valver under 7 secs 0-60 - how?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by daviddd, Aug 10, 2004.

1. DarrenW Forum Junkie

hah hah good point! I haven't been awake for long :lol:

2. VWJ1M Forum Member

Use a 1.6 mk1 Gearbox ;) + 2.0L + a mk1. [:D]

3. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

well i ran 7.3 - 60 at inters

in the rain, and that was when the engine wouldn't rev past 5k - so i had to use third (had to go into third at about 58)

so my old one would have defo hit 60 in 7 in the dry after the engine was set up

4. VWJ1M Forum Member

At inters ( which i know might not be 100% accurate) i ran a 6.7 to 60 [:D]

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Daljsd as he is known has a 1.8kr 16v with tsr 4-branch, k&n panel filter, cut-out airbox, fuelling adjustments and that is it! Running with standard bbs ra's on 195-50-15's.

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have managed 5.8sec 0-60's at inters 2003 but thats always disputable & I take it that you want sub 7sec in a mk2.

7. Nav16v Paid Member Paid Member

2.0l with good cams and a pro setup will get u in the 6sec barcket.
    Me and vw singh have a m8 with that setup and i think he was between 6.7 - 6.9 sec. very fast car though. ;) that was at inters on the sat.

8. daviddd Forum Member

most of that's simple to apply, but what would the 'fuelling adjustments' be about VW?

9. wussel Forum Member

Yeah? My KR is a bit weak in the fueling area at the top end, though not lean, just not rich enough for optimum performance.

10. davidwort Forum Member

GTI Engineering's 2.1 Club Sport demo car was a 6.5 sec 0-60 mk2 16v motor, I believe it too, I drove it in the early 90's, very torquey.

David.

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

At your local rolling road, adjust the WUR to increase fuelling top end so the Lambda measures approx 4% at peak revs on the gas analyser. This should sort out the issue.

12. ViCk Forum Member

FWD cars are always gonna be hard to launch, you need to have the right set up. Decent grippy tyres, correct weight distribution etc.

vw_singh has a very well setup car, hence the very good 0-60 times.

13. young dub Forum Member

And his starts are awesome! Always fun to watch that video of him at pod!

14. Jommanjo Forum Member

My bro's MK1 2L16v track car has a v.impressive 2nd & 3rd gear acceleration :o , with a 'box code that reads "dgh 14057" - anyone know what it's from? Derv? Mk1?

Will be having it for myself soon, and need to know whether to retain the original 020.

15. scos Forum Member

I just chucked an ABF in mine and went up to Stealth the other day. I haven't timed it but I reckon I could do 0-60 and still have time to make a cup of tea before 7 seconds elapsed :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. daviddd Forum Member

eee by gum - I like the sound of that vw_s :p - what car / setup is that?

17. daviddd Forum Member

SUMMARY
    OK the story so far - to get a valver to do a 7 sec 60 or better one could do the following:-
    -fit a gearbox with a long second gear or with a final drive that gives shorter gearing (is such a gearbox buyable easily?)
    -fit a 2 litre 16V lump e.g. 6A, ABF (presumably retain K-jet for simplicity)
    -fit other improvements such as high-perf camshaft (which??? [:s] )K&N Panel; low resistance exhaust e.g. Scorpion, or better? [:s] ; TSR 4-branch manifold; cut-out airbox; adjust WUR "to increase fuelling at the top end so lambda measures approx 4% peak revs" (what does this mean in simple terms? VJ_S?); ensure good weight distribution (again VJ, how to achieve this?)
    - test car on a smooth road with every bit of weight stripped outy and with slicky tyres :lol:

Quite a few more questions raised than answers, but all told I sense that 7 secs or even 6.5 isn't at all unattainable without spending a fortune - I would appreciate some thoughtful answers to these questions guys (and gals [:$] ) and I undretake to summarise the results ( and hopefully build THE car! [:D] [:D] [:D] )

Over to you.....SUMMARY

18. young dub Forum Member

Also make sure you keep practising your starts, and try different techniques(sp) like where to keep the revs with minimal wheelspins.

19. VWJ1M Forum Member

And no numpty reving it on the line!

That soo makes me laugh! [:D]

Did we mention sticky sticky tyres?

20. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The KR gearbox (code 2Y) is one of the shortest 'boxes you can get from factory. This will get to 60mph in 2nd as long as you redline it. Reducing the gearing length by means of a final drive change will also increase your accerelation but you wont get to 60mph in 2nd anymore. However, shorter gears works wonders for the 16v engine. Cams are not a necessity and work better after getting a flowed head ($$$$$). A good running car to begin with always helps. I always take the head off and clean them up along with a gentle skim. Get rid of all the deposits and re-lap the valves.

My car is a 1.8kr with a flowed head, four branch manifold and a fuelling setup. If you are unsure about the fuelling setup, get it done from someone like Stealth racing. My old time was with a 2Y box and 15inch wheels. Now I have an AUG box with a Quaife diff and the same size wheels. My 0-60 hasnt changed but I am 2/10ths of a second faster over the 1/4mile.

If you want a seriously quick yet cheaply built car, start with the following.

1)2.0l 16v 9a engine from corrado/passat.
    2)Fit a KR inlet cam or do the dual exhaust mod to the head.(Do a search if unsure what this is)
    3)Use a short ratio box with uprated clutch.
    4)I would say use a 4-branch manifold with uprated engine mounts but up to the owner.
    5)Proper setup with someone who knows what they are doing, e.g Stealth.
    6)Should get about 165-170bhp easy.

If you cant get a 7 or less sec 0-60 with that then you cant drive! ;) :lol:

Strip out the car as much as poss. Always help better your power to weight ratio. All these times stated are with road tyres too.

If you use a mk1, you will always be quicker than the equivalent mk2.