Your VW blunders...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by ChrisUK, Jun 12, 2005.

1. F2 Stu Forum Member

Not VW but certainly VAG

Mid rollcage installation on my Cordoba, I accidently set light to the underseal whilst welding the base plates one the B Piller.

Little did I realise the burning paint had spread to the fuel lines and set light to that too and made its way from the cage mount to the fuelpump!

Mad dash to find a fire extinguisher that actually worked whilst thick smoke billowed from underneath the car. managed to put it out and then discovered the extent of the damage and the fuel had no way of getting to the engine.

Do I win a Prize?:lol:

2. oak8vgti Forum Member

few times have forgot to fit a new oil filter after filling up and emptying a gallon of oil all over the engine and floor

3. Steve B Forum Junkie

most recently thought id refitted my alternator improperly after doing the head gasket so i took the arm from the head to the top of the alternator off and turned it over thinking it was upside down refitted it all seemed fine started the engine with the bonnet up, a shower of sparks flew out of the engine bay, turned the engine off again pretty quickly

turned out the bar was was resting on the fins of the alt lol was ok when i fitted it back properly again.

also once was undoing the front bumper on a car i was breaking forgot i had taken out the bolt that holds the engine mount on when the bumper bolts are off.

as the last bolt came loose the mount flew down just got my hand out of the way in time as it landed on the floor with the engines weight on top of it, could have been pretty nasty.

im sure ill think of a couple more

4. JohnnyCash New Member

Not VW related but drove around in my car all day wondering why it was suddenly underpowered. Kept stopping to adjust mixture on carb to no avail, tried a different needle, inspected dizzy cap, rotor arm and all usual things and still couldn't find anything untoward.
    Then I noticed and felt a right t***
    I was running on 3 cylinders, one of the leads was hanging off a spark plug.
    Also, drove off down road with locking wheel nut still attached, never saw it again and it took me ages hammering sockets on to get em off

5. jedi_stylie Forum Member

buying a corsa was the first mistake...
    then a week later ignoring the wet patch on my drive...
    water pump went.. shortly followed by the headgasket, shortly followed by a grand out of my bank account...

one BIG blunder.

6. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Done the engine mount one before[:$] :lol:. "WOOOOOOAHHHH... whatever your doing stop.... the engine just dropped down":lol:

Taken the cap off the header tank without thinking straight after a 45 minute drive - and yes its hot and it hurts.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my "i cant get the front wishbone bolt out so ill hack it off.... oh no, part of it is still connected at the far end"

que.... many hours of hacksawing (with a mini hacksaw blade cos there was no space) in the snow [:D][:D]

MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE!

8. HoppyGTi

HoppyGTi Forum Member

Taken the cap off the header tank without thinking straight after a 45 minute drive - and yes its hot and it hurts.[/QUOTE]

Brother in law changed his blue temp sender.....pulled pin out, disconnected electrics, pulled it out.......you guessed it....straight in the face as it was hot [:x]

9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Was removing the bonnet to tidy up a paint bubble under the windscreen. I`ve got lifters on, so removed the front bolts first. Then slackened one rear bolt half a turn and the bonnet suddenly pivoted on the bolts and slammed onto the slam panel with a massive bang. Absolutely sh*t myself. At first I thought it would have bent the leading edge of the (brand new genuine) bonnet, but it was perfectly alright! :o :lol:

10. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Not VW but pretty damn darwin worthy.

Taking the box and engine outta my alfa.
    1 chain attached to a bolt through a rubber engine mount.
    1 chain wrapped around the metal water outlet on the side of the head.

The bolt through the mount started to rip the rubber mount as it was twisting through 90 degrees and under strain.
    The chain wrapped round the water outlet was fine but I'd forgot I'd taken the head bolts out when I was bored and the head was held on by some obscure bracket on the cam belt side.
    [:$]

I noticed before it was too late but still quite amazingly dumb.[:*:]

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

changing a mates discs in his mums sloped garage floor with the car jacked up using a widow maker... pulling the disc to free it, and the car fell over and the disc nearly took my fingers off as it hit the concrete floor

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

put a load of bits back on the side of the engine & stood back with a smile..... then had a piece left over. It was the rear cover for the timing belt (one of the 1st things to go on) so it all had to come back off again.

13. DarrenH Forum Member

my biggest blunder was buying a mk2 polo coupe S and thinking i would be able to own it and not be tempted to modify in any way. ended up spending hundreds when it was supposed to be daily driver while i modified the astra

14. Flipper Forum Member

Helping my friend with his boot build in his Mk4 GTI, he assured me all the wires were all up and connected,
    I then spent the next hour and a half sealing and sanding the whole boot build only for him to realise 2 mins after i'd finished that he hadn't run the bloddy remote leads to the head unit.
    He ripped the whole thing out much to my disgust and didnt bother putting it back in [:^(].

I was not ammused[:x] [:x]

15. gti-8v Forum Member

....and I thought I was special ;) Done a few of these dumb ass maneuvers myself... [|)]

30km Road test with loose wheels nuts - sorted before accident
    Typical front engine mount exercise & dropping the engine
    Over filling with oil, blowing newly installed sump gasket
    Using a small piece of sellotape instead of masking tape - expensive mistake - pulls paint off
    Borrowing a friends new polo recently with less than 50 miles on the clock to transport my front seats to the upholsterers and gouging the interior of the polo in the process.

I know there is more.....

Also know another gti owner that reversed out of his garage with the tailgate up, damaging the door and denting the roof [:s]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  16. fthaimike Forum Addict

Sure someone on here had a trolley jack let go & the handle went through the front of the car

17. Nordoff Forum Junkie

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Oops nice.

There was someone with a mk1 & a trolley jack at the front of the car & when it went it flattened the front panel etc.

19. HAMI Forum Member

most recent fudge up was i was changing the disks and pads on the chavstra, and i put pads in the wrong way. grease to brake disc style. [xx(] obviously sorted before i took it off the 2 post!.

not so much a car blunder, but my first Jetta, went outside at work lunchtime to put some screen wash in it. all fine. went to petrol station and filled up after work, No wallet [:s]. searched car inside and out and found nothing, left details and IOU, went back to work searched there, nothing. went home, nothing. went to work next day, as i walked out to leave. thought to my self My bonnet doesn't look straight?.... why's it bending up at the front?..... cause that would be my wallet pinned between the bonnet and the slam panel then!. [:$] :clap:

oh and my BEST one.....

[​IMG]

[8(]

20. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Oops, how did you manage that, it appears to be a straight road?