Throttle bodies

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by lowlife, Feb 19, 2004.

1. lowlife Forum Member

On about fitting throttle bodies to my abf engined mk3 2.0 16v. Has anybody done this? Looking for performance figures and views on the conversion,also the costs and best place..

Ta.

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

gotta cost about 1k (inc ecu), dunno about the rest.

3. prof Forum Addict

4. Alan Forum Member

Weber do a complete system for about 2k or I think that Badger 5 do one at about 2400

Weber Price list for Webcon system

badger5 Some really good information on this site

5. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

hmmm...im liking that ;)

6. Alan Forum Member

Throttle bodies, carbs or a supercharger? Choices choices [:D]
    Edited by: Alan

7. prof Forum Addict

2 grand, for fks sake thats loads, then you need a good head shricks etc, so for 3.5k you get 200bhp?

just seems so much money for me, for the gains over a decent 9a like GVKs

sorry that was a bit of a rant

but for that much money you could almost buy a brand new R32 engine

or at least a 300bhp 1.8t

8. Alan Forum Member

Its a lot of money for the power, with all engine mods plus the T/B its not that far off the price of a 20VT conversion.
    Id still love one myself but just because Ive gone so far done the 16v path.

9. Joe_G Forum Member

Yeah, IMO there's not really much point modding a good 2.0 16v unless it's gonna spend all its time on track. My entire engine (165BHP) is gonna cost less than even a pair of Schricks!! Even then, the only power increase you'd see would be over 6500rpm which you're not gonna be seeing much of on the road.

At least with a 1.8T you'd really feel the extra torque at low revs that the turbo can give you.

Joe

10. Sam_Rallye Forum Member

11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I am droping a 9a in my corrado soon, engine is beign prepd by a vw motorsport ex mechanic(damn clever bloke), and ones its run in on k-jet than i'm deff going down the throttle bodies route. Fair enough for same money you can get more power out of a 1.8t but there are numerous reasons why i wouldnt. to begin with there is more to go wrong with it! and not to mention engine response, tuned 2.0l 16v on bodies is awesome! just check out vw racing mk3, nuf said. oh, and check out latest hall of the fame shootout.....16y it is!

12. Alan Forum Member

Another thing to take into accout is how much power you can realistically use in a car front wheel drive car

13. H8SV8S Forum Member

It is very expensive for pretty lame power figures... Put it this way, the Jap-spec ITR makes 236BHP from 2.0ltrs, as does the garden variety S2000. Sure, they need 9k rpm to reach it, but it's a factory engine!

I'll be honest here and say that if I knew how much the conversion cost in the end (if you don't do it yourself), I would've just gone a 150BHP 1.8T swap into the Ibiza and just Revo'd it to over 200BHP (which I think is a nice figure in a fairly light, FWD, street car). I've done my homework on this and could have had even a 180BHP 1.8T with a chip for LESS than the 16v on t/b's...

I'm still not sure on what camshafts to pick, I was going down the 268/276 route, but now think it might be a bit mad for my 100% daily driver, as I don't want to have to ring its nuts off to overtake all the time! [:s]

Then this raises the qn of is it worth it on a standard internal engine (I have this at the moment), the answer: NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!! They just increase the fuel consumption for a very small gain in power and torque. It's a matter of finding the right cams to get 200BHP (otherwise it's just not worth it with any less BHP) and still have driveability, maybe 260/268's? who knows.

I'll decide what I think of the engine when mine it's complete, but if I don't like it, it'll be straight on eBay to fund my 1.8T swap [8(]

Oh, performance figures: Look at dropping a couple of tenths from the stock figures if you do it on a standard engine and maybe a second off the 0-60 and probably 1 - 2 seconds from the 1/4 mile - nothing to write home about, really.

Ok, that's the negatives out of the way, the postives are:

-Shaking any cement object with the induction sound
    -the sound itself
    -the driveabilty (with stock cams, the torque comes in 1,000RPM lower)
    -the throttle response
    -the ability to make decent horsepower (although as above, it is big $$$)

There's not that many postives, but don't let me sway you yet, this is just my opinion @ the moment. Maybe I'll be surprised when I fit the cams and head...I'll let you know ;)

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If we go back to those graphs Prof did, even getting to 190bhp on K-JET will cost a 1000 :o

Yes ITBs sound the dogs, but for a mk2 that's worth less than 2 grand it's really not worth it in my opinion.

15. Sam_Rallye Forum Member

I can vouch for throttle bodies sounding mental, friend has the 1.6
    16v version of my engine on tb's and it sounds alot more raw
    compared to mine on dcoes, alot of people have said to me that thait
    tb'd mi16 [1.9 16v] engines shake the dash on theirs !

16. H8SV8S Forum Member

I agree. By the time my car is finished, I'll have nearly payed for it again in engine work alone for a not even guaranteed 200BHP... [:^(] [:x] [8(] [:s] [xx(]

17. H8SV8S Forum Member

Well that's the good part! You feel the induction vibrate through the steering wheel and gearknob!! :lol:

18. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Not the point tho is it!
    ;)
    Class racing is capacity driven...
    Its a motorsport product which also works on fast road cars... as was demonstrated by me old Jetta for quite a few years.

19. badger5

Comparing 1.8T (TURBO!!!!) with a n/a 16v.. :lol:
    Come on guy..

apples and pears..
    16v motor is fairly lame to begin with. Needs head, cams to want to breath better, and an injection/induction system to top it off.. (IF) you want to continue development..

VW 16v motor is'nt in the same league as Honda units... Sad but true..
    Add some t'bodies on a nice V-tech motor tho [:D]

20. badger5

Plenty for t'bodies...

>350bhp in my Ibiza.. Very drivable
    (cheating 1.8T powered :p so has torque as well)