The worst Golf in the world?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Dex, Jan 23, 2010.

?

What is "The Worst Golf ever made"

1. Mk2, 5 Door, 1272cc, C spec, 55bhp

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Mk4, 2.0 GTI, 115bhp

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Mk1, 1.1, Formel E

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Mk3, 1.4, 4 Spd

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  5. Mk3, 1.9DL (Non-turbo) Estate, 64bhp

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I am ashamed to own one. Sounds like a tractor, has trouble with hills, but is unfailingly reliable.
    My scabby Audi A4 V6 has an open exhaust at the minute, but the neighbours only complain about the Mk3...

2. Admin Guest

mine must have been a dream then because it was amazing on petrol. only got rid as the 5spd became 4spd [8(]

3. Admin Guest

and bloody ugly to, worse than a mk3 infact[xx(] :lol:

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i like the mk4 shape, esp in anni or r32 kit - probably the nicest looking out of all of them i think

5. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Poll added :)

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

i had to vote the 1.4 mk3, even though the mk3 derv is a terrible car in estate form it is at least practical, the 1.4 with 4speed box massive ratios and tank body mean it just doesnt move.

7. DEX

it's a fair point. Can't believe the people voting for the mk4 GTI - would they *really* rather own one of the Mk3s?

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

mk4 8v gti is only rubbish through disappointment, In fact the co owner of my mk3 derv almost bought one as it felt fast after what he was used to, lol.

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i think its because everyone on here (in general) loves the hot hatch element of golfs, its what created the attraction in the first place. We didnt start off on a mk3 1.4cl forum and end up here, so that car is irrelivant where as the mk4 2.0 although obviously better car in terms of refinement, comfort, looks, build? etc etc in terms of 'golf' as we like to think of them it fails on every front

10. theboymike Forum Junkie

lol at the poll - feel the love for the Mk1 and Mk2 [8D]

11. stel-th New Member

i have a mk3 and when it was 1.4 it was ... very very .... very slow..[:[]
    thanks god now it is ABF.....

12. DEX

Just ocurred to me - did VW *really* put a 4 speed box in a mk3? :o

(Just because the mk4 "gti" was a disappointment, doesn't make it a worse car than the MK3s lol.)

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

maybe they were going for the 'retro' appeal.

14. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Obviously two trains of thought here on the definition of `worst`.

Is it `worst` on terms of the actual ability/performance of the car, or `worst` as in pertaining to be something it`s not?

Personally, I`d go with the latter (Leon`s theory) that the 2.0 8v Mk4 GTI just couldn`t cut the mustard, despite what the marketing men were saying.

No-one who bought a Mk3 1.4 4-speed, or whatever, were under any illusion as to what it was. Yes, they were the `worst` in the out-right performance stakes, but they would have been bought with the sole intention of getting someone from A to B, relatively comfortably and cheaply.

The `GTI` on the other hand commanded a premium over lesser models in the line-up at the time, and it was sold to people under the pretense of being a `performance` car and traded off the back of the `GTI` nomenclature, rather than actually being worthy of the title.

VW`s marketing and sale people lied to the buying public, and fleeced them of not inconsiderable sums of money for what was, despite being well built and comfortable, a no more than average performing hatchback...that is what makes it the `Worst VW Golf`...

15. DEX

This isn't the place for well reasoned arguments! I want a public slating of old sheds [:D]

I'd definitley go with the Mk4 115bhp as the worst GTI, without doubt. But of all the cars on the list, it's the one I'd pick to drive.

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ thats where we differ, imagine it - first set of lights. guy in a mango yellow saxo 1.4 with lexus lights and chav bird in the front. It would be painfull watching him bugger of into the distance. Rather be in the mk3 at least no one would try it on

17. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

:lol: :lol: :clap:

That`s how I see it too...however, there`s been a fair few chavs that have been surprised by my old shed... ;)

18. ReDBull Forum Member

I always thought the MKV has one of the most adjustable driving positions of any car I've ever driven? Other than paying someone to remap the engine you can mod the MKIV and V the same as any other GTI (some people on here can even do that). As to why there are not may MKIV owners on here, is it a true GTI? I don't know I've never driven one. [:s]

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

lastnight i was out in the GF's 1.4 fiesta, 2005, that shape. its by no means a fireball, barely moves etc

i came round a roundabout, i was taking the 3rd exit and some moron in a mk4 nearly drove into me as he joined at exit 2.

i thought id wind him up a bit as he was coming my way in a hurry, i came off the tightish roundabout in 3rd and floored it in the fiesta. the car barely moves, but i was 3-4 car lengths ahead of the golf and stayed there until at least a quarter of a mile away

mk4 2.0.... barely quicker than a fiesta 1.4. that has to be the worst golf ever made

20. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Hmm maybe it does but Susan Boyle having one of the best voices doesn't make her any more desireable.:lol:

That's my second referance to Susan Boyle in this thread, perhaps I'm in denial about my true feeling for her.[xx(]