Vag tacho for coding keys

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by tshirt2k, Jul 31, 2009.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

think it would need to be connected to the immobilised type because i think its stored in there. Or through immo box connected to an immobilised ecu. Were you getting a connection?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I could connect to the ecu and the transponder box fine, read error codes and measuring blocks (I connected the tps and wiggled it about).
    both VAG-COM and VAG-TACHO work no problem using their respective cables, just it tells me error or access denied when trying to read the pin. I'll give it another go later on with the imobilised ecu I have, if I can find it :lol:

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

mmm.. thats what error i get with the car i tried . Haven't connected vag com to it yet.

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I've owned VAG-Com for a few years now but this is the first time I've heard of VAG-Tacho... & it sounds interesting.

So VAG-Com cant pull SKC pins from the ECU/immobiliser?

I have a MK316V which needs an adjustement to the odometer as I stuck in 16V Colour Concept clocks last year and they read 17k under - Can VAG-Tacho perform the adjustement as I really can't be bothered buying an EEPROM reader and hacking the damn thing and I'm too tight to pay some 'dodgy geezer' 80 odd quid to do something that if I got of my ar$e I could do myself - I know its a tiny EEPROM but I really can't be bothered.

Where why and how do I get my paws on a copy and cable etc?

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Al, if you had a mkiv, passat, a3,a4 etc you could adjust the mileage. vag tacho can be had off ebay fairly cheap tho. handy for keys especially when you don't have to go to a dealer.

6. Admin Guest

How did you get on with this Rubjonny?

7. rubjonny

I managed to source a matched transponder and key, tried to retiureive the SKC without the key in the ring and it said access denied. repeated the test with the key in the transponder ring and I was able to retrieve the SKC :)

8. Admin Guest

So it worked then? Good to know, i have only one key for the car and was hoping to code a new key, to do this would i need VAG TACHO and a new key from VW?

Are the keys expensive?

I have in the cars paperwork a key request that has the keys number on there would it be best get VW to program the key with this paperwork when i buy a new one from them or should i buy VAG TACHO and do it myself?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
  9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Just get vag tacho. For the price of a key from Vw you can buy it and reprogram your key and any others you may need. It can also retrieve code from mk4's passats, seats skodas etc. And adjust mileage on various platforms. ;) If you know what your doing. Can also do some other fancy stuff.

You dont need to go to VW. Just go to a locksmiths shop with your key, get them to copy it onto the right type of key, then you can reprogram it. Using the pin code from Vag tacho.

10. rubjonny

if you have the SKC code from a previous key programming, you dont even need vag-tacho! you can do it with vag-com :thumbup:

clicky

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

12. Admin Guest

Interesting RJ, seems it is possiable but i need 4 bits of info;

7-digit SKC that the dealer generated for your exact Immobilizer ID Number.
    Date on which the 7-digit SKC was GENERATED BY THE DEALER.
    Workshop Code (WSC) for the dealer that generated the SKC.
    Importer Number for the dealer that generated the SKC.

I have the SKC, the date and the importer no, i do not have the WSC and according to Ross-tech if one of these peices of info is incorrect or missing VAG-COM will not be able to recode the key for me.

Looks like VAG - TACHO is the way to go.

13. rubjonny

ah, is it a 7 digit code rather than 4 then?

edit: just found this usefull bit of info:

14. Admin Guest

Yep its the 7 digit code that i have.

15. rubjonny

16. Admin Guest

That looks good to me, the paperwork i have for the SKC does not have a dealer address or name so it would make trying to find the WSC very difficult, think ill spend the 15 and get VAG-TACHO. :thumbup:

cheers all.

17. m1keh Forum Member

Did you ever get this working on a mk3 with a seperate immo box? Trying to read my Ibiza's code with a vag-tacho cable but having no joy. It will read the immo boxes number but nothing more.

18. rubjonny

yep it worked fine for me, as above you need a matched key in the ignition to get the SKC off a mk3 type seperate immob box

19. m1keh Forum Member

hmm maybe I have a dodgy lead then. I've got a matched key in the ignition, tryed both of my matched key's with no difference.

20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

IIRC. Seat have a different immo box option in Vag Tacho.

Have you tried " Get pin"

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010