3.2 24v 4WD Track Corrado, trial build ready for Easter

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PhatVR6, Apr 15, 2004.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

whats the plans for this one?

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Test bed. sling all my parts on it and use it.

revised tensioner blade
    [​IMG]

Oil staining cleaning out, new oil seal
    [​IMG]

Fidanza alloy flywheel (6lb) and Helix paddle clutch
    [​IMG]

Quaife 6 speed dog box with Peloquin diff. I wante dot get this bead blasted but just ended up clagging on a load of silver paint to cover up all the orange and black.
    [​IMG]

new box in
    [​IMG]

3. 12valver Forum Member

Looking forward to seeing this coming together :thumbup:

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Slung one of the KW Clubsports on today. I can't help thinking the top mounts don't look that flash compared to some of the adjustable ones I've seen...but if they work I can live with that. might find something better for the other shell.

[​IMG]

The same can't be said of the brakes, they looks amazing :-)
    [​IMG]

I had to make a hybrid cable bracket, half mk4, half VR6. I'd bought new Aurora rosejoints for the ends of the cables, still need to machine the pins on the shifter tower down to suit.
    [​IMG]

But it was all in vain, the cables supplied with the shifter are no good, they are totally the wrong length, one needs to be about 200mm shorter and the other needs to be 100mm longer. not impressed....cheers Grant, not...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Nice Work Phatty shame about the shifter cables !

Those brakes look the dogs B*llocks

are you gunna fit the Throttle Bodies to this Engine ?

i bet you can't resist putting the Carbon Bonnet on too :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Nah, ITB's have been sold.

Bonnet will be going on, and the carbon race mirrors. just about everything that will end up in the caged shell. Think of it as a trial build, but one I can use.

I'll chuck the nitrous on too. might see how much abuse the VR will take at the end of the season, just wind it up until it pops :-)

7. skoda4x4 Forum Member

just read alot of this and im very impresed, but i have a question, when putting haldex into a car that it doesnt belong in, you cant just put a controller on it can you? as it needs abs sensors and wheel speed sensors amongst other things, so how are you going to get the haldex actually working?

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hey - good to see you're back on a track project. Assume this is instead of buying another track car? Lot of quality bits going in this build!

9. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

:thumbup:

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Slightly problematic day.

Got the transfer box on, but had to totally chop up the downpipe and alter it. And it seems I have the wrong through shaft for some reason, must have been a mix up when I sold off the Vr6 syncro stuff. so that's a massive setback, can't do much else without that.

[​IMG]

And I've had to scrap one hub and driveshaft as I can't get the outer CV to seperate from the hub.

Oil cooler plate fitted
    [​IMG]

And tried a wheel on.
    [​IMG]

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Busy weekend. I'd had the carbon bonnet for around 2 years, been sat behind the sofa in the living room so I thought I'd put it to better use.

Drilled for pin and marked out for aerocatch.

[​IMG]

Yes it's the other side but this is after cutting, the inner skin needed slight clearancing too.
    [​IMG]

Aerocatches dropped in place
    [​IMG]

And fitted
    [​IMG]

Rear struts are too short as they are for a syncro. so i made up some extenders out of 50 and 60mm box section.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had to order new gear shifter cables but decided to redesign how the shifter works too. I butcherd an old shifter unit out of a late model vw (can't remember what) for its spring and holder. And pinched the crank arm off an 02M shifter tower I had spare.

It's only clamped together at the moment and will need extra brackets for mounting it all up but at least I'll now have straight cables and a proper self centering mechanism.

The shifter I cut up
    [​IMG]

The spring
    [​IMG]

shifting left pushes the lower spring leg down.
    [​IMG]

pushing right pushes the upper spring leg up.
    [​IMG]

let go an it returns (centres). well it will do when I attach the linkage between the crank arm and the shifter unit.
    [​IMG]

NOS Sportsman Fogger direct port nitrous oxide kit starting to take shape
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  12. bens_cab Forum Junkie

nicely done staring to come together liking the aero catches very smart

13. coullstar Forum Member

Looks strange, all those fittings. Will they clear the rad? Didnt realise you were still working on this.

Those brakes are mashooive.

14. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I've had to ditch the 2nd fan and it's mounting. I'll be fitting twin slimline fans on the front of the rad anyway.

#6 is pretty close to the rad, i'll probably have to move it forwards a touch so nothing touches when the engine is moving about. it's on vibratechnics mounts all round so it don't move a great deal anyway.

15. turbotommy Forum Member

Looking good this Phatty :thumbup:
    Thought you were joking about the Nos :o obviously not :lol:
    Don't throw away that hub and Cv joint,i had the same problem once (smashing it with a sledge hammer & still no good) but i've got some black magic fluid the MOD use and it tapped out after an hours soak [8(] your welcome borrow some :thumbup:

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I went and got it pressed out using a 70T hydraulic press. it practially fell out, the gauge didn't even register! the CV joint is scrap but I'm not bothered as I have my shafts anyway which were all replaced with new GKN ones and genuinw VAG gaiters when i first built the car 6 years ago.

17. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Been following your thread for what seems like forever and i have to say its really shaping up well! i really cant wait to see it out on the track! should be a beast (if a little insane with NOS aswell) ;)

There is 1 thing that i've noticed (hope you dont think i'm being picky as this is an awesome project)

[​IMG]

the box section does fix a problem but i'm not sure whether it presents another unseen problem (i've not dont the maths on this one for you as i dont have enough info - sorry) i dont know what she will sit when the wheel and she's on the ground but looking at that pic it seems as though the shock/beam will be pushing backwards on that box section and i'm a little worried it'll bend and do your machine some damage on a track?? i could be wrong like i say but it may be an idea to triangulate if possible to prevent this?

Keep up the good work chap! :clap: Looking forward to seeing the first outing!

18. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

skills with the copper pipe

19. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

my mate has ran them on his vento for a year with no problems. I looks bad in the pic as the axle is hanging down making the box section tilt back. but when the car is dropped back on it's wheels the angle gets better as the axle raised up to be horizintal to it's pivot.. The box section can't go anywhere or pivot, it's wedged firmly in the axle and bolted, and the connection from the strut to the box is no different than the connection into the axle

20. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

i stand corrected then sir [:D] Keep up the good work!