1987 Mk2 Golf Monza blue 16v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It depends on what you want the car to do for you.
    Both powertrains will work.

For a road car, the 20vT is probably the most flexible and durable at 200-250+bhp.

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

The right thing to do IMO as your car is realy sweet in OE spec :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with having a second mental car but the blue is tooooo sweet ;)

3. murph81 Forum Member

NA Mk1's and Mk2's are good fun in there own right but once you meet more modern machinery on the road it becomes embarrassing imo.

4. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Woops. Didn't see all the comments on this page too. I did think the 16v is a bit slow as well really. Could really use a little more.

But tbh I more want to do the 20v just for the challenge of fitting it really. And since Ive added all the optional extras onto this one, there isn't really much more to do to it. So the 20v is just so I can keep working on it really. But I do like the engine bay as it is. I don't know what to do.

5. murph81 Forum Member

If you are careful theres nothing stopping you from fitting the 20VT and if its not for you refit the old engine.

6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

That is true. I have just been offered an ibiza cable clutch conversion.

7. harryvr6 Forum Member

Just a thought, have you considered fitting an abf unit?

8. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Abf doesn't seem like enough of a challenge

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

20vs are even less of a challenge to fit.
    Drive a well sorted ABF 16v with the correct gearbox (ignoring numbers) and your view could change.
    The challenge with most combinations like that, is getting it to suit you.

10. harryvr6 Forum Member

:thumbup: :clap:

11. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I think a few people missed the T ;)

Liking the build, very tidy :thumbup:

12. Paul 16v Forum Member

Lovely car, I say 20v it, it will be more refined , quiet ,smoother and quicker. It's not like this is a track car. I think the 20v will suit it. Its not as if the car is original now it's got the 90spec kit on it (don't take that comment the wrong way).

13. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Exactly my thinking really. I don't want massive power. I just want to fit a 20v to make it look like it should be there. No cone filters or silicone hoses etc.
    I do still like that I have all the options on the standard 16v engine so I'm on the side of just a 16v refresh atm. I will decide later. *shrug*

14. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Let me know if you don't take up the seat clutch cable actuator offer, I could really do with it myself

15. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I will let you know. Will probably have it though.

16. Spuey Forum Member

I'm sure a man of your capabilities can fit a hydro clutch luke! apparently you can use mk4 parts too?! if you've still got the donor.
    http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=538853
    i find the SEAT actuator a bit pants, and you have to grind the mount for the reverse switch off the selector tower to get it to fit an 02j, not good for your OCD!

But i fully agree with the 20v comment, as much as i love a good ABF, it doesn't suit it.
    It's got every luxury a mk2 could possibly have, even cupholders! You don't want to be strangling a 16v up to 7k rpm to make it move, the 20v suits it perfectly.

17. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Oh yeah I defiantly could. Got most of the parts to do it too. I kept most of the parts like that from the mk4 i think as well. But if i could avoid cutting a hole in the shell then it would have been a bonus.

Oh yeah so you do have to grind the reverse light switch off. hmm. Still undecided if I will do it to this car though. I keep looking at cheap mk2s so I can just wack it in another one though.

18. Break Forum Member

such a beautiful car, it is great for so many reasons but and i dont think that should stop you swapping the engine for something that will make it even better to enjoy on the roads.

it is evident from all the hard work and the small details in the thread that you will definitely do the car justice with a modern power plant.

19. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks!

Half considering selling up now. hmm

20. Lukeybabes Forum Member

The 20vt isn't happening to this anymore which some of you will be happy with. I knew it would have been wrong to do. So I bought a new shell to do that to. But that is in another thread.

[​IMG]

Got my Digifiz back from having the milage corrected by the very generous Trev16v. Chucked it back in today. Woo correct milage. Forgot how cool it looked and how good the old Blaupunkt Sounds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Want this back on the road now. Anyone know good weekend car insurance?

Also found that my passenger door handle had snapped. Anyone have a new one I can buy?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015