Throttle bodies

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by lowlife, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Alan Forum Member

do you think that the split duration cams work well with TB's?

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

:lol: Will you be in the Ibiza next Saturday mr B?

3. Alan Forum Member

bill, I'd love to see one of your cars on track, they all sound mad. Have you got rid of the Jetta now?

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Not for a tired out MK2 road car...

For someone wanting to compete in a 16v based VAG car its a different proposition.

T'bodies are not your usual fast road setup unless you're an enthusiast... They are not magic add shed loads of power like some people compare to 1.8T's. N/A tuning is NEVER going to be as cheap bang for buck. Wish it was.

If you've developed a 16v as far as you can go on stock injection, they are the next step... Compare the investment to get a properly worked up 16v motor, then consider the next step.. weigh up the costs and decide. Abandon it for 1.8T power transplant (not cheap in itself) or finish the 16v n/a development.

Raceing classes are capacity driven... so your 1.8T's are 1.7 x 1781 capacity 3027cc Classified

5. H8SV8S Forum Member

True, but I'm talking on the basis of money here. And yes, I agree the 16v is ratsh1t next to a Honda engine or a Toyota 4AGE for that matter.

6. Alan Forum Member

mmmmmmmmm........20v toyota 4age running on stock TB's [:D]

7. badger5

TB's are plain old valves... let air in or not.
    ECU mapping makes or breaks a cam setup.
    split duration or wild cams can all be optimised on TB's WITH a suitably mapped ecu.

Kris Valdez runs 268/276 Schrick combo on his t'bodies MK2 racer.. made 186bhp to the wheels I think..

What use do you intend for the car? Where do you want the power... all questions which can effect decision on specs. IanB runs this combo on K-Jet to good effect. Can only run better on a mapped ecu and t'bodies.
    regards
    bill

8. badger5

Should be... but not on my bnew g'box. [:^(]
    Stock box.. no diff, and hoping it won't go bang on the day!

9. H8SV8S Forum Member

Apparently the 16v 4A has more power potential! But still ultimately a 1600 is a bit pants, they're just well designed motors, I think. I've always wanted an old sprinter for drifting :lol:

10. Alan Forum Member

have you seen the spec on the supercharged 16v 4age?
    A 1.6 sould not be able to make that much torque [:D]

saw a decent sprinter for sale for daft low money a few years ago, disided that I'd think about it after seening and it had sold by the time I went back to buy it [:^(]

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

[:^(] Be careful Bill :lol:

12. H8SV8S Forum Member

Yep. Those GZE's are pretty mad motors, considering they're quite old! There's a few old corollas running the engines around here and my car doesn't stand a chance at the moment! [:^(]

13. badger5

I know... EAK!
    Not got a nice warm fuzzy feeling about it [:^(]
    Fingers crossed I won't be employing the services of Mr AA man again.

14. prof Forum Addict

Bill

sorry if my comments came over a bit negative about throttle bodies, i was just trying to explain that for a road bound mk2 then a 1.8t will give more usable welly for less money than a throttle bodied valver.

if you are in a 2.0l racing class then throttle bodies are ideal, just not many of us are ;)

15. badger5

]
    Hey no worries.. :)
    I receive a lot of calls about t'bodies... How much power how much money... fit them onto stock engine... (Nooooooo don't waste your time)

Its not everyones cup of tea... but some serious guys have developed their motors as far as they can on the factory injection, have much time and money invested in the rest of the engine and car, but still want more.. This is where t'bodies and mappable ecu step in.

On a good base engine which wants to breath, 9A BRM motor for example, a 37bhp gain was had from changing from ABF style injection to throttle bodies. (remapped to suit, same Lumenition ecu in this example) - Downside is cost of course. Want a fast road car, 1.8T is mighty appealing and chip tuning is relatively cheap for the gains you get. Chase big turbo power tho and again its ker-ching time..$$$
    regards
    bill

16. lowlife Forum Member

Hi Bill,
    The engine in question is mine! with 34k on the clock it want need rebuilding, the head have been ported and polished to stage 3 kent cams have been fitted 4 branch s/steel manifold, exhaust with decat pipe, so my next stage is to go to Throttle bodies!!!!! The car is driven quite hard on a daily basis, dont wana go down the 20v turbo road want somthing abit more RAW !

17. prof Forum Addict

better go rob the post office then ;)

18. badger5

Need a quick get away car? :lol:

19. H8SV8S Forum Member

Back on the stock engine thing - Mine is supposed to have 187BHP (although I am very much questioning this figure from my dodgy ex workshop)... If this is correct (I have to take it to a different dyno), then with my new head and cams, I should have a well torquey and powerful engine...just have to be patient I guess!

While you are on here, Bill, how long does it take to setup the car on t/b's (just physically get it running, without mapping) as mine was in the shop for just under a month and I payed all that in labour costs [:x] !!!

20. barny Forum Member

That'll be me !! :)