The difficult third project...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PAB, Aug 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

never put 2 + 2 together at Cadwell, I`d have chatted to you about this otherwise. great project !

A bit late now, but wouldn`t the cage be better closer to the B pillar so, you could add some gussets to ties the hoop to the shell ?

2. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Not had much time this evening to get much done, late from work.

I'm making the cage free stand from the body due to the interior that is being fitted, trying to get an OE type finish to the project..... and the Mk5 front seats are massive compared to buckets or Mk2 seats so it would have been difficult to position the main hoop any further forward and get the seats to fit.....add the fact that i'm 6'4" and will need the seat quite a way back too. The car's intended use is as a daily driver and as I only live 1.5miles from the office the cage wont really be put to any test....... I hope.... well there is one interesting corner near to work.....LOL

This is what I've got done tonight. Cut and fish mouthed the first of the main hoop supports and tacked it into place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should get more done tomo.

3. jettadan Forum Member

Neat fit :thumbup:

What are you using to get the fish mouths shaped right?

4. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Bravery:o , measurments/angles[:s] , and a 46mm hole saw in a really slow drill.

Wanted to use my drill press but my clamp wont work with the tube so its a bit free hand.

5. jettadan Forum Member

Looks bloody good!!!

I was thinking of buying a special tool to get the ends profiled right, but now i'm thinking i might let P&P do the re-shaping and welding as mine needs TIG welding so i can't do the welding anyway and that way i won't have to spend 70 on the tool!

Hope to get mine fitted over winter if they can fit me in (and the cost is reasonable[:$] )

6. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I understand what you mean about the cage now :thumbup:

I`ve been thinking of doing something very similar to you to drop my radiator. However, I was concerned at the loss of rigidity and am going to weld a couple of triangulation pieces, one at each end, roughly as shown in Green, welded along the Red line. I think that will help stiffen it up [:s] By doing that, the radiator can still sit behind the triangle.

[​IMG]

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

If it does i hope your head is hard ;) .

Looking good mind.

8. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Bit by bit its getting there, finished the main 4 points of the cage tonight and welded it complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna put a full cross in the rear section of the cage and a sparate welded in rear strut brace between the rear damper towers.

Nige, was gonna put some gussets in as you show in your pic, but there is so much going on with rads, power steering pipes, air con pipes, and boost pipes that I need to get it all in before I do the gussets.

If you are moving the rad on your track car take a look at what I did on the jetta when I fitted a bigger rad.
    I cut off the rad cross member and welded it on lower, and further forward, also squared it up across the front of the car.

This is how my jetta looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tomorrow.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice work, PAB! Let me know if you feel like going into the roll-cage business!

10. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

WOW i'm flattered Mike [:$] ..... Is it good enough?? had thought about knocking a couple up now i've got the bender. Easy to do bespoke but i'll just need you car for a week or so...LOL

Well after work today I've fitted the driver side support diagonal tube and I think that its going to be enough without the full cross, what do you think? Just got the rear strut brace to fab & fit.

Double fish mouth for main hoop.
    [​IMG]

Tapered fish mouth for the bottom of the diagonal.
    [​IMG]

Gaffer tape is the don of holding tubes in place.
    [​IMG]

Welded in, job done!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laters.

11. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Finished the last tube in the cage today, rear strut brace.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fitted the dash for the seat positions, could'nt resist a pic through the cage, can't wait to get it done now...
    [​IMG]

Then had a mega garage tidy and set about building the front seat mounts. Using box section steel cut in two to form angles with a nice large flat surface for the seat tracks to bolt down to.

The first job was to remove the old front seat mount from the floor of the car, then set my levels and pitch for the angle sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The angles were then tacked in to allow for a test fit of the seats. When the position is correct i'll remove the angles and weld in studs for the seat tracks to bolt down to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't take enough photos today so i'll update soon.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  12. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Good skills and all done to a lovely standard. Is there any component that you haven't chopped and welded? [:D]

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  14. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

First fix photos just to set the levels, base plates have yet to be cut, will plate support the side of the cill too, good to see your on the ball Mike...

You've done yours the same as my track Jetta seats.

15. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Fiinished mocking up the drivers seat tonight, would have got it finished but I ran out of mig wire [:^(]

Sorry no photos, but for the first time I can start to see an end to the fabricating/mocking up stage, got the passengers seat to mount, two small holes in the back panel to plate, one small plate to put on the floor pan and the ABS pump bracket to mount.

Think thats about it for fab work...... Probably forgotten something massive to do [:s] , its time for a list on the garage wall me thinks.

16. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

great progress, makes me wish i had a larger garage.

17. jettadan Forum Member

:thumbup: Well done PAB, good progress as ever.

Wish my cage was normal steel as i could get on and weld it in myself[:^(]

18. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Right, thats the last bit of major fabrication done, just three small plates and the ABS pump left.

I'll post pics tomorrow of the seats inplace with the dash mounted too, starting to come together now. I've also decided to have the whole thing painted, got a good little body shop next door to work and they're gonna take a look and advise me on whats best. Think the budget has been shot down in flames....

PAB

19. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Pics as promised,
    Fitted both the front seats now and couldn't resist putting the dash back in to get a more complete picture of what it'll be like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dash back in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should get the rest of the metal work done today, then the paint shop guys are coming over to see it on tuesday.

20. CraigR New Member

PAB, what can i say apart from WOW, legend! I have been glued to reading this thread. superb planning, engineering and imagination. Cant wait to see the car i the metal when its finished.
    Are you keeping the colour and exterior look original or got something else planned?
    Keep the regular updates coming, better then being forced to watch emerdale/east ednders/corrie by the Minister of War!