tyres - calling on your experience

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by wolfsburg85, Oct 1, 2004.

?

What would be your choice from the following???

1. Uniroyal Rainsports

28.6%
  2. Yokohama A539

7.1%
  3. Kumho Ecsta Supra 712

7.1%
  4. Toyo T1-s

57.1%
  5. Nankang

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Fulda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Claypole Forum Junkie

I nearly crapped myself the first time I went out in the rain when I had a full set on my Corrado VR6. :lol:

I honestly couldn't believe they'd the cheek to sell tyres so crappy.

The A520's were soooo much better all round. Progress my arse. [:x]

2. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I've got Nankang's on mine. Good grip in the dry and I've done just under 10k miles and there is probably a few thousand left. Grip in the wet is not so good, I'm used to it now and can purposely get the back when ever I want, but I never feel totally comfortable trying to push them hard when its wet.

3. Raider Forum Member

Ive always had Yoko 510s and 539s and Michelin Pilots on my Golf. The Yokos grip well in the dry but are poo in the wet [:s] The Michelins just didnt last well at all and werent that impressive either where as the Pilots on my Merc have last 15000kmiles and provide mucho grip in all conditions.

4. Claypole Forum Junkie

Ahhh A510's those were the days... :lol:

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

All yokos are pants in the rain.

Toyos are good all rounders but a bit soft. Had about 5 thousand miles out a set with still plenty of tread left though, enough for 2000-3000 more.

The Eagle F1s are pretty expensive but easily the best tyre ive owned, however, i voted for Toyos as they are damn cheap.

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

which michelins were they? i had a set of pilot sports earlier this year and they were awful, way too hard and just didn't work at all in the wet (i suspect they weren't getting upto temparature...thats what it felt like anyway).

however, i had pilot SX GT's as o.e. equiptment on my punto and they weren't too bad. another one of my friends used these and swears by them.

7. H8SV8S Forum Member

The old style Eagle F1s are really good and mine lasted ages on the road (completely fell to bits on the track, though!)

I've just bought some new GSD3 Eagle F1s and they SUCK in the dry; I mean really suck [:^(] Might have something to do with being made in Thailand, though ;)

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

thats weird...my mate reckons the gsd2's are really rubbish but the gsd3's are superb.

9. Raider Forum Member

The Pilots on the Golf I had I cant remember but they are Pilot Primacys on the Merc. Front have hardly worn after 15k miles and the rears are still legal :) But got a new pair ready for going on.

10. Raider Forum Member

Ive heard the gsd2's are better than the gsd3's. But will probably give the 3's a go on the Golf when its back.

11. GolfBryan Forum Member

I had GSD2's on my old GTI and loved them!

Think I will buy toyo's next time round as they are cheap and most people say they are good!

12. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

I've gone for a set of Toyo proxies t1-s in the end, couldnt really argue for the price and reputation.

Cheers for the comments :thumbup:

13. Rosco Forum Member

Proxe's get my vote, Just put two new ones on the front last week the old ones having lasted me about 8k miles. I take it your from Derby wolfsburg85...where abouts? I'm from Derby too

14. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

Glad to here that [:D]

I'm in littleover, where abouts are u mate?

15. Rosco Forum Member

Originally from Spondon but I'm now living just outside of Ashbourne... Do you got to the CGTI meets?

16. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

Cool,

unfortunately I always end up working nearly every Sunday, so I can't usually make it.Keep promising myself to book the next one off!

Do you usually make it down?

17. Rosco Forum Member

I did earlier in the year but with moving house and the summer show season its been difficult. Went on the rolling road day back in April, that was ace!!!

18. Carl S Forum Member

Toyo's are excellent grip, but do go off if pushed on the track too hard (beading strips of rubber) fantastic grip in the dry, not too shoddy in the wet either. Don't last too long though [:v:]

The best all rounders I have had for the road were Bridgestone Potenza RE02. directional tyres, had them as replacements on my old Mk4 GTI, so much better than the old P6000's in both the dry and wet.

19. prof Forum Addict

h8sv8s, where we live it's never dry so F1s are the ideal choice :lol:

20. H8SV8S Forum Member

LOL @ prof - well I suppose that's true, mate!!

About the gsd3's: I heard they're made in two different places, Thailand (like mine) and somewhere else. Apparently the Thai ones suck and the others are really good. Don't know if this is a true rumour but it makes sense if some ppl think they're great and others don't.