Which metering head for best fuelling?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by paul_c, Jul 5, 2007.

1. jamesa Forum Junkie

Mike ... thanks for looking that up, my local VW parts guy could not find it also. The BOSCH part no. is 0438 120 195 so I`ll pursue this ..

Fuelling on the Mk2 shows very rich from 4000 to 5200 (AFR 12) then steadily leans off until it reaches 5700 where it stabilises at 13 AFR

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

No probs, can you confirm if there's a vac line to your WUR?

3. paul_c Forum Member

I've bought the Innovative AFR datalogger today from the states, so this gives me a good opportunity to see exactly what's gong on with the fuelling. Cheers for all the suggestions, guys. I have an Audi WUR with a vacuum input, unsure if its simply an item you fit or whether there's realistic gains to be made from setting it up, etc.

4. bens_cab Forum Junkie

good man you will be able to tune the car to within an inch of its life now :lol: :lol:

you could just ditch the k-jet and go efi then buy megasquirt then you have full spark and mapping toooo;) ;)

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

James

Below is a pic of the one on my car:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the numbers tie up. Fair bit of discussion on this thread here, but no concrete answer unfortunately. Chris also found those Vortex numbers, but they meant nothing to me.

Chris also mentions it could be from a Volvo?

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Yes and it has had the `mod` done.

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

sparrow... thanks

Rang my local Bosch centre who are investigating ... will advise if they get back to me.

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks. Would be good to know what they are from.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Have you tried asking on the VWMotorsport forum?

10. paul_c Forum Member

I thought I'd try this forum first....

11. IanCarvell Forum Member

Is it the bosh number or the VW number that is unusual, because both of my 16v engines have got the same VW number as that.

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

Ian,

The VW number is not the same as that quoted on the vagcat.com parts site both for the Golf KR or Corrado KR / 9A units. However, it does appear to be uncannily popular hence almost ruling it out as a `special` unit. The associated Bosch number appears to follow accordingly, does it on yours ?

13. IanCarvell Forum Member

I haven't checked the bosch number.

I wonder if it has been superseded which is why vagcat.com shows a different number. So the number we have was the original number, but if you goto VW for a replacement they give you a different part number...I know that is the case with some other parts.

14. jamesa Forum Junkie

Good point ...

I recently asked my local dealer to investigate but no luck.

15. paul_c Forum Member

I've just looked up VW Part number 027 133 353, and it says "dropped, please use as replacement" 027 133 471 and *027 133 481. Then if you look up *027 133 481, its been replaced with 027 133 481X. The X means its an exchange only item.

027 133 471 is the air side of the metering head, 027 133 481 is the fuel metering side (they are held together with the 3 slot head screws, and there is a seal beteween them). These are the part numbers for the KR (and PL) metering head.

So in summary, the metering head pictured above is the standard 1.8 16V metering head.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  16. paul_c Forum Member

Here is a pic of the 16V metering head I picked up at GTI Festival:

[​IMG]

Anyway, since I have now purchased the wideband lambda sensor, I can freely replace each part at a time, and do a road test to see the fuelling achieved. I'll do a road test with the 8V metering head and Merc 6 cyl fuel pump; then put on the 16V metering head and do another test. Whichever gives best readings (closest to AFR around 12-13.5 through the revs) I'll stick with. Might get another rolling road test done once I'm confident I've found the optimal fuelling combination.

17. paul_c Forum Member

Demystified - it IS a standard 16V metering head, its the predecessor to the one currently listed on VAGCAT, ETKA, etc. It is possible to solve these kinds of problem by doing a parts number lookup on ETKA, checking its "dropped use as replacement" part number, then "guessing" what car its from, looking at the parts diagrams and confirming. Quite an involved process...

18. IanCarvell Forum Member

So do we know what the differences are from the original and the superseded part?

i.e. which is the best.

19. paul_c Forum Member

I suspect there is no actual performance difference - but I couldn't be sure.

It could be that the part number change was a consolidation exercise across different applications of KR engine in the Passat, Corrado and Golf; or forced by a part number change by Bosch - which could have been a consolidation exercise across many small variations of metering head used on different car applications - remember, Bosch K-Jet was fitted to Mercedes, Volvo, Ford, etc etc too.

Another reason could be different materials or fittings used, which have no overall performace effect.

20. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thank you ... :clap:

See I need to get ETKA ... [:$]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007