Worth repairing? [:^(]

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by cometbluecoupe, Dec 12, 2009.

1. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Sounds like your rear 1/4 panel may be already be a replacement if its rusting around the weld!!

2. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Could be but quite a few mk2's I have seen have a little surface rust at least in this area (usually visible on the seam below the lights). Mine is all good until you get about about 2 inches from the bottom edge (not gone by the lights at all). Think mine is all original as all the stickers are still there but hard to say for sure. A lot of big bumper cars have corosion in this area hidden by the bumper.

Id say its a classic spot like the fuel filler area and the redundant wiper hole.

D

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Looking at the sealant used to cover the seam down the C-pillar is usually a good giveaway that it's had a new rear quarter panel in the past. And so many MK2s have done!

I had a MK2 that'd had a new rear quarter and I would not want one like that again.

I'd suggest getting the existing panel repaired if you can, or re-shell. Like I said before, those particular MK2s are getting really thin on the ground now so it is worth saving.

4. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

The car is a not in amazing but good overall condition and is a fun daily workhorse and does about 25k a year. As much as I like the colour (the GF hates it! - not that this is a consideration!!) I dont think its particularly rare (there was a tidyish looking one for sale on here very recently for 800) or worth any more than any other colour early 16v.

A reshell is a cool idea but too time consuming and I be hard pressed to be bothered putting the KR back in as although its given no grief Id be too tempted to go 2.0 as the engine is on 165k and feeling a bit tired anyway.

Cheers

D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. theboymike Forum Junkie

Gutted to see this happen to such a nice looking motor [:^(]

What did you decide to do in the end? Repair the existing quarter? Good luck getting it sorted :)

6. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the good words! Still in the process of gettting some quotes on the repair. Not going to go down the new panel route thou as im sure it will be too expensive to be economically viable. Hows your red one going? Hope youve sorted the starting issues i read in your thread?

Cheers

Dan:thumbup:

7. theboymike Forum Junkie

I agree; replacing the whole rear quarter sounds like a lot of work (and hence money) unless the car's an absolute rot-free minter it's probably not worth it :(

Not sure what the alternatives are - cut out the damaged part of the panel and weld in a repair section or beat it out as best as possible and sort it with filler..?

Red one's still going, although it's still being a right pain in the **** to start. Really not sure where to go with it; got no money so reluctant to start replacing bits without really knowing what's wrong. I think it's got a bit better as the weather's got warmer (well, less cold) but it's still not right. Baffled by it tbh.

Should you need any bits of shell my old one will be kicking about till the end of the week ;)

8. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Back on the road..

The monza is back on the road after 5 months out of action!

Just finishing off the exterior trim etc as the weeks go by going for tottaly original but with mk1 style side stripes as before...

Happy with the job done on it by a local body shop 500 all in. Paint is not perfect but good enough for me and you wouldnt know its been hit to be honest. Geting the pattern replacement wing (despite being from "perfect panels!") was a bit of git to get to fit/line up decently but got it to 98% spot on and thought sod it im not going to risk bending it or damging the new paint. Also chuffed to find that by replacing the large intake boot i cured my pinking problem (was buggered around the seal and leaking air in and weakening mixture off)

Sorry crap phone pics but heres a few!

[​IMG]

day back from body shop

[​IMG]

Door only half shut - lines up near perfect in reality

[​IMG]

Last night after a clean up.

Will get some better pics up soon once all trim back on. Thanks to all for encouraging banter. Have promised the GF that once its all tidyed up will leave it alone for a while now. (under pressure to buy a sensible car with power steering - pah!) Happy to have it back - although I have enjoyed using my old warrior polo coupe s!

Cheers

Dan

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

nice job glad you are happy with it:thumbup:

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks great and the price seems a good one. Well done for repairing it!!!!

11. TimE-J Forum Member

looks like a good job for a fair price, bet your happy to have it back!

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Good news! Did you manage to sort out the insurance in the end, or hear anything back from the police?

13. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Wow, I'm well pleased to see that repaired. And 500 is an amazing price really considering the work.

Now ensure you apply lots of waxoyl behind the repair area.

14. The db

The db Forum Junkie

500 seems like a really good price. Pictures never tell the whole story, but it does look like a tip top job!

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

good to see it got fixed... and looks good for 500

16. theboymike Forum Junkie

Good to see this back - looks like they've done a decent job of the repair. What did they do in the end - pull it out and sort the remaining imperfections with filler?

New front end looks great too ;)

17. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Cheers all,

Yeah, its seems not a bad job at all, the paint match is certainly good. I guess how the repair ages will be the proof of how good it is!

It has been beaten out from the inside and filled on the outside, (looks quite straight on the inside and a fridge magnet will still stick on the outside in all places!) they have blended in the door and the rear 3/4 with the wing which is nice. They werent too careful with the overspray on the window etc but thats a minor grumble (bit of paint thinners took that off) Looks like they put the rear window rubbers back in a bit sharpish too as it seemed to be slightly stuck to the laquer.

Will get some waxoil in behind the doorcards asap. Did my polo with a proper "can" and spray pump in the past, hvent really got the space to do this though now, are the aerosol cans ok?

The police were fairly useless to be honest. Couldn't be arsed to make any enquirys till several months after the incident as no one was injured. (ie wouldnt go round and look at the van involved, or check traffic cameras on the motorway for any evidence)

The driver of the van firstly denyed even being on that road at that time and then later after being questioned again admitted being there but denyed any involvement in an incident. They have since sent me the name of the driver his company and where he lives but not sure what use this info is to me...

18. theboymike Forum Junkie

Hello mate - just seen you drive through Deddington - motor looked properly tidy :thumbup:

19. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

So glad you got it fixed mate. It looks mint :thumbup:

20. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Cheers buddy,

On the way to/from sainsburys! (living over in Steeple Aston these days). Had just changed the fuel filter (thought it was a bit over due at 60k miles.....)

Ah the car is tidy enough from a distance, I quite like the fact that its a bit scruffy as I dont get too upset about driving it every day and putting loads of miles on it or getting the odd parking dent. Need to get some suspension bushes done at some point as its a bit wooly to drive in the bends, think the motor is getting tired too but still soldiers on.

Hows the minty tornado golf going? Suprised I havent seen you on the roads around here for a while?

Cheers

Dan