Vince mk2 20vT (Back! and with mods) wifes Exeo ST Sport and B6 Sline on 19s now

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by M7R, Jul 20, 2008.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

the plastic wings saved about a whhhooppp 5kg :lol: but it will all add up, as there will be a bonnet on there over winter too...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Thats not a bad saving really as the factory wings aren't exactly heavy in the first place.

Been looking to shed some pounds from mine too-Oh how i wish carbon fibre was cheaper[:^(]

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

by end of play today I had got the following extra jobs done:

ALL of the engine bay wrining is now done, inc a new power lead from the battery to the starter and replacing all of the old crap wiring in the engine bay!!! I eneded up doing loads!
    the lower brace is back on,
    header tank back on and the coolant filled up,
    oil filter back on and oil filled,
    air filter on,
    bonnet catch modded to clear the intercooler so the bonnet now shuts properly,

I think thats about it.... all thats left now is to bolt the battery tray into the boot, and fit the earth wire and the clamp to the live wire, then refit the ARB, upper strut brace, bolt the ecu in place and the find out where to put the random wire from the ecu, then bodge the exhaust and its done! :lol:

and as requested here pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You will like that combo.
    It worked well on the mild boost we had it set-up at.

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I hope so, If I can ever get the bugger to crank over that is!!!

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

IT LIVES!!!!

after some playing with relays and extra wires etc the car caughed into life just before 9 tonight!!! I still need to get the exhaust welded up and run a bigger wire from the battery to the starter but it does start now, its just a little lazy to crank over due to the cable not being big enough [8(] so tomorrow I will try a bigger cable and then if thats still no enough there will also be a bigger battery too,

I also need to look at the oil pressure switches as the lights now maddly flashing on the dash, but I may have the wires the wrong way round as im sure the gauge was reading pressure.

I cant wait to get it all sorted and go for a proper run!! :thumbup:

7. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Quickly becoming one of my favourite MK1's. I'm aiming for something similar engine wise once I get a full time job etc. Very nice! :thumbup:

8. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Cheers dude :thumbup: its no show winner as the body works ok but not mint, but that makes it even more fun when you blow the chavs in their saxos etc into the weeds :lol:

Ill get some pics tonight if its dry of the finished engine bay now all the braces etc are back on, :p

9. James_mk2 Forum Member

I for one demand video :lol:

10. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

as requested, the main noise is the dump valve dumping all the extra boost to atmos as its not needed at idle, and it still sounds a bit rough as I havent done the exhaust yet :lol: but it will be going to have that sorted tomorrow :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I have had the exhaust sorted today (driving the 6 miles to town with fun with the manfold just slotted over the middle pipe!! off boost was ok-ish, stray on boost a little and it wa sstupidly loud!)

now the exhaust is sorted i just need to redo the belt run, as at the mo its turning the water pump backwards which is doing sod all!!! there is also a lower temp stat going in tomorrow too, then its ready for some fun and to see if the lower temps cures the pinking at low revs.

I have had one go on boost and its ssoooooo much fun! its a bit of an animal! and sounds sooooooooo good! it has a real deep rasp/burble to it and then when the revs get up the charger while just takes over!

12. James_mk2 Forum Member

Glad it's all in and running so quickly! Will be an absolute monster i'm sure!

13. Polog4tracer Forum Member

What Eaton supercharger is it, m62 or m90?

Engine sounds good! I'd love to drive a 16v with one fitted, as i guess it'd suit the 16v characteristics so much! The polo M45 ones used to build up boost progressively and more smoothly so get better traction than a G60 fitted with its wallop of torque hitting you (although great fun). Very good on track.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  14. Polog4tracer Forum Member

What power shall this beast be running btw?

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

its the m62 charger thats fitted, it seems to give a good punch from low down and spin up nice and fast,

the power is supost to be around the 210-220 mark, but megasquirt appears to have thrown a small wobbly at the mo with regards to the position sensor, but it should be sorted soon when I work out what I am doing [:$] and then i should be able to unleash the full power then, but the first signs are promising for the trackdays

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

to help keep things going I have done a small bodge for now and just retarded the dizzy while I try and get the megasquirt software to work on my laptop... its helped but its not perfect. but it does mean that with my new home made tesnioner bracket I am mobile and able to give the car some bean... its nippy and at motorway speeds its sooo much fun as it just does not slow down even in 5th gear, theres sooo much torque, its like driving my tdi

I have also got some more coil overs to fit this autum as I won in the mk1 owners club raffle :) so this means I will now be able to fine tune the ride height as the FKs that are on there are all siezed up due to a lack of protection by the last owner [xxx]

17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

hhmm after 3 trips to gsf I have finally got the right length belt for the charger using the new belt run I made up, Tensioned up the belt fine, checked too see if my new bracket would flex, all looked good, started the car

NO NOISE!!! RESULT!! as anyone who was at the AGM show will know it was screaching a bit before with the belt that was too long!

a few revs... and then the belt went slack,

first thought is the tesnion came undone and swivvled round allowing the belt to go slack, but unpon closer inspection its just bent my quick fix bracket over now its properly tensioned so sunday will be spent designing and making a new bracket,

oh and I still cant get mega squirt to seak to my laptop so anyone whos any good with it drop me a pm as I need help as I need to check the trigger angle but cant do this till the laptop and ecu are talking.

18. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

not updated this for agggeeessss! and alots changed!

firstly I got the mk1 running pretty much right, a smidge warm but ok, went like stink and sounded sssoooo good with the eaton charger screaming away, it went to curby in september and put in some ok times but I was struggling with traction due to too much power.

then I had a moment of madness and put the mk1 up for sale as I wanted a change of direction, the first thought was another mk1 as a proper hard core track car with a full multi point cage etc etc but then I was tempted more and more by a mk2, and after a while I was really into the idea of a mk2 with a 1.8t under the bonnet.

the mk1 sold, some one came to see it before I went to korea and then the day after i got back boris was collected, the next day I went down to kent to see a mk2 20vt that had tickled my fancy, it was a 400 mile round trip but if the car was as good as it lookied it should have been worth it.

after 400 miles and nearly 10 hours driving we returned home with this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the main specs are:
    •Mk2 90spec GTI 8V Shell
    •1.8T AUQ engine from Octavia VRS 2004
    •Quaiffe LSD 02J Box with tdi 5th gear
    •ECS Stage 1 clutch
    •Corrado pedal box and hydraulic clutch
    •Weitec Coilovers
    •Eibach ARB's Front and rear
    •Polybushed all round front and rear
    •Bremsport 4pot brakes with 295mm discs on seperate bells
    •Electric windows
    •Octavia VRS leather seats front and rear
    •K04 Turbo
    •Carbon BMC Airbox
    •MBE Standalone ECU
    •OZ Supertourismo alloys powdercoated in anthrecite
    •Dakota digital gauges imported from america fitted into centre dash vents
    •mk4 shifter
    •chromed rocker cover
    •custom 2.5" exhaust system

theres loads more to the car but thats the overview of it, thers a couple of little bits I will do over the next year or so, like new wings as under the G60 archs some ones rolled the metal arches but not sealed them properly, so they are just starting to look a little bit scabby, but you can only see that if you look up in the arch, the rears seem pretty ok but again I will get them fettled, theres also a few scratches and a couple of car park dents on the door to sort out, but nothing major and it will be fully fettled next winter. the only big job i want to sort out this winter is a new bonnet as the one thats on is shot round the front edge, and get the head lining back in, plus sort out the ducting for the air box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did plan to pull out the 1/2 leather seats and cage it with buckets etc, but the cars already stupidly fast! so I think that car is going to be more of a sleeper, keeping the interior more stock looking but having the power and suspension set up to show up a few of the bigger boys on trackdays.

19. Admin Guest

very tidy...

i keep thinking about Mk2s at the moment..... terribly dirty thoughts:lol:

20. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

:lol: I thought long and hard about leaving the mk1s, but first signs are the change is worth it :thumbup: