timing spot on,98RON but...

Discussion in 'Engines' started by HidRo, Aug 30, 2004.

1. HidRo Forum Member

oh man...
    i got the timing at 6 with a timing light,(timing light set to 0 and notch apearing in the flywheel)
    the fuel i'm using is 98RON,so it should be ok!
    BUT IT STILL PINGS! [xx(] [xx(]
    what the hell is going on?my dist is brand new,with the cap and rotor!why the hell does it ping!?
    it only pings in low revs,on wide open throtle...
    help me out on this one... [xx(]

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Lean mixture can cause it to ping, also there`s a small possibility the flywheel`s not actually in the right postion in relation to the crank, you can check it by finding TDC with a long screwdriver on cylinder number 1 and cheking the flywheel position.

Could also be carbon deposits in the head?

3. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Head been skimmed in the past??

Do a compression test and post the values.

4. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, mine was the same but im running it on standard unleaded. My flywheel was out.

5. HidRo Forum Member

head skimmed in the past,i can't be sure,but it wasn't doing this a few months back...and when i got it,it was runing fine with 95RON!
    but i know the vaccum pipe do the black box in the engine compartmend(vaccum advance i believe) was out...the car was runing real strong!
    carbon deposits,i don't have a clue!cause in 2years and half i have this car,it hasn't given me to many mechanical failures!
    about the leaning,it was hunting some time back,i tried to back it a litle bit,and set the idle.but the ISV wasn't working.when i got it to work,the idle is at 1100,1200RPM.and the car doesn't hunt any more.so a tweak in the CO might do the trick?

6. Golden Forum Junkie

You have to dissconect the red/black wire with the white plug by the coil when setting the engine up or the ISV tries to compensate for any adjustments you make.

7. HidRo Forum Member

yes,that part i know.i've read the miraculous page from GVK [:D]
    but the this is,what else could it be? [xx(]

8. HidRo Forum Member

what would happen if i remove and plug the vaccum hose to the timing box?
    it would ping?what would i have to do,to make it not ping?
    cause the car came to me with that hose disconnected!

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

If you removed the vacuum feed to the ecu, it would stop it advancing under load, and stop it pinging BUT there must either be a problem with the timing or the ecu itself to cause this fault in the first place? Sound like the owner before you couldn`t sort it out so bodged it!

Have you tried another ecu on it?

10. HidRo Forum Member

what exactly does the ECU does?
    i've never understood,because this car is suposed to not have ECU?at least that,it what i've told all this time! [xx(]
    PS...i've always been told,you can't chip it...

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It has an ignition ECU, not anything to do with the fuel. All it does is control the ignition timing, and it uses the vacuum to control this (amongst other inputs, of course).
    How many miles are on the engine, and do you have the right spark plugs in?

12. HidRo Forum Member

the plugs are a litle bit old...i've never changed them.so,at least,they are 2 and 1/2 years...
    the engine is 220k km.
    and i'm feeling a bit of hesitation when cold,mainly on 2nd gear...in low revs..what can this be?

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Quite possibly the plugs, if they are that old! You might alsop have some carbon build-up inside the head causing the pinking, you could try feeding water down a vacuum pipe to get rid of that......

14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Do the plugs as TSC said, hesitation when cold sounds like it`s running lean or the WUR isn`t working properly?

15. HidRo Forum Member

hesitation when cold,is just a tinny litle bit :)
    i was thinking of getting the plugs renewed already.
    and the process of water in the vaccum pipes,isn't dangerous?i've read somewere that it could damage your engine...i that is just something i don't want to... [xx(]

the car today did some km,and i noticed that,only when absolutly hot(92+C) it starts to ping in really low revs,in high gears!
    from 1000 to 1200,it doesn't seem to,but from 1200 to 1600 it pings! [xx(]

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The water in the engine isn't dangerous - pull off the vacuum pipe that goes to the ecu (pull it off the ECU, not the manifold!), and hold the engine at about 3000rpm with the pipe end sunk in about a litre of water. It'll slowly suck up all the water and turn it to steam inside the combustion chamber, which will crack off all the carbon and send it blowing out the exhaust along with the steam. If you really want to see how much comes out, park the car with the exhaust against a white-painted wall first, so you can see all the crap that has come out of your engine!

17. HidRo Forum Member

but i read somewere that if you are not carefull,and too much water goes in,you can mess things up!shouldn't you dip,take out,dip and soo forward the vaccum pipe?
    and the thing that takes the vaccum pipe is the ecu,what is the other thing that has a plug with 8 or 10 or more pins connected,on the other side of the car?

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The ignition amplifier. It won't damage the engine to let it suck water - the vacuum tube is too small for it to suck in too much water at one time. If the engine bogs down too much then take the pipe out, but at about 3000rpm it will normally just run a bit rough as it sucks the water in.

19. HidRo Forum Member

what does the ignition amplifier do?does it often crap off? [:D]

ok,might try to do the water thing,but should i do it,before or after the plugs renoval?

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I'd do it after, so you know it's firing well! The ignition amp takes the signal from the hall sender in the distributor, amplifies it, and sends it to the coil to produce a spark. They normally either die totally or are fine, not likely to be the cause of your problem!