1987 Mk2 Golf Monza blue 16v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Feb 4, 2014.

1. harryvr6 Forum Member

Ha ha! I know mate, i try to be open minded and no question they are good if not great cars, ive never been in one and that could be the problem maybe. Just love the mk2 shape, and yours is perfect, i wouldnt change a thing on it. Hope you get the power delivery rectified, i can recommend the abf but im often intrigued as to how mine running on kjet (abf motor) would 'feel' after being optimised and or given more power, to that end im changing my opinion slightly in favour of the 20v tuned route!

cheers, stew (harryvr6).

2. Lukeybabes Forum Member

The k jet is a great systems when its working correctly. But there are so many parts to it. Wouldn't mind swapping to an ABF block and head but there is nothing wrong with this engine. Just needs a few tweaks a think.

It feels like it looses power after around 4000 rpm so I started doing some health checks.

I know these first ones shouldn't really affect the performance but I found out my 5th injector wasn't working even though it gets power when cranking. And defiantly had fuel getting to it. Got another one but I thought id soak both of them in fuel overnight and tap them to try and get some gunk out.

Also soaking the idle air valve as I thought the idle was a little high. When I unplug it the idle drops to around 900 instead of 1100. It is buzzing with the ignition on though. Worth a clean while its off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Popped into TSR performance since I am local to them to ask how much to set the fueling up, 80 including a rolling road session. But first im going to check all the air hoses for leaks, possibly fit new inlet gaskets, new idle screw O ring, maybe get the injectors cleaned/try and get some new ones, and check the ignition and valve timing.

While driving to Gti international last weekend and from driving a modern car for a while, made me realise how terrible the mk2 wiper motor is. Not sure if I just have a bad one but i had the one from a mk4 golf i broke recently and thought id compare them.

Turns out they are a direct fit an even the mk2 plug, plugs straight in! Result.

Mk4 top and mk2 bottom in most pictures apart from the one of the motor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mk4 motor on the mk2 mechanism

[​IMG]

And here is some videos of a spare mk2 motor i had and the mk4 one. Doesn't look like much difference in the videos. Maybe i just have a bad motor on the car. But the mk4 wipers were very good when I drove it. Cant hurt to swap it over.

Click for videos

Mk2

[​IMG]Mk2 by Luke James, on Flickr

Mk4

[​IMG]Mk4 by Luke James, on Flickr

Will post proper results when I fit it to the car.

Nige likes this.
  3. harryvr6 Forum Member

Great work mate, i wish tsr were local to me! They'll sort you out thats for sure. Thats the problem when you have access to a much newer car to use, some things show up as being slightly inferior like you say wipers, and such like.

look forward to more updates on this mate!

cheers.

4. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks, Wipers and lights are the only downfall really. I have all the modern comforts on this car. lol. Well the lights aren't too bad now after fitting the upgraded loom. If the wipers are as good as the mk4s once I fit the motor I will be quite happy.

5. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Did a little tinkering on the 16v today after work, Checked all the spark plugs, inlet hoses for splits, ignition timing, and refitted the 5th injector, which is now working.

And I refitted the ISV. Idle is still a little high though. 1100ish. The ISV buzzes and gets warm like it should though. So maybe that isn't my issue. Tried adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body but couldn't get it any lower without blocking off the ISV.

Thought i'd check that the temp sensor was working correctly for the ISV control module. Thought it might just think the engine was colder so was idling higher. I checked one but then got distracted because the spade connection broke off one of the sensors. Checked one of the 2 for the ISV module though.
    I had to rob one off of an ABF engine I have (not for this car).

The RPM did drop when I unplugged one of the temp sensors though. Clue for anyone? And the rpm drops when I unplug the ISV itself.
    How does the ISV that buzzes actually operate? does anybody know. I cant find much info on this type of ISV. Can find how the older version works. But not this one.

6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Drove the mk2 today and I have to say doing the timing on it has improved it so much. Very happy!

And I swapped over the mk4 wiper motor. Literally a 5 min job to swap the motor over. Why hasn't this been done before? Didn't even have to take the whole mechanism out. And it's a massive improvement. Very happy with the mk2 today!!

Fastest on mk2 motor. (Click picture for video)

[​IMG]mk2 by Luke James, on Flickr

Fastest with mk4 motor. (Click picture for video)

[​IMG]Mk4 by Luke James, on Flickr

One of the best and easiest upgrades I've done I think. Early type mk4 golf wiper motor. Literally plug and play. The plug is different on the newer ones I think. I hope I don't have to use them this weekend though. National meet time! Whoop Whoop.

Toyotec, Nige, beetie and 1 other person like this.
  7. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Nice work on the Mk4 motor, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

8. Paul 16v Forum Member

Nice upgrade on the wiper motor, one I'll defo do it for sure although I try not to take it out in the wet lol

9. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Never knew the motor was a direct swap. Thanks for sharing :clap:

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Just last night I was thinking I could do with a faster wiper motor and then I discovered you posted this.

Thanks for sharing!

11. murph81 Forum Member

Nice, must try and see would one fit in my Mk1.

12. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks guys, You're all welcome. An early mk4 one is the same as a mk3 wiper motor apparently too. Some people are telling me its the sam speed as theres already though. Defiantly not the case for mine.

13. Andy.Redz New Member

Top work !!

14. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks Andy

15. GG.

GG. Forum Member

The wiper motor on my mk2 is pretty much the same speed as the mk4 unit, that you posted. Could be that yours was on it's way out, so definitely a good upgrade, as the mk4 motors probably are in better condition than any used mk2 units.

16. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Heard this a few times now. Probably the case. Mk4 ones are easier to get hold of too now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  17. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Bought a NOS parcel shelf for a bargain of a price. So I stuck it right in my car. Perfectly straight.

[​IMG]

And something that has been bothering me for a while. My drivers side mirror would only go side to side and would shake while driving along.
    So bought a new motor, They are the same as older bmws so cost basically nothing.

Much better.

[​IMG]