Which metering head for best fuelling?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by paul_c, Jul 5, 2007.

1. paul_c Forum Member

Yep, credit goes to jamesa2 who basically gave the info I needed to know - that the 16V metering head (working properly) WILL flow enough fuel to achieve the potential horsepower I'm trying to achieve.

Belated thanks James!

I've heard "rumours" about the 1.6 metering head being the best, I may well obtain one (if I can find one, and if its cheap enough) to try it out too. These kinds of things, if not needed any more, are easy enough to sell on at more/less the same price, etc.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

In most cases any engineering changes would cause a change in part no's.

Though in some cases it can be the part no's of the part pieces that make up the full unit.

3. paul_c Forum Member

Agreed - the different part number would reflect a physically different part. But the question is, is it significant in performance terms, and which one is better?

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Pleased it worked out ... in an elongated way.

On the subject of `part pieces` .. the metering head is made up of three main pieces:

- Base plate i.e air flap
    - Fuel return section
    - Fuel distribution section

The first two have individual Bosch nos. plus additional `punched`numbers .. into the tags. Assume that these are for unique / matching purposes ?

The fuel return sections on both my units have the same Bosch no. but different `punched` nos. So too the base plates.

The fuel distribution section has a number cast into the very top .. outlet to the WUR. On my two units these are slightly different:

417FC on the Mk1 unit which has the braided fuel lines

417 on the Mk2 which has the rubber / solid lines

Not sure what this means .. and don`t mean to start another `hunt` ;)

paul c ... the airbox on the Mk2 is severely `butchered`

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  5. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i think you have the right idea paul with the lim1 you will be able to datalog the afr at different rpms i belive so you could try different types of metering head until you find one that suits

also bear in mind 2 16v metering heads the same may give different readings depending on wear and tear or mileage of said item

also timing may come into to it when its going lean at high rpms it could also mean your not getting enough advance or retard thats where a rolling road would come into play
    or you could rig up some kind of knocksense system

just a thought

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

That's why i love this site. Everything gets demystified at some point. :)

7. paul_c Forum Member

Well I now have the LM-1 and have started to do some tests and tweaks with it. All details are on this thread here.