The worst Golf in the world?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Dex, Jan 23, 2010.

?

What is "The Worst Golf ever made"

1. Mk2, 5 Door, 1272cc, C spec, 55bhp

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Mk4, 2.0 GTI, 115bhp

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Mk1, 1.1, Formel E

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Mk3, 1.4, 4 Spd

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  5. Mk3, 1.9DL (Non-turbo) Estate, 64bhp

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the 1.4 is still probably not as bad as a mk4 "gti" 8v thing because the 1.4 wont be trying to pretend its something that its not!!

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I know someone that has a 1.4 and tries to pretend it's something it's not. He was all smug (he's a rude boy) until he realised he couldn't beat a really battered mk2 1.6 off the line.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

erm he wouldnt have been able to beat my BMX

4. Admin Guest

Its painful, I thought the 1.6 version was underpowered.... this is a whole new level of pain.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the 1.8 barely moved under its own steam

6. pebble beach New Member

On the topic of the mk4 1.4, my mate has just bought one even though i said to get the TDI & guess what?, 6 days 40 of fuel and its up for sale, his words "couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding.

7. theboymike Forum Junkie

I agree that the NA Diesel Mk3 has probably got to be the most uninspiring motor ever to bear a Golf badge, although I see RIP Mk3's point about the 8v Mk4 "Gti" - it really isn't fit to wear the badge and is clearly the result of a shameful marketing exercise.

IMO it should have got an "SE" badge or similar; identifying it correctly as a competant shopping trolley, but nothing more.

As for a Gambia Red Mk2 - there used to be a completely boggo 1.3 3dr on a B plate on my way to uni; complete with flat paint and worn out black and white trimmed seats. It was totally rust free from what I could see (no arch spats to trap the moisture). Oh how I dreamed of dropping an ABF into it and dumping it on some steelies.

It was gone by the time I got back from my placement year; scrapped no doubt - bet I could have had it for fifty quid [:^(]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:lol: :lol: :lol:

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Let me find a thread!

Edit: http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182877&page=4&highlight=sleeper

10. theboymike Forum Junkie

I remember that thread well - some proper stealth weapons in there :thumbup:

11. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I had a 1.9 Diesel Mk3 for years, and I loved it! Never let me down in all the years I had it, and even though it was painfully slow and handled like a boat I used to love chucking it about.

The beast in question, now sadly in a scrapyard in the sky [:^(]
    [​IMG]

12. The db

The db Forum Junkie

A girl at work drives one. 25,000 miles on the clock, 4 years old and the list of things that have gone wrong with it is incredible! Current issue is that water is now building up in the doors as the windows don't fit very well and leak water.:thumbup:

Glad my mum opted not to buy one now!

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the thing with that type of car, and it was the same with the 1.7d corsa van I had. You end up loving it, its simple, crap but you trust it and it carries on forever. Its the same with mk3 estate's!!! you go ask what the lady in tesco thinks of hers and I bet she thinks its amazing!!!

how many threads have we seen in the 2.0 section on here - "ive just bought a mk4 gti, and ummmm its slow i need more power" followed by the standard reply - dont bother sell up and by a turbo. How many people have bought a mk4 2.0 gti and sing its praises? ive never heard anyone??

14. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

If you guys rave about Mk3 1.9DL Estates much more I'm gonna have to go buy one!

:o

15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Has to be a TDI though... ;)

16. DEX

Nope - from what I'm reading about it has to be a DL (and it seems that ideally an estate)

17. DEX

Actually - perhaps it should be an estate with a towbar?

I have to agree I think that mk4 115bhp is probably the GTI that deserved the badge least

18. aidanb22 Forum Member

I agree the L spec mk3 is pretty bad going, but the 1.4 petrol is 1000 times worse than the 1.9 diesel.
    Reason being, my old 1.4 as example, why would anyone want the power of a 1.0 with the fuel consumption of a 1.8? At least the diesel doesn't cost much to run.

19. caddymandean New Member

so totaly agree!:thumbup: i was working for vw dub selling these new........................poor poor excuse for a gti. 115bhp and wouldnt pull you out of bed in the morning!

20. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Very true.

I hate the 2.0L MK4's.

It shouldn't be allowed to wear a GTI badge. What were they thinking putting a 2.0L 8v in a mk4 anyway and calling it a GTi :lol:

The only MK4's which should of been classed as GTi's should have only been the 1.8T's - (150BHP) and the Anniversaries (180BHP).