Whats a valver like against today's hot hatches??

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by thegolfman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I used to pull with Mk4 R32s up to 100mph with my 2.0 N/A 16v Mk2. After that the R32 would start walking slowly but constanly away.
    Clio 182 was quicker off the line due to better traction but once my second settled its was bye bye reno!
    Civic type Rs you got to shift right with these as they are very close to even in an ABF'd Mk2. Would be down to Gronads vs wannabe ricer. Grondads used to win everytime.
    Also when taking on the modern hatches never short shift or granny shift. Ragging to 7200 is the only way.
    An R32 would'nt have a chance now!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how much power did your 2.0 16v have? was the car lightened?

3. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

didn't some guys on here get their valvers on weigh bridges to find out that they actually weigh more than that?!

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Yer at the scrappies for a fiver if I remember:lol:

Obv all the figures we get are for a stock standard valver without 15 years + of crap adding itself all over the place etc etc. Definately not definitive figures, but a good guide.

5. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

oh, and check out the stats for the mk3 valver.

clicky

same ptw and ttw, but 0.1 second quicker to 60, and only weighs 70kg more..........:)

6. thegolfman Forum Member

Whats the difference between dry and wet weights... [:$]
    Is it the obvious? Im glad i only weigh 75kgs. :lol:

So a 2.0L bottom end should make a nice 'quick' car then. From what Ive been reading Its quite easy to tune a 16v with cams, 2.0L bottom end and a decent setup to on average about 170bhp.
    Should this see off the 'Hotter' hatches like the civic?

Sorry to ask for more stuff, but has anyone got any before and after 0-60 figs of say standard and tuned valvers? Or power graphs? Ive seen GVK post some up, but there of his VR mk2, Anyone with any 16v graphs?

I tell ya, The more i talk about one, the more i want one!!! [:D] [:D]

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Full Recaro Interior, spare tyre etc.
    According to my Gtech Competition around 160@6400revs before losses and 145lbft peaking at 5500revs and with 130lbft from 3800. I weighed it at 2350lbs including driver.

8. thegolfman Forum Member

Ive seen a few now for money I can afford, But most have massive mileage, or plenty of rust.
    Im tempted, but im still thinking I should hang on until ive got a bit more cash to buy a half decent one.

9. thegolfman Forum Member

Wheres Davidnumber2?
    Hows he getting on with straightening out his 16v?

10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Dry weight is without fluids such as petrol, coolant, oils etc. Wet weight is therefore the opposite.

Pending my bonus im going to be going 2litre with a sachs sporting clutch and lightened and balanced flywheel. I've already got a full militek exhaust system including 4 branch. I'd hope to be making a healthy minimum of around 170bhp from mine. Dont think it would keep up with the mk5 as they have turbo power and you can tune them up to 250bhp pretty easily. Not really sure about the civic type r tbh.

11. Daz... Forum Member

I went past a civic type-r in fifth a few weeks back...I know they are geared for quite a high speed compared to a valver but I wasn't expecting to go past it tbh. Don't think I'd stand a chance up to 100 but after that it's when I find the old valvers surprise people with the shorter gearing ;)

12. thegolfman Forum Member

Do valvers still accelerate well at high speeds then? I wondered if they where any good on motorways for overtaking.
    I suppose I need to buy one really to know for myself.

13. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

As above, for comparisons with modern cars you need to look at bhp/tonne - the back of EVO magazine has a good list of most modern 'performance' type cars with power to weight listed.

I always found the performance of my standard Mk2 16v to be adequate but not fantastic. Good fun but could do with a little more acceleration but I did have a Mk1 16v before that which was obviously much quicker (and lighter!) as my Mk2 is a five door with loads of options so weighs a bit. Compared to modern cars it'd have no trouble with anything 'warm' up to around 2 litres or so.

More recently I have modified the car with a 2 litre engine, ported head etc and now it flies, really makes a lot of difference. It will now keep up with a lot more exotic cars, upsets Beemers, TT's, most modern so called 'hot hatches' etc - highly recommended! The look on drivers faces in posh new cars that can't shake off a 15 year old Golf is priceless :p

14. superden Forum Addict

See if you can take one out for a spin first, decide if its for you before you spend your money.

15. Daz... Forum Member

You do have to bear in mind that mine isn't standard (now has ABF engine) as it wouldn't stand a chance against the civics if it was :)

As Stu said - it's great fun seeing the look on peoples faces when they see an old golf go past them so I'd say it's well worth the money going down the 2ltr route. Mine was completely rebuilt with all standard internals, standard head etc..and it still makes 176bhp. More than enough to have some fun with :lol:

16. MOGGY2000 Forum Member

i should of put a 16v in mine not a 8v shouldnt i. seems to be much more tuneable. mines a 1.9 8v with newman fast road cam, port polished, pipeacross. it feels sort of quick but not as quick as i expect it to be. its annoying me.

17. melinamotor Forum Member

A mate of mine has a 1989 8v Gti, we rebuilt the engine a while back and she runs like a dream. My CTR obviously canes him on a drag race but thats not what its all about, on a twisty B-road I struggle to lose him unless there are long straights.I have run out with VXRs STs 182s and S3s/R32s and there is bugger all in it on real world roads, all this 0-60 crap is for the sales brochures and drag weekends, it means squat out on the road.
    I ran three Mk2 golfs in total and loved them all, its a true drivers machine in any guise.

It doesnt really matter what super mega hatch you drive there is a limit to how fast you can go on our roads and the Mk2 golf is all you need to have superb fun, I still love em to bits :)

Ahh those were the days......

18. melinamotor Forum Member

Sounds nice mate ;)

19. Daz... Forum Member

Keeps me smiling for now. Will be letting her go in the new year though...

20. melinamotor Forum Member

What are you planning as a replacement ?