DTH Jenveys with 120mm trumpets which air box/socks

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by altern8, May 18, 2010.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

Heres the piper cross info
    [​IMG]

Just spoken to SBD they sell the air boxes

price wise

170 for the outer
    70-75 for the backing box 40mm or 70mm

Still requires a ITG sausage filter but again hight is the problem

98 180mm internal
    93 125mm internal

but she didnt think the larger ones fit the box

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Height's always going to be the issue, especially with an ABF.

The Pipercross ones look like a solution, but the vertical pic shows depth of the box is actually very poor.

I would stick with the socks for now tbh.

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

providing its fitted with the right sized rampipes, there is more than enough room/flow in the pipercross box for over 200hp - as tested by me with numbers to prove it

your choice - filter socks are a poor solution IMO and an absolute last resort if there really isn't any room for anything else

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

For another option, an ITG Cosworth DFV F1 engine filter - also worth a look?

Proven to fit and, down the Dog & Duck, it's unbeatable [:*:] [|)]

5. Ess Three Forum Member

Same as the Jenvey branded set-up.
    The Jenvey recessed backplate will clear Jenvey fuel rails, but not the 1.8T fuel rail - you need to run 20mm spacers behind the backplate to clear a 1.8T fuel rail with the Jenvey backplate on.

[​IMG]

Takes a Pipercross 600 filter - so various sizes available, or an airbox - if there is room.
    At least with the dame filter you can massage the angle of the curve to clear the bonnet underside.

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Uncalled for, and characteristically mindless comment :thumbup:. Thanks for another one for the album.

Proven to fit my car, a Seat Ibiza, which has less bonnet room than your golf, and has custom billet rampipes to allow the fitment. Which you dont have. Also, this filter would be a poor suggestion for a car that gets used much on the road. Only you can judge this. The filter in question is very thin and has a very low dust retention capacity. You need to clean it and reoil it often. Its also very expensive for a foam filter.

But apart from that, its a great idea :lol:

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

That looks spot on

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  9. Ess Three Forum Member

Mine was bought through Emerald, but it's obviously a Jenvey branded part, despite being a Pipercross filter.

I doubt the box filter will fitt a Mk3...as the domed filter sits close to - if not against - the underside of the bonnet with my conbination of spacers, backplate and rampipes.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

wot he said x2

11. no.53 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

'97 Vectra BTCC:

[​IMG]

13. Ess Three Forum Member

Blimey...how times change, eh?
    Before ram-air boxes perhaps?

14. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I have red somwhere cant remember, someone did back to back testing of air filters for itb-s, facing to the front of the car as per our 16v installs

Socks lost power in all tests vs no air filter or domed filter

Best ones were k&n type with solid plate front and filter all round sides as this had alot to do with resonance sound waves bouncing back and forth helping speed up airflow

I'l post up article if i find it

Also Dave Walker had a car with ladies tights used as filter over trumpets, cant remember exactly but i think they robbed over 40 bhp from an engine!

15. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Would be interested in seeing that if you could find it sambo.

I'd like to ditch the socks on mine if i ever get round to fitting it, never heard a good word said about them and they're past their best by the looks of things anyway.

Brookster-those twin filters you have, is the end of the trumpet surrounded by foam or is there a bit of free space inside them? If they fit up against the trumpet i can't see them being much better than socks as surely they'll disrupt the airflow in a similar way?

Surely the way round this with the dth's is to angle the bodies/trumpets down. It would seem pointless to fit a manifold as it virtually negates the benefit of the dth setup and is a probably a costly solution. Custom trumpets would be ideal but are no doubt costly if you can't fab any yourself, so that just leaves the curved spacers as an off the shelf solution?

Must get my ar5e in gear and get on with trying this out :lol:

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have just bought some 48 DTH bodies from Bill to see if a bit more breathing free's up any more power from my engine. A side benefit of 48's is that 2" tubing has an ID of 48mm, so I am going to make up some curved rampipe spacers also - my ibiza needs about 60 degrees to tuck the ends of the rampipes under the slam panel above the radiator but the golf may not need quite this much bend. The problem with 45's is getting tubing with 45mm ID and then finding a place with bending dies to curve it....I couldn't find any, and I know a man who's job is supplying tubing. I have a small amount of 45mm ID stainless (rare as rocking horse poop) but no-one has bending dies. 45mm ID curved spacers would have to be hand fabbed, or be made in fibreglass or carbon - kerr-ching.

loads of places do 2" bends eg http://www.ojzengineering.co.uk/product_index.php?product=1

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  17. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

I need to get angled trumpets on mine, and the moment i'm only using the Ramair Foam filters due to space.

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

for 45mm bore, I think it would have to be cnc'd curved spacers (kerr-ching) or glass/carbon moulded (kerr ching unless you do it yourself)

Brian.....this is a prime candidate for your smelter and moulding skills - 45mm ID 45-degree bends with DCOE mounting bolt pattern, cast ali.....get your finger out :lol:

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I had a set of M3 curved plastic trumpets kicking about that im sure could be adapted with some couplers to fit to 48mm itb-s

Wish i took print outs from r/r sess in past when me and Wayne (chipwizards) done few tests on my 48mm itb-s

Car gained stupid amount of power esp in midrange circa 15 bhp, over short trumpets, i never went to trouble of making some fit

Worth visiting bmw scrap yards me think

20. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

My new solution , filter foam fitted behind the front Grill.

[​IMG]

Filter Oil Added

[​IMG]

Inplace , two layers of Filter Foam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]