more digits, that means that this 150bhp edition comes in at a pretty costly 18,695.

If you can forget the price (and as most of these cars will go to company car drivers, that won't be too difficult), this Astra is seriously impressive. Offering nearly 50mpg, it's also got all the performance you'll need as you munch those motorway miles. But even off the arterial routes, the Astra has something to offer, with good handling and a reasonably cossetted ride. Space is adequate too, whether the seats are up (470 litres) or down (1,550 litres). In fact, there's so much space in the back you could even climb in there and grab 40 winks

4.5 stars out of 5 in Parkers review. 5 out of 5 for handling.

So I know it was a "joke" but until you actually drive both, then you are talking out of your butt.

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

do you have last word syndrome?

ha ha....

mk3 golf is better....

[8-}]

16. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Correct!

Well done.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thats what i like to hear

18. Seraph Banned

Nope, Matt can't have that title. It's mine apparently [8D]

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

shut up, no you shut up, no you shut up [:D]

20. Aphex Forum Junkie

Anyone know the stats on the astra 1.9 sri tdi 2007? Just out of honest curiosity and it was quite fun to drive