DTH Jenveys with 120mm trumpets which air box/socks

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by altern8, May 18, 2010.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Former plan or cross-section plan is where the work is, cardboard cross-section fettled to fit perhaps?

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

good man :)

where do we sign up, mabey Bill can help with correct mesurements?

3. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Somebodys been needing to make those for a very long time.

4. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Right well I dont know how this relates to forum rules but ya I can help if you want..

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Entrepreneurs section pls Brian :thumbup:

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

One option I was going to consider is pro-E model of what I think we need, and rapid prototype it to form the mould/test its of sound design/fitment... however... time is something I have precious little of currently, so would be a slow in-between kinda project

gets something made relatively quickly from CAd to physical

Is there a Real Demand?

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

Not sure if demand would be that high but from reading about there seems to be very little in the market for us in the way of off the shelf boxes or curved trumpets.

With the DTH kit you cant use a airbox only socks unless you run spacers and smaller trumpets but the 120mm trumpets seem to have good results.

The socks(pipercross) on my abf have already started to rip, I recon there's about 2cm clearance between the trumpets and the bonnet without the sound proofing. I'm using a solid front mount too.

I wonder how many people on here run the DTH kits? I know Chris is using DCOE with a manifold and he has space for a box in his mk1.

8. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I was hoping you'd chime in with instructions:thumbup:

Lets see what badger5 thinks of it all, I dont want to stand on anyones toes here, Im just willing to come up with a solution thats all:thumbup:

9. badger5

The question is would a curved spacer which pushes the DCOE front end of bodies forward so allowing more options for airboxes/backplates/socks etc etc may be the more flexible solution vs curved airhorns which still require filtration of some means.

Brian.. dont wait or worry about me.. As I said earlier my time is scarse, so much as my plan would be as described, my actual time and ability to get this done anytime soon, is minimal

I have drawn up the adaptor plates so std Jenvey Sf 22.5 degree spacers can be used, and these would allow the use of backplate more readily, as the face is projected both forwards and down, BUT there is other 'stuff' in the way like rad hoses which would need attention to move away from prospective airbox backplates and or dome filters etc.

I am sure it doable, but probably the one solution wont work on all the platforms these 16v engines find themselves in.. mk1 golfs mk2 golfs, mk3 golfs, seat ibiza's etc

What do you have in mind to try out Brian?

{edit}
    added the dwg for folks to craft their own spacer adaptor in case I end up being too slow to get these done.
    http://badger-5.com/bin/DCOE-SF-adaptor Model (1).pdf

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  10. altern8 Forum Junkie

Nice cad work there Bill.

I think the one thing thats needed for any airbox is the 20mm spacers without these the box will catch on the fuel rails Jenvey or 20v

11. danster Forum Addict

12. badger5

which fits with the SF curved spacers being an option to make this transition to 22.5 degree down bubble as well as moving forward 50mm (ish)

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

what about using smaller injectors to clear the spacer problem.

Pico injectors from a Pug? about 1" smaller
    [​IMG]

14. Ess Three Forum Member

That's exactly what I need Bill...

If I can move the whole backplate/filter/outer injectors forward and down by 50mm or so, I can drop to 40mm rampipes within the filter, and give the outer injectors more space - bringing the nozzles closer to the bellmouth - whilst getting back to a similar distance from inlet valve to bellmouth as a 'normal' DTH kit with 120mm rampipes.

15. badger5

here ya go..

prototype.. some small mods to do on dwg, I did'nt get it spot on 1st time.

Here's some prototype adaptors to facilitate curved intake airhorns for the 16v DTH bodies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

330mm to port divider intake tract length
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  16. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Look expensive Bill ?

What do the the price will be for a set :thumbup:

17. badger5

Spacer/Adaptors are 15 each (TBC, pending batch size)
    Curved SF bodies I will do for CGTi folks for 18.40 each (which is 20% discounted)

price plus vat & delivery...

18. altern8 Forum Junkie

Great work they look ideal few questions, does the fuel rail bolt on ok past the spacer, are there any steps between the joins?

How would it look if the spacer had a slight taper almost V effect to create a angled flat to bolt an air box onto there?

I'm not sure how much room there would be with the standard rad and fan housing I'll see if I can measure it today

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Air_Filters/Air_Boxes_Backing_Plates/Air_Boxes_Backing_Plates.htm

[​IMG]

I was looking at my trumpets last night and the 2nd trumpet from the left has been rubbing on the bonnet

19. badger5

no steps, just smooth 45mm bores
    fuel rails will clear, not checked it first hand, but the 22.5' SF bodies space out and curve away so I dont see them fouling anything.
    I have a Jenvey backplate for filter, but they are out of stock of the 100mm deep filter I was after. 120mm airhorns in th epicture used.

things are very close to radiator, which for airlfow terms and cold air feed etc, ideally needs to be a short radiator so cold air duct can be employed.

Difficult for me to mock up much else currently, as I dont have a car here to try it on.

I think the red airboxes will be very large for the space available
    (guessing)

20. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Bring them to Inters to try on mine :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010