Went to view a VR6 today, massively underwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Dennis10, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Went and had a look round and drove a VR6 today, and I was left extremely disappointed. Except for the sound, which was fantastic, it had no poke whatsoever.

This one

My 16v Mk3 is pretty sorted by all accounts, goes extremely well, pulls hard to the line in all gears, and is very torquey for what it is. So I was expecting a bit more from a late '97 model VR. Aside from the what I can only describe as downright scandalous handling in standard form, which I was expecting (would even say bordering on dangerous going round corners), I thought a VR with a bit more HP and a fair amount more torque would shove me back in the seat even more than mine does. It didn't happen. Foot to the floor and it ambled upto a ton, whereas mine would have flown up there in half the time.

Am I expecting too much? Is this what a VR6 feels like? I think maybe it was sick, possibly running a cylinder down, although it sounded good, and there wasnt anything to suggest this.

I didnt go for it in the end as I could hear the chains rattling slightly on low revs in the engine bay, thought better to leave well alone.

I want to apologise to my mk3, Glory. I will never think about trading you in again, for the next few months at least :lol:

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Haha ive been eyeing them up too!

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

First time I went in one I had such high expectations, and was equally as disappointed as you sound.

All noise, no action :(

4. Joesoap Forum Member

Say nothing ma friend .......tin of worms [:[]

5. Joesoap Forum Member

F oo k it 1.8t all da way ! LOL

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Must have been something wrong with it.

All 3 of mine have gone like a scolded cat. Even the one in my Mk3 highline.

Power delivery is more like a 16v though. Did you work it properly?

7. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

:lol:

Yes, pretty sure I worked it properly! Had my 16v ABF for over 2 years and I've worked that properly in my time, I can assure you! ;)

The power delivery on this VR was more like an 8v really though (starts flat, stays flat, finishes a bit flat), in comparison to my 16v, which as you say, goes like a scalded cat. I was just expecting much, much more from it. There were 3 of us in the car - the seller, my bro and myself driving, it had no torque compared to my 16v and I kept wondering when it was going to pick up. Compared to when I bought my 16v, which had 4 of us in the car when test driving, and my brother noted that that pulled much harder than the VR did.

Maybe if I ever get to test drive one that is known to be very strong and sorted I'll change my mind about them, but on the strength of that one, I'm rather put off. It may have been sick, so I might be unfair in this, but I was underwhelmed.

My 16v would have handed it's wallowy ars* to it on a plate

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Must have been a ****ter then. Forgot you had a 16v.

9. craggsy Forum Member

Gotta have a problem as they pick up and pull very well, from 3k on. And I have been in loads, plus owned one for 6 yrs

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Nooooo!

11. Joesoap Forum Member

What took you matt lol :thumbup:

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my imaginary vr was only only on 5cyl ;)

i was at a RR day with dennis earlier this year, his 16v is a healthy one so in real life it shouldnt be far off vr pace, so that vr cant have been at full health

honestly, ive been a VR "hater" for years because of the economy vs pace thing, but ive got vr plans, just you see ;)

14. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I once had a bit of a race with a mk2 and upto a ton it was pretty even, then all of a sudden the bloody thing shot past me and continued to accelerate out of my reach. When stopped afterwards and talking to him I discovered it was a newly implanted VR6, that he was 'testing'. I was quite impressed with how that went, but only after 100mph, when it started to pull away.

But with the VR that I drove today, there was just no way it would have coped with mine upto 100, let alone passed it at any speed so I guess it must've been running rough, although it sounded lush.

Don't suppose anyone has a VR in the Herts/Bucks area that is sorted and running well for me to have a little go in (and use as a benchmark car to measure other VRs against) - I have insurance!

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

I had a mate years back with one. We raced a million times. Could never match him off the line, valver needed more revs and was easier to get wrong. Once moving the vr would slowly pull away consistently but it had more grunt for every situation

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not near my pace!

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That car you went to see was on big wheels?
    Suspension when worn on these can be pretty marginal especially if yours is sorted.
    A STD and well maintained VR6 Mk3 vs a STD and well maintained 16v MK3?
    The 6 cylinder one will be much responsive to drive even with its long gears.

You can have a go in mine and tell me what you think.

18. Claypole Forum Junkie

Big alloys and 5 doors, what did you expect... :lol:

19. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

It was on 17s, but it wasnt just the acceleration that was really poor, but the lack of pull/push back in the seat/bum dyno factor. There was nothing there compared to mine. That is something that the larger wheel circumference could not have affected, and it was noticeable.

Suspension was utterly, utterly terrible.

It was a standard ish (had full stainless steel exhaust) VR6, oil was clean, looked in good nick, great interior, outside in reasonable condition, no leaks. Chains were rattling a bit when I revved it using the TB. But otherwise it sounded great. Mine isn't standard, and is pretty well looked after, and had far more punch than that VR.

I look forward to being proved wrong! ;)

Whereabouts are you based Eddie, I'd love to take yours out for a spin if possible. I would imagine you havent scrimped on keeping yours mechanically sound - I couldnt ask for a better benchmark than that!

20. mexicorich Forum Member

I am going to upset VR owners again lol
    They have no torque for a 3litre V6, need to be above 3,800rpm to get them to go. Above that though it should have gone well enough, that's the problem though, they need too much commitment, no bottom end and you end up charging around at high revs like bull elephant on heat!

Noisy chains probably indicated that this one wasn't at its best though and about to do itself a mischief