3D TV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Sep 20, 2010.

1. PeeJay Forum Junkie

The short version:

So... these 3D TV's, are they bobbings or what?

The long version:

The GF and I are moving in together in a couple of weeks (probably all end in tears but hey ho).

I have a 32" LCD TV from about 3-5 years ago and it serves me well. Its "only" 1080i and I've been told by geeks who 'know all about scart leads and what "true HD" means' that it's poo.

The GF has a slightly newer version of the same thing, but it's half owed by the sister (and former housemate) who wants it and will give us 150, or 150 and we can keep it. (her share of the cost of buying it a year or so ago).

We've decided that we're going to be all 'aspirational' and HAVE to have something bigger, maybe 40" (even though in my heart-of-hearts it's too big for our modest living room and will look silly/make me blind) We have pooled a couple of quid, plus the money from the sister mean we've got 500 to pay for it.

Happy days, 1080p 40" from Tesco for 480 which has the all important red/purple bit at the edge of the screen (matches the curtains I'm told).

But, when I bought my TV, without knowing much about it I was immediately told I bought the wrong type.

So Im looking at these 3D jobs, theyre too much money for me ATM, but like my current TV that cost me 900 back-in-the-day I expect theyre halve in price the moment I buy one. We can use mine as the living room TV for now (holding off my PS3 set-up in the bedroom for those annoying East/Corrie/Holby/BB/X factor moments.) and buy a 3D after Xmas when theyll drop to 40p.

I should add, I wont pay for TV so the only HD I get now is, Bluray and my PS3, but Ill be getting a Freeview HD recorder box in a few weeks. I dont intend to buy another else (3d enabled bluray player, 3d sky or such if thats required) Oh and Im old fashioned, buy things with cash, look after it and keep them a long time.

So, do I buy the TV I want, or will I be told by people I dont really care about that Ive bought the wrong thing AGAIN and should have bought a plasma/LED/3d/4 colour bobbings that Sulu advertises?

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Waste of money. Spend it on something more useful than a TV :thumbup:

3. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Top tip for moving in with a lady;

- Concentrate on christening every bit of the place and making breakfast in bed for each other, rather than what some blokes in the pub think of your TV :thumbup:

I say this as a bloke who has been shacked up happily with the bird for 5+ years, and we're still curled up in front of some sort of Sony Wega (nicknamed Megatron) with smiles on faces and no daft glasses on.

4. prof Forum Addict

x2

5. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Ha ha, thanks chaps. Bit of a reality check.

Do NEED a tv to-be-fair. The only things we've fallen out about in the last year has been her watching ****e reality TV / Soaps and me "playing with your sodding iphone all the time" aka whilst the **** is on so for the sake of our own sanity it's been agreed I'll retire to the bedroom on the PS so she can watch her telly nonsense in peace now-and-again.

I usually waste my money on Holidays and shiney mountain bike kit. I'm no coach potato.

6. prof Forum Addict

aye I go and hit the weights/build stuff/beat the kids while the soaps are on.

7. johnmk3 Forum Member

one of my friends just got a 40 inch led tv (i think) and the colours look all weird

i'd say if you HAVE to get a new tv have a look at some in currys / comet etc, find one with a picture quality / size you like then buy it online and save yourself 200

also sack the 3d off, literally no point at the moment as you wont e able to use any of the 3d stuff for a good few years

8. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

Picture qualty fails when you have a tv that is too big for the veiwing distance of your room. You dont need a 50" coz the bloke down the road is bragging about it because in reality he has to move his head to see different parts of the screen and it will be pixelated because he failed to look on the interwebs to see the correct size tv for the distance that you have your comfy armchair from it. you dont want it too small either as squinting is not a good look. Do some distance/size research first, decide on your budget and get the best tv for your money that comes in the size that is recommended for the length/width of your room. I thank you!

9. prof Forum Addict

my mate has a 50" TV, to view it properly you need to be in the back garden, stupid waste of money

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Why don't you BOTH get out more instead? When you're trapped in the house with kids, or too old and crippled to do much, you can veg out with the TV and playstation then. Do you have any hobbies you like to do together? If not find some, or find another partner.

11. gtijon Forum Member

There's one set who'll tell you you've got the wrong telly because it hasn't got all the bells and whistles on.

There's another set who'll think you've got no money if you don't have a massive telly.

There's another set who'll think you've got no class if you have a massive telly.

But seriously, no matter what telly you have, so long as it isn't horrific, you'll get on with it. When you're not sat with it side by side with another telly in the shop, you'll never notice or care that you can't quite see the telly presenter's grey bits that the make up artist missed.

Personally, I'd spend my cash on a plasma or LCD telly at the minute - the extra money on a plasma = better picture, LCD = OK picture. LED = similar to LCD, but you can tell your mates how it's thinner than your credit card. Which is naff all use when it's stood on top of a stand with your video recorder.

3D stuff is very much in its infancy from what I see in the papers - wearing daft glasses that cost 200 a pop on some sets... How long until we actually have any decent 3D content to watch? 3-5 years probably? By which time the tellies will be a lot cheaper and a lot better.

12. prof Forum Addict

Whereas the 3d stuff in avatar etc is great, who'd want to see 98% of current TV in 3D

Dreary Barlow looming out of the TV at me, Thank God Charlie Dymock's not on anymore

13. PeeJay Forum Junkie

The GF does have a kid. He's only 4 so he asleep by 7:30 which makes the GF pretty much house bound weekday evenings.

Glad so many people are giving the correct "get out more" type replies. Typically I ride one evening a week, visit mates another. Plus weekends I'm rarely in the house between mountain biking and taking the boy places. We went on a nature walk around CwmCarn mountain yesterday and to a CBBC Live & Deadly event.

But sometimes you've gotta just sit still and veg for a bit!

14. lard44 Forum Member

LED TV FTW.

Seriously, if you're gonna spend any money on a tele make it an LED - LCD are sooooo 2000s

15. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I still dislike the fact you need to wear glasses to watch 3d! Especially paying up to 100 per pair for each person at home who wants to watch it!

16. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

don't buy a 3d tv.

buy a panasonic or new samsung...

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ yep yep.

I assume the one with the red bottom is a samsung 530? That's what I have and it is a fantastic TV although sound isn't great so might want surround sound if you don't already?

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Bin the TV, life is much more interesting without one. Seriously.

19. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Seconded. We have a 24" CRT, and that is too much.

20. nealey Forum Junkie

Bloke i work with has recently bought a 3d tv, paid something like 2.2k for it, gave his lad headaches after watching it

Not much content on there in 3d atm either he says, you can only watch previews. Sky are supposidly bringing 3d later in the year, think its free to begin with but i bet it wont last long