** Water cooling System Upgrade - Sub zero here I come **

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Ezy D, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

** Adventures of an Overclocker **

Adventures of an Overclocker :lol:

OK here we go. I have been messing around with overclocks. Up until now I've managed this ...

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 (Quad Core (Lynnfield))
    Stock: 2.800Ghz
    Overclock: 3.717Ghz (BCLK: 206.51Mhz, RAM:1652Mhz, plus no voltage mods)
    I'm happy with that. It'll go further but will require more voltage and a lot of time to tweak it.

I haven't really touched the graphics card until today.

GPU: eVGA GTX560Ti

Stock:
    GPU Core: 850Mhz
    Shader : 1701Mhz
    RAM : 2052Mhz (4104Mhz QDR)

Stock Air Cooler Overclock:
    GPU Core: 935Mhz
    Shader : 1870Mhz
    RAM : 2100Mhz (4200Mhz QDR)

The overclock obtained under air was appalling really.

Water Overclock:
    GPU Core: 981Mhz
    Shader : 1962Mhz
    RAM : 2351Mhz (4702Mhz QDR) [:*:] [8D]

Now that's what I call a great OC :thumbup: The RAM clock is just crazy. It is showing up as a 160fps increase in the eVGA overclock testing tool :lol: (377fps (stock) to 537fps (OC))

Temps at idle, during full overclock (4x fans @ 1800rpm on the Rad). 25C degrees :clap:

[​IMG]

Temps during full load testing (fans @ 1800 rpm (max)), not overly CPU intensive but it is on the GPU, 40C-43C ;)

[​IMG]

As an aside with the GPU clock at 850Mhz (stock), I overcooked the Gfx RAM all the way to 2462Mhz (4924Mhz QDR), that's all the way to the end of the Overclocking Tool's scale ... it couldn't go any further :lol: never seen that in my life. Sadly it’s just not stable with the GPU overclocked too [8(]

[​IMG]

I might re-jig the water loop a little and take the Southbridge / PCH out of the loop to simplify things a little, as it only kicks out 4.7W TDP.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. Phil. Forum Junkie

:clap: Have to say I'm impressed with those figures Ezy. Awesome system! Whats next? :p

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

BF3, thats whats next![:|]

4. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

A new bigger SSD for sure :lol: Got a hankering for a 240Gb Vertex 3. Plus re-plumb it and streamline the loop a little. Otherwise I guess that'll be it for 6-9 months, perhaps slip another 560Ti in there for a SLi setup ,or swap out for a GTX680 next summer :) But we shall see. I'm sure it is good for another year at least.

Ohhh yeah [:^:]

[YOUTUBE]AGbo50Ar420&feature=player_embedded#![/YOUTUBE] :lol: I spy Commando & Green Beret.

[YOUTUBE]NDDfPxF3EFE[/YOUTUBE]

5. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

6. Phil. Forum Junkie

Well seeing as my PC nearly calved on even trying to run that tool I shall mostly be playing BF3 on PS3 :(

7. mat-mk3

Your PC's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 does not meet the game's recommended requirements.
    The recommended GPU for Battlefield 3 is a GeForce GTX 560 or higher. Check below to see some upgrade options. To see other system requirements for Battlefield 3, please click here.

OH ****![:x]

8. andypaterson Forum Member

Hmm, my ATI 5770 512mb might struggle then, shame because that trailer look hammmazin!

9. pRot3us Forum Junkie

Woah, Mahoosive rad there Ezy. :o

But what happen to the car rad idea? ;) :lol:

10. mat-mk3

Ha! Now that would be cool! (Literally)

11. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Hello matey :) Hmm car rad, well things have moved on a bit. It would be great to have a car rad in due to the volume of water and surface area, plus a VR6 rad is 45-ish. My new rad was 75 plus the bracket equals ~90. So it is much cheaper for a car rad. But the real problem is sorting the pipe attachments to and from the rad, plus attaching fans to the thing [:s] It can be done, but it looks amateurish and I'm trying to get a more professional finish :lol: Still not got it [8-}] Also I've got an eye on my next upgrade already [:$] a nice Chiller to put into the system, get the system running at 4C under load, here's a review. :thumbup: I've not really got any room in my music/games room at the moment for it though :lol: I can't really say I want to sit right next to a fridge heat exchanger all the time. But that might be a little project, build & fabricate a nice case to put it in rather than the plastic grey mess it is housed it.

I would love a phase change cooler but it gets very messy with the dielectric grease everywhere. Plus it I'll need two, one for the CPU and one for the GPU, that's how much ? :lol: But that really is subzero cooling. At least with the chiller you can live with it day to day. Hmmm pipe dreams eh ?

12. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

** Results of the Swedish Overclocking Jury **

After an afternoon's benchmarking and tweaking I have some rather good results to show [8D]

What started as a 10 minute exercise accidentally lasted about 4 hours :lol:

** Results of the Swedish Overclocking Jury **

So .... CPU overclocked as before ....

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 (Quad Core (Lynnfield))

Stock
    : 2.800Ghz
    Overclock: 3.717Ghz (BCLK: 206.51Mhz, RAM:1652Mhz, no voltage mods)

GPU: eVGA GTX560Ti

Stock:
    GPU Core: 850Mhz
    Shader : 1701Mhz
    RAM : 2052Mhz (4104Mhz QDR)
    Voltage: 1.0

Water Overclock:
    GPU Core: 1035Mhz
    Shader : 2070Mhz
    RAM : 2420Mhz (4840Mhz QDR) :o
    Voltage: 1.15

A stratospheric overclock on the RAM

So some real world tests on Total War: Shogun 2, benchmarked on the 'Dx11 1080p graphics High' setting, results are thus:

Clock' 'Shader' 'Memory' 'Voltage' 'Shogun 2 Dx11 fps'
    850 1701 2052 1 41.6875
    970 1940 2052 1 47.0625
    1000 2000 2052 1.075 48.1375
    1000 2000 2100 1.075 48.175
    1000 2000 2300 1.1 48.7
    1005 2010 2400 1.1 48.9

I then went for it and pushed maximum voltage through it [:s]

Clock' 'Shader' 'Memory' 'Voltage' 'Shogun 2 Dx11 fps'
    1030 2060 2430 1.15 50.125
    1035 2070 2420 1.15 50.4375

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/v54uh/

[​IMG]

Then ran 3DMARK 11 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1977452

P5326, a pretty good score I'd say. Not seen a memory overclock anywhere near as high as mine :lol: For some reason I had to drop the overclock for 3DMARK, perhaps full system load ?

[​IMG]

Temps on the video card are a bit scary. At v1.10, it rises to 47-48C on the GPU core under load (up 5C on stock), at v1.15 it jumps to 57C under load. That's a big increase. Needless to say i think I'm happy to settle for a v1.10 adjustment with a 1005 GPU / 2400 Memory overclock !

Next up, tweak the CPU with some extra voltage :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  13. pRot3us Forum Junkie

Nice :thumbup:

I've just ordered a GTX 560Ti myself, this one in fact. It won't be a massive leap over my current 470, but I want to ditch my soundcard and output audio through the gfx card for various reasons.

I would have like a bigger performance leap but nvidia have massively dropped the ball by not including HD audio bitstreaming in their most powerful cards. :clap: [8-}]

14. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Nice card that matey :thumbup: It should be good, plus the cooling set up is excellent too. I'm guessing it is for an HTPC :lol:

15. pRot3us Forum Junkie

Gaming HTPC ;)

It seems on par with my old card in benchmarks, I need to throw some texture heavy games at it see what difference the 2Gb gfx ram makes.

16. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Well I finally got round to finishing my case mod off. It has been something in the pipeline for ages, but I just could not be bothered to take it by the teeth as it were :lol: I bought a spare CoolerMaster window panel 3 years ago, but it was for a WaveMaster case, which has a slightly different panel shape to my 210b CM case. The plan was to transfer the perspex window section to my case panel, so it was just a question of modding the panel for the window. I started this back in April and hey presto we’ve arrived :thumbup:

Breakdown:

• Carefully chop out centre of panel: 1 hour
    • File straight the edges: 2 hours
    • Drill & Tap Holes: 1 hour

I used the other window as a template which helped. Actually I’m totally happy with the result [:D] The edges are more than 97% straight, the corners are perfect and the tapping was 100% successful. The adding of the window was faultless. Oh for a computer controlled laser cutter & spot driller [8(] But where would the fun be then eh ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M3 drill & tap :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Window on and all together ;) Finally there after 3 years of thinking, I must do that case mod every other month :lol: [:$]

[​IMG]

Voila, the obligatory 'Ezy D' blue light shot

Also I spent a bit of time reaching that magic 4Ghz overclock number on my CPU. That’s a 1.2Ghz OC, but it does get warm somewhat (i.e. 40C), mind you I'm used to cold to the touch components when running :lol:

[​IMG]

Core i5 760 (Lynnfield) Stock = 2.8Ghz, Overclock= 4.028 Ghz

• Asus P7P55D-E Pro
    • 8Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz (CAS 7-8-7-20-5)
    • EVGA GTX560Ti
    I can feel upgrades on the way, so there will be some more drastic changes / updates on the way soon :lol:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  17. Pluginz Forum Member

Bloody nice system that bud, very neat!! [:D]

18. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Howdy all,

A little bit of an update. I've upgraded a few things over the past year or so lol

New SSD

[​IMG]

Sound card upgrade too :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added some extra special cables to link to my amplifier ;)

[​IMG]

Also finally got round to properly overclocking the CPU lol Topped out at a very respectable ~4.2Ghz, things get a bit toasty though with that much extra voltage, even at idle.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I also got a new monitor as my Samsung 22" packed up. So a nice LG 27" IPS display has taken its place :thumbup: Straight out of the box .....

[​IMG]

A full rebuild is on the cards this summer when I've got some spare time, Haswell + Lynx Point + GTX 780 is the plan lol

19. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Hmmm what's this I spy ? A new Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SSD ?

[​IMG]

lol New CPU, Haswell has officially arrived ....

[​IMG]

New motherboard:

[​IMG]

Time for a new power supply, the last one lasted me at least 6 years I think more:

[​IMG]

Ohhhh and something else turned up too :o

[​IMG]

So on with the dismantling and rebuild :thumbup: Poor old thing being ripped apart lol

[​IMG]

20. pRot3us Forum Junkie

Nice :thumbup:

I'm glad you've covered up the GTX780 though, I'm trying to save money and am not buying one just yet. [:|]