Where's engine number on AUQ

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Mk2Luke16v, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Cheers for the clarification Danster :thumbup:

I'd take 20F as being a type, not a code, if you see what I mean.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So I wonder if the whole lot - three letter code + 6 digits - is actually on the part adjacent to the bell housing.

The "20F" is cast exactly below cyl 2 where you've circled on Brian's block. There's nothing else there.

If it's the former, and the latter cyl 2 casting a red herring, then hopefully the thread query is done.

3. danster Forum Addict

Basically all the older 8v, 16v, 20v petrol and diesel blocks with intermediate shafts and external water pumps are of a type known as 058.

The later blocks with no intermediate shaft and internal water pump are of a type 06*, where * can be several different letters, eg A , B or F

I have no idea about the later fsi and tfsi engines.[:s]

All the numbers cast on the blocks will just be part nos of the basic castings, which could then be machined for a number of applications.
    Engine codes and identification numbers will be stamped on later.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Where's the 058 derived? Does that go back to EG/DX/KR?

ABF is 048 XXX XXX.

This water pump engine I'm referring to has a casting 06A XXX XXX.

Just a note on 06A: not to be confused with 6A, which I is an 053 XXX XXX coded engine.

5. danster Forum Addict

This is quite well covered in INAs section (hybrid build), so no point repeating in this thread. This is now getting involved in engine type.
    Think we have established where the engine code and numbers are now.:thumbup:

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hmmm, covered in references on that thread, but I'm not so sure it's covered properly. They're general names being used.

But as you say, off topic for this thread, so something for elsewhere.

7. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I hate being annoying but can I just say that the code that is stamped on the block(red rectangle highlighted by mook) is usless. Im here with the block in my sitting room, looking at it from 3 inchs away with it all nice and clean and I still cant make it out, nor can I even get a picture of the tiny dots with the camera set on macro. I cant imagine trying to read them in the car, or on a dirty engine.

8. danster Forum Addict

Absolutely agree Brian. VAG seem to have used some kind of "dot matrix" type of machine to stamp the id codes and engine numbers on the newer blocks which is very hard to read after a bit of time and corrosion has set in.

9. Admin Guest

its about as sh*t as the stamp on an 020 box

10. Mook

Mook Forum Member

+1 to Brian, Danster and Jon. Totally useless, but that's the only place the complete engine number is stamped. The only other option is the sticker on the cambelt cover, but we've been there already

11. Mk2Luke16v Forum Member

Well i had a look on the place shown above, near the gearbox, not a hope in hell of being able to read it, at least not with it fitted in the car. I only need it for the log book and insurance co so i think i'll just have to go with the one on the cam belt cover sticker. It starts AUQ so at least it's the right code of engine for sure.

Thanks for the help anyway guys, if ever i've got the front end off the car at least i know where to have a proper look.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Have you tried getting some sand paper onto it?

Just a thought.

BTW, I found this the other day - forgot I had it.

[​IMG]

At least you know which way the writing will be etched in, and hence which end to start at.