The Old Timers Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Savagesam, Aug 25, 2021.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I have no idea, I decided to surrender my shotguns back in Ireland as it was just too much hassle dealing with the cops and renewing licenses every few years.
    I vowed I would get a license over here and I did just a few months back. I take one shotgun out if I'm fly-fishing in the boonies for bear defense - it's pretty compact and relatively light, the other one is for target shooting at the gun ranges and if the smelly stuff ever hits the fan, this will be the one that will be taken out.

My wife was against having guns over here but after what went on in the initial periods of COVID-19 (panic buying, people almost clambering over you to grab something etc.), I was told "you need to get some firearms" and I did.

I'm not one of those 'Guns & God' clowns, I learned how to shoot from my late father, he taught me how to respect and own them responsibly. I bought my first shotgun when I was 18 and I kept that gun along with father's until recently.

I went about trying to export my shotgun from Ireland to Canada but in typical Irish government department fashion, they made it nigh on impossible. Absolutely no issue bringing it in on the Canadian side but 4,500 miles away - blood from a stone

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  2. costel1969

-27 dog walking.jpg

For those that want to know what to wear when walking a dog in -27C, I give you....

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

You look like a ninja Santa.

4. costel1969

more like a ninja numpty Brother

dodgy likes this.
  5. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like you are about to rob a place..... all you need is the shotgun!

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Does any one understand perfume ads on TV? People dancing on the moon, standing in a water feature, burying stuff in the desert etc. WTF!!

7. dodgy

Never have, never will.
    Only perfume ad I've noticed in recent years was a Marc jacobs one as it had saint etienne as its soundtrack, just a nerd.
    Think that ad that vinnie Jones was in a while ago taking the mick summed it up.

8. costel1969

I have 2 actually :)

9. costel1969

Nope and I certainly wouldn't stop at perfume ads either - they say that ads can subliminally cause you to purchase things but honestly I think the opposite is the case, don't get me started on those stupid pop-up ads that appear in practically every bloody webpage you open and as for Youtube - pass the shotgun...

10. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Have you noticed its the same adds from last year and they get longer as the evening goes on. After you with the shotgun

11. costel1969

I'm dangerously close to purchasing YouTube ad free - you're just getting bombarded now, used to be a skippable ad at the start and finish of whatever you were watching. Now it's every 10 minutes and it's a couple of ads and a lot are longer now and you can't skip them - wankers!

12. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

YouTube is really getting on my tits too with the ads. Watching The Skid Factory, I think it was an ad about every 5-6 minutes. Ffs!

bri likes this.
  13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Look into YouTube Vanced app if on Android, STN stable on google chrome. Can't remember off hand the add-on I've got for Firefox to kill ads will post up later when I get a minute

14. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sadly I mostly watch it on the smart TV, and I don't think LG let me use the ad blockers.

15. costel1969

It’s the absolute pits - a good thing just has to be ruined with corporate types wanting to peddle their wares and of course make money.
    I don’t begrudge them making money to a point but I think they are ultimately turning off their own viewership

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you can install apps on the TV try the 2 above,might find an article on sideloading. If you find your TV apps are getting a bit crap ask for a Chromecast for Christmas they're pretty great. Can cast devices to it through Google so say a modernish smartphone you could watch your vids and pictures on the TV. I have an occulus quest 2 vr kit (also amazing) and you can cast that to the chrimecast so people can see what you see rather than just watching you stumble around the living room like an idiot

17. dodgy

Test your memory my fellow codgers :)

18. costel1969

I only recall Battleship and the water game - I suspect the rest were too fancy for the Irish and were not available across the Irish Sea

dodgy likes this.
  19. dodgy

Obviously in Somerset we got the speak and spell had 2 O's then an A and an R.
    The maths one had 4 buttons 1, 2, 3 a lot.
    :lol::lol::lol:

Then again I remember my godmother saying how when she was little (1930s) she wanted a dog, so would tie a bit of string around a rock and drag it everywhere.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  20. costel1969

Great success!! My wife bought me the YouTube ad free package for Xmas - as they say in this part of the world - “ it’s like totally amazing!”

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021