Why tracking is important...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by David Number 2, Apr 16, 2007.

1. David Number 2 Forum Member

aight will do. cheers dude.

2. gorilly Forum Member

and i would have thought your car being 17 years old would have hit puberty by now

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have a fair bit of negtiive camber on my fronts,

[​IMG]

but on the last set of tyres, i had more wear on the outer edges which i assume is because when i lowered it, i didnt get the tracking done.

since i put the paradas on, i got it tracked that day.

hell yeah

can you do your camber do you recon?

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

fnar fnar :lol:

5. David Number 2 Forum Member

i did the suspension on my own (kind of) so shouldnt be a prob, loosen the bolts, put a spirit level against the hub thing and go from thre?

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

erm... undo those two bolts, push the top of the hub in as far as you can [:D]

7. gorilly Forum Member

just booked mine in at power engineering... doing it tomorrow, i know the guy so getting it all done for less than 20 ;)

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

whilst all the rest of us get charged about a ton?

recon your post is gonna make you popular? lol

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Quite surprised you slammed it & didn't get the camber/tracking checked?

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

his camber is visually off... mine was even and i was also on a second hand set of Eagle F1s (which people say wear faster than butter)

the eagles lasted a further 11k (thats because the mk3 is so light on its toes...)

i did the bushes n stuff those, so hence had to get the tracking done as soon as the paradas went on

11. pro7dave New Member

Hi fellas just looking at the pics of the knackered tyres on the blue mk2. With the wear that sharp i would say that the wear was a combination of camber wear and tracking wear but more on the camber side as the wear is very sharp tracking wear alone is usually more feathered.I also notice that some of you guys from the Cov area use Brittania tyres.I used to be the manager of there Hinkley depot but worked as foreman at there Coventry depot[this is when i had my hillclimb MK1 and rado g60.One or two of you will probably be familiar to me.When having the front geometry set it is important to have the camber set first then the tracking as moving the camber settings effectively alters the length ot the track arm.So set the camber or have it set at about 1/2 degree negative for a road car and the tracking stock settings this helps with a little better bite in the bends but without the adverse wear.If any of you guys go to brittania to have the alignment done give me a shoutthe day before and i'll make sure they do there best on the cars for you as i still know and get on with all the lads there.Or if your about i have my own ADA camber guages if you want it checked etc your more than welcome.
    Thanks, Dave.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

brilliant offer there, thanks very much. i love pretty close by to there so may get it done.

i note you say 0.5* camber is enough for a road car. whats the effect or having more? im sure i have a fair bit more than that at th emoment

13. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I wouldnt worry, I've heard some shocking stories about work by Power Engineering.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

lol

remember suttonoval from this site? he was from brum (stll speak to him on msn from time to time) well he recommend a place on brum that solved his cars handling issues. im tempted with that but im also tempted to go to wales for fun with the missus and to also go find Big Al so he could do the suspension...

choices choices

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

PS... you missed my point up there abotu the mk3 being light on its toes. not really on the ball today ;)

16. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I'm losing my touch. Damn work interfering with my afternoon spent browsing the club forum... which makes me realise I sat here doing nothing. oh well.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bad innit... i should do something too

18. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Cambers and Toe should only cost 45inc vat 300:o where, how, who[:s]

Check the badger5 jetta thread for further info on settings i use protyre in gloucester they can pull up factory settings on the computer ie max/min for model or customised settings as mine is.

Didnt you notice how the tyre was wearing, its nearly impossible to set cambers correctly by eye

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  19. pro7dave New Member

If you pop round to use the camber guages you can have a look at my mk3 thats lowered 60mm at the front and 40mm at the rear.The settings i gave are what i run my car at and theres no adverse wear on the tyres at all.I used to run my MK1 with considerably more but that did use to give its tyres a very hard time.
    Dave.

20. deepee New Member

Last time i had a LazerLine 4 wheel done it was free for the check 52 for adjustment, that was all 4 whees adjusted Castor, Camber and Track.