** Water cooling System Upgrade - Sub zero here I come **

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Ezy D, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

I dunno.. vista runs fine on mine with crysis on ultra ultra high :p
    (pc temps are way higher than ures though being traditional rather than watercooled)

2. voteforpedro Forum Member

What happens if you didn't fasten one of the tubes in tight enough? :lol:

3. voteforpedro Forum Member

I went through various tutorials in a bid to trim down my XP install but it's futile - there's just too much ****.

Which is why I like Linux now. :)

To be fair Guild Wars runs better in Wine on my Ubuntu box than it did in XP. There's about a 5 fps increase, no lie. There are quite a few graphical glitches and problems though being as Wine only emulates the Windows kernels etc.

But goes to show that, if games developers worked together to try and make real ports for Linux, they would run very well indeed. :thumbup:

4. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Yeah if only people did work together we wouldn't be in this Windows mess with an outdated & inefficient method of disk storage (NTFS) and archaic operating systems.

After 6 years of serious messing around with XP both at home and for professional purposes I've now got it down to running 20 processes in the background and committing only 180Mb to those processes :lol: That's some serious knee capping of extraneous processes that provide little or no benefit. Hence a mega speedy kernel and 0% to complain about. No crashes ever of anything regardless of file size, complexity of programme, amount of windows open at any one time nor duration of gaming sessions :thumbup: :lol:

The problem with Linux is that once problems occur and you need to delve deeper that the GUI if you're not a code freak or a rocket scientist then the average user is lost. A shame really if it only received more professional support to make it more robust it would be wonderful. It is the perfect solution for using on servers, I rarely use anything else for such things.

It is a real shame that Microsoft has such leverage and controls the market place. It has been stagnating for years now and Vista is definately a point in case ! (no Vista rant, done it far too many times). What is worse that as Microsoft stagnates it is affecting innovation and the enitre marketplace. There is little advancement at the moment in Operating Systems when you feel that hardware is really starting to evolve and could perform wonderous things, OS's are far too constraining. No Apple Mac digs please as Microsoft is a shareholder and thus is inextricably linked to Apple, but also they use Intel hardware and are practically PC's too now. Hmmm ... homogenisation strikes again. The rich coporations have far too much influence and power when it comes to technological innovation (or lack thereof!). They basically dictate what we use and buy [8(] (with the rare exception).

Anyway enough politics :lol:

Temps wise :

CPU Idle = 26C (@3.2Ghz) not pushing it at all.
    GPU Idle = 34C

CPU Load = 36C
    GPU Load = 40C

:lol: Taking the mickey or what !

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. Phil. Forum Junkie

:clap:

That's just ridiculous!

Quick look at CoreTemp, mine is sitting 47*C while doing nothing!

6. voteforpedro Forum Member

No comment regarding rant - I couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup:

Anyway, here's mine:

Can't vouch for its accuracy though. [:p] CPU seems awfully hot... not even under load... must investigate.

7. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

:lol:

Edit the GPU temp ... (updated the software)

GPU Idle = 32C

:lol:

Oppps just checked my CPU temps (updated the software again ... working now)

[​IMG]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just messing with more temps ... during BF2142 after an hour or so ....

CPU Load = 28C ..... LOOOL

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. SixSevenTwo Forum Member

Shame none of that water cooling is needed ;) - jsut leave the side panel off for heat release

same as my old GFX card, though - it's a decent one :)

still - looks the muts nuts

9. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Well it has been a while n'est pas ? Bon, alors q'est que on va fair alors ?

I felt it was high time for an upgrade, so some nice things to throw into the mix [8D] Prepare yourselves ......

New hard drives ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, that's right SSD ;) Add a copy of Win7 64 bit into the mix ... and literally ... GAME ON :thumbup:

[​IMG]

New Mobo time .... Asus P7P55D-E Pro

[​IMG]

Slip in a Core i5 760 (quad core) cpu ... which unexplainably has the multiplier unlocked ! ? :o [}:)]

[​IMG]

Time for a new water block

[​IMG]

Add in some mega low latency RAM ....

[​IMG]

A preliminary fitting ....

[​IMG]

Tubing fitted and running ..... after 30 minutes of removing the air locks :lol:

[​IMG]

In full flow [:$]

[​IMG]

Halo effect :thumbup:

[​IMG]

So all in all ..... flying !

Start up time = 12 seconds
    Shut down time = 4 seconds
    Adobe Photoshop start time = 1 second

Time for the torture tests.

Next upgrade, water cool the RAM and new video card ( the list never ends).

Cheers,

Ezy :thumbup:

p.s. yes that is G11 coolant in there [:$]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  10. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Awesome upgrade!

Only an 80GB SSD? Pah!:p

Ive been running a 120 for ages. Best thing i ever did for my PC. I just dont wait for it to do anything anymore!

Startup & shutdown times are pretty much the same although ive been using mine for about 12 months now so its a little slower compared to when i first installed the SSD:thumbup:

Good work[:D]

11. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Cool thread (pun not intended)! Keep on with the updates.

12. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Well I wasn't sure which SSD to go for and the Intel seemed very good. Plus at the time I didn't feel like forking out 250 on the new sandforce controlled SSDs. But the Intel 3rd generation SSDs come out in December, so my arm might be twisted (perhaps two and Raid them :lol:).

See here:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/10/07/intel-next-gen-ssd-specs/1

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/10/08/sandford-sf-2000-ssd-controller/1 (500Mbs [8-}])

Are you running Win 7, have you got TRIM enabled ? That should sort out degraded performance. If Vista or XP the SSD manufacturer should have a tool on their website to purge data from the cells.

SSD .... yes I agree perhaps the best upgrade I've ever done, well worth the money.

I've got this sudden urge to get a new graphics card :lol: I was going to wait until Xmas, but ........ :lol:

After many hours scouring of the net I have at last found a water cooler for the RAM [:*:]

[​IMG]

Plus I guess i should cool the motherboard too :lol:

[​IMG]

The list never ends ....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  13. mat-mk3

Jesus, Thats going to be alot of pipework!

I dont think i have trim enabled as my drive didnt quite support it but im just upgrading the FW as we speek and that has it in!:thumbup:

Edit, Nope. Using the latest FW already and it supports TRIM as standard. I think W7 turns this on already so i think it should be working!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  14. andypaterson Forum Member

With all that water cooling, i can only presume that you're overclocking to hell? And are you still running the 8800GT?

15. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Yep, still got the 8800GT in the system, it suffices for the moment. I'll upgrade it near Xmas, still erring over which card to get, a GTX460 / 470 or a ATi 5850 / 5870. I can definitely feel a SLi setup coming on :lol: So that'll be 2x 460's please and water blocks to match ;)

Been overclocking it a bit. Trial runs have brought about a very stable 3.7Ghz with a Blck of 160. I'm sure I can push that up to 200, just have to see how the CPU scales. I'm sure I can get it up to 4Ghz. Need to spend some time tweaking [:-B] :lol: Only 300Mhz to go.

I've never seen so many overclocking options on a motherboard ever, even to a seasoned clocker like me its taking some time to understand all of the options [:s]

Think I'm going to have upgrade my radiator, the CPU idles at 40C at the moment. The old dual core would idle at about 32C (with a lot more items in the waterloop too) <dowh>

16. pRot3us Forum Junkie

I'll repeat what I said in 2008 :

Still not done the water cooling thing yet, but the 8800GT and E6600 are long gone. My rig certainly isn't cutting edge gaming-wise anymore but still runs most stuff maxxed, but I know I'm due an upgrade.

However as well as general PC dutes, my rig is firmly in the HTPC camp and the AV side has been getting more attention lately.

Current rig (from my AVForums sig) :

AV|JVC DLA-HD350 @ 100"|Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1|Yamaha RXV465|Logitech Harmony One| HTPC|NEC 24WMGX3|Q9550|XFX GTX260 Black Edition|4Gb OCZ Reaper|Asus P5Q Pro|Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe|LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive|Intel X25-M 80GB SSD + 2Tb storage|WinTV Nova-TD 500|Antec P180B|

You should check out Razors Watercooled Silent Gaming HTPC thread on AVForums if you're planning on going GTX4xx SLI. His rig is a beast and he's a sound guy if you need any info.

17. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Very good old bean. I just use the PC for music (recording & encoding), games, work and the odd encoding of a film. I just like making it quieter than a laptop :lol:

Hmmm been looking at those HD soundcards. I've put in a Creative X-Fi souncard, but think I shall hotrod it to make it a lot better (click). I use a professional soundcard for music and run it all through a Marantz PM7200 KI amp, with QED silver bi-wire anniversary cables and some lovely B&W 602S speakers :lol: Have done for 5 years now. Got my 1210's sitting behind me and have the perfect mini studio.

I might scrap the two external passive reservoirs and rebuild the tubing loop with a much larger radiator. I have seen a build where they use a car radiator in the loop but I cannot find anywhere that has the adapters from the cooling hose (rad side) to a G1/4" thread, I know they exist, it is just a question of finding them.

18. pRot3us Forum Junkie

Don't fancy soldering my pc parts, but good luck with that, incidentally the Xonar HDAV Deluxe's daughterboard has plugin opamps so they can be upgraded easily.

I bought the Xonar HDAV Deluxe (for silly money) as it was the only way of getting Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA over analogue outputs. Very shortly before deciding my logitech z-5500 speakers weren't good enough (glorified computer speakers TBH), then upping to a HD amp and proper (albeit budget) speakers and outputting over HDMI. I may just put it all through a gfx card next upgrade, providing the drivers/software are up to scratch allow stuff like Dolby Digital Live/DTS interactive.
    Christ!! :o

Where would that mother go, hung out of the window? :lol:

19. mat-mk3

Thats amazing:lol:

Just cleaned up a few bits on my SSD and moved a few services/programs around.
    [​IMG]

25 Seconds from button to webpage[:^:]

20. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member