3.2 24v 4WD Track Corrado, trial build ready for Easter

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PhatVR6, Apr 15, 2004.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I've been working on the axle some more. The more I play with the outer adjumenet the more it makes me think that all it does is move the wheel around in the arch. well, it's giving a TINY bit more clearance between the wishbone and chassis leg, but raising the suspension does the same thing.....so i may keep slotting the inner hole some more and forget the outer one.

2. mk21147 Forum Member

What did you use to cut out the slots in the beam for the camber bolts. I have welded my plates to the beam first, but now need to sort the slots. Its a bit thick to file.

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

They were done on the same milling machine that did the slot down the plate.

I could have sold you some but you've alredy welded them on now!

I slotted the holes in the axle using a burr in a drill to break between the existing hole and a hole i drilled next to it. awful noise, and wrecks the tool, but does the job.

4. mk21147 Forum Member

Were can I get some burrs from? Machine mart?

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

dunno, i get most of my tools from sales and stuff.

you need a rotary burr, slightly smaller diameter than the hole, and get one with a long shank so you can go right through from the diff side through to the other plate on the inner mounts. the one i have has an end like a pine cone, so good for opening smaller holes out. Hoo Hoo Fnarr Fnarr, I bet that one get's quoted in someone's sig....

6. mk21147 Forum Member

Thanks, I will see what I can find.

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

machine mart have two kits, 30quid one has 3mm shanks 50quid one is abit beefier.

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Surely you mean a BARE not a BURR??

9. micky1 Forum Member

whats a bare???

bare bum, bare face lie.......

10. prof Forum Addict

bear?

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I bought a new MIG welder today, been without one now for a long time and it's really been holding the project up. welded on the inner camber adjusters and fitted the drivers side wishbone and wheel....gutted, the drivers wheel was now toeing out!! I'd put the rear beam in the middle of the slotted holes, turns out it needs twisting as far as the slot will allow in one direction. so i'd done all my meausrements on the one wheel and mirrored m measurements to the other side, and the axle wasn't straight....so i've actually over compensated very slightly for the toe.. not to worry, i'll go back to fitting the outer adjusters horizontally, i can dial it out and the fit much better in that orientation, they did sod all when fitted vertically.

14. altern8 Forum Junkie

hows your welding look?

15. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

^^^
    still crap, but ok considering I haven't done any for 2 years.

[​IMG]

16. rocco Forum Member

Looks pretty neat to me. Good to see that you are continuing with the project

17. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

earlier threads merged in, thanks chris.

sorry the image link are broken, and i probably don't have the images either.

18. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Here we go again. I'm not a bodywork man and I can't do my own painting, so I've got to the stage now where I need to spend roughly 2500 on paint and the carbon roof, money I just don't have spare at the moment. Paint I could do on the quick, but roof I can't. I was going to just clag some paint on and throw it together so I could use it, but knowing me I'd never pull it apart again to paint it properly. It needs painting on the spit to do it right. So, I decided to look for another Corrado VR6, as cheap as possible to use as a test bed. Critera: had to have a decent engine and be as cheap as possible.

As luck would have it my mate Jay Renshaw (of 24v Corrado fame) had a classic green VR6 which he'd had about a year but was having to sell due to a new addition to the family. So, a deal was struck and Jay brough the car over this morning and we stripped off everything he was selling off it. We slung on the BOGE suspension, rear beam and wheels off the mk3 16v i broke the other week.

I started pulling it apart this afternoon. It's a weird one. It had full beige leather recaros, air con and headlamp washers (including the huge 7L washer bottle). and also had a transponder immobiliser, I've never seen one of those on a Corrado before.

As per usual, thermostat housing and crack pipe has crumbled away, chains need doing and gearbox has an almighty leak on it, but all that will be coming off.

I've put it in this thread as all the work I'm doing to it is essentially going to be ongoing development work which will eventually end up in the caged shell. This was actually the idea with the blue one I bought 2 years ago, but I had to give that up for the S8, that was too good to pass up.

[​IMG]

19. gillm

gillm ***** User

look fwd in seeing it take shape

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie