The difficult third project...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PAB, Aug 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Got a bit more done over the weekend and had a few more bits arrive.

Firstly I got this from Mook about a week or so ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Should flow a little better and will be mated up to a K03/K04 hy-brid Turbo.

Also couldn't help myself with this next one, alway hated the sunroof and as the car will have air-con I thought the car might just benefit from this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Carbon rooftastic, can't wait to get it on...

2. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

As for work this weekend I set to making a new lower front crossmember to allow the Leon Rad/Air-con rad & Intercooler to be fitted without sticking outside the bonnet line. It will also be the base for a couple of stifferers and the sump guard.

Old crossmember.
    [​IMG]

Need as much room infront of the engine as possible.

New crossmember uses the mounts from the old one. Made from 44mm tube and 50x25 box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted into car with the old one cut away.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rads are just placed in, was too late to do any more.
    [​IMG]

More later.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. prof Forum Addict

looks good man, Daz did something similar with his Limo, not sure if there are any pics still around

4. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Slow progress at the moment, got the cross member sorted but having a fun time trying to package the rads & intercooler, there isn't much space and its starting to do my head in.... To make a little more room for boost pipes and stuff i'm now fitting and electric power steering pump so i'll while I wait for that to arrive i'll update you over the weekend with some more interior stuff.....

5. jettadan Forum Member

Keep at it PABlos :thumbup:

I've taken the day off today, so off out to into the shelter to start messing with the suspension on the Jet ready for Cadwell :) Not quite as technical as your challenge.....:lol:

6. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Thanks Dan, just trying to keep the faith at the moment, trying to package everything to be compact and within the front of the car is taking so much time, i'm on my third evolution of rad mounts now!!!

Hope you got sorted today on your Jet, i've got two days off before Cadwell to sort mine, shes got an oil leak on the front of the block that started last time out at bedford.

Laters

7. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Well its been a while since my last update but i've still been using every spare minute i've got. Don't seem to be getting very far though.... the rads are getting me down.

Just about sussed it now as my new intercooler and boost pipes arrived today.
    Photos will follow soon, this is the intercooler.
    [​IMG]

Also got a new Silicone TIP.
    [​IMG]

So along with the BAM injectors, ATP manifold and K03/04 hybrid I should get my target 230bhp safely.
    While i've been waiting for parts to arrive

8. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Have to update in stages as my laptop hates me and keeps shutting down my web connection.

The bulk of my works this last week have been in prepin the shell for the carbon roof and roll cage.

First up was loosing the sunroof.
    Cut through the connections to the roof.
    [​IMG]

Then cut out the sunroof inner skin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof stiffeners were then tacked to the shell.
    [​IMG]

9. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

When I was happy the roof was ready it was out with this bad boy.
    [​IMG]

I then made the roof a bit swiss cheesy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was join the dots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

The other work has been in making the landing plates for the roll cage.

Ive removed the rear seat rail... all will become obvious with that later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Main roll hoop landing plate.
    [​IMG]

Rear diagonal landing plate on the rear arch.
    [​IMG]

The other side will be the same and i'll build my own four point rear cage with full cross and rear strut brace. CDS tube 44mm dia 1.5 wall.

More later, thanks.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm puzzled on what's going on with the roof, but I generally like what's emerging here!! [:D]

How have you decided on the cage tube spec? It's below MSA CDS dia/thickness, that's all.

12. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Chris refresh my slightly tired brain on the min. MSA spec. i've not ordered the tube from my work supplier yet, got so much going on in my head.

Glad you like what your seeing.

the roof is going to be covered with a Performance Trim Carbon roof skin.
    Its in this big box...
    [​IMG]

Just a sneek peak...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, ha! Pulled that one out the.... err box, then!

Nice.

MSA CDS minimum is 45mm x 2.5mm CDS or 50mm x 2mm.

50 generally looks ugly - too big in appearance/unprofessional, so I'd suggest 45 all round. Design is also pretty key for function & aethetics, tubes intersecting and directly channeling forces etc. If any tips needed, shout, as it looks like it'll be well worth getting this spot on!

14. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Well its been another little while since i've posted, my laptop has been away having some magic worked upon it so fingers crossed its sorted..........

This is last weekends works to mount the rads and the intercooler. The Intercooler previously shown above wasn't enough of a challange to get to fit :lol: so I sent it back and got a slightly larger unit more worthy of the challange.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my third attempt at making this work, I wanted it all to be neat and not protrude out of any of the body lines. the first part was to make two 3x3 steel angles fit to the rad and give the basis for a removable mounting frame.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The section shown above has been strengthened.

[​IMG]

Then I had to make space for it all to fit by cutting the bumper support steel and the slam panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The angles were left overlong to allow me to position the rads in the car by blocking them up from the floor. Then angle brackets were fitted from the new cross member an the excess length of the rad mounts cut off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two brace bars were fitted and then the intercooler mounting brackets were welded into place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The intercooler could then be test fitted.
    The whole mounting frame was removed , cleaned and rust proofed ready for priming.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was all then re-fitted for a final check with the grill and plastic bumper in place. the bumper needed some clearing for the intercooler but none of the cutting is visible from the out side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased that the extra time it took to get everything within the bodyline really paid off

15. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

nice one mate well worth that effort I reckon!

16. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`m really enjoying following your progress. Great attention to detail and solving of problems. :thumbup: :clap:

17. jettadan Forum Member

Good work there again bud, putting so much time and thought into it will surely pay dividends later on:thumbup:

P.S. See you tomorrow - can't wait!

18. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Had a great day out on Saturday with the Jetta at Cadwell, good to see familier faces again.

Took delivery of the box section to build the front seat mounts and the tube to build the roll cage with.

The tube is 45mm dia with 2.75mm wall thickness. So it roll cage build week and the pictures will follow.

19. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Got stuck into the cage build tonight, this will be the second i've built from scratch but the first i've done the tube bending, got a local steel supplier to bend the tubes in the Jetta cage.

This is my latest toy, its weight is unbelivable. Mandrel draw bender, will bend up to 3" dia. tube so this should be a piece of cake to it.
    [​IMG]

Started by cutting the tube to form the main roll hoop. started over log at 3500mm.
    [​IMG]

Then marked the centre of the tube.
    [​IMG]

Measurements were taken from the car between the roof supports and a the extra width created by the radious of the two top bends was added to give a distance measurement between the two top bends. This gives the overall width of the main cage hoop.
    Bending could then start.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the two top bends were formed some excess tube could be removed from the legs. The hoop was then traced onto the garage floor to allow the side kink positions to be worked out. Measurements for the height of the kinks and overall width between the tubes where they weld to the car floor were taken.
    [​IMG]

The two side kinks were formed and the main hoop looked like this.
    [​IMG]

I have tack welded it into the car and test fitted one of the rear side trim panels just to make sure they clear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite pleased with the result, i'll get some of the support tubes cut and positioned tomorrow.

20. 12valver Forum Member

Good work!