3D TV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Sep 20, 2010.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Shelling out a premium for a 3D telly now is just barmy, IMO.

There is nothing broadcast in 3D yet, and very few films with it (not enough to justify the outlay).

It was the same with HD. Everyone rushed to get them because they were the must have thing, despite there being no HD broadcast for some time...

So, I`d say go with your initial thought, and get a decent telly that won`t blow the budget, and wait for the 3D when it`ll actually be worth having, and a damn sight cheaper to boot.

2. salsheikh Forum Member

3. prof Forum Addict

"the must have thing" why what'll happen if you don't buy it?

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm on the market for a 22" tv/dvd combi for anout 180, any tips?

I saw a nice looking Techwood LED tv for 149 in Morrisons but have never heard of them.

5. PeeJay Forum Junkie

'The Man' tried to push me again last night, fired up the PS3 to see the MotoGP from the weekend on the iPlayer. Wouldn't do a thing till I updated the software (which REALLY grips my **** - forced upgrades!!) it tells me it's now full prepared to play 3D Blurays!

Still balls to it, sticking with the plan. Gonna get something sensible (that matches the certains).

Anyone have a link to that site that shows you the ideal size Tv for your room?

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

I bought a Toshiba one last year for the Kitchen, cant fault it.

7. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

how far away are you sat from the tv (your face)?

8. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Not far, 4m or 5m tops I'm guessing. Might have a measure up tomorrow night.

We have an option to put it in the corner of the room and shift everything about, might get 7m then.

9. WEZ

16 feet?

I'm 12 feet away and have a 50" and that's looking a little small now, 60" would be better.

At 16ft you'd be recommended, and by me, to get a 70"+

10. PeeJay Forum Junkie

16ft? Nah no chance, I'm way off. More like 10ft max.

I'm useless at guess this sort of thing. I'll get the tape out.

11. WEZ

get a 42 or 46 then.
    what's your budget?
    you can get some great 42" tv's for not a lot nowadays, I would always recommend panasonic though....

12. WEZ

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

is her sister fit?

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

agreed with that so much, to the extent that we also "only" have an old (10 years maybe?) sony vega that was given to us... that thing kicks ass and shows no sign of dying

cant see the need for a hall-way tv in my life just yet

15. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Budget 500ish, maybe a bit more.

No, Sister not fit, she's a total tool and mentally unstable.

I'd like to get a Samsung, both our existing TV's are Samsung and have been faultless. I covert reliability over anything else.

Don't want to bother with a dish, the house it brand new an just had a fancy new aerial fitted so I'm hoping the signal will be strong enough for good Freeview HD picture.

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Precisely! I don`t get the need to have the latest anything, just to conform to some level of social acceptance.

I rate them too. Last and current TV/surround sound systems were/are Samsung (so is my microwave! :lol:)

When I bought the current one about three years ago, I wasn`t fussed about having the latest model, especially at 1100 for the 37".

I waited until the new model came out, then went down to Comet, and picked up the outgoing 42" model for just 600 (it`d been 1200 the week before...result)

Still going strong, never had an issue with it, and it still looks smart. :thumbup:

17. WEZ

don't listen to these fools, if it's not the brand new samsung panels, buy a panasonic...

18. pRot3us Forum Junkie

F**k 3D

That is all :)

19. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Yep.
    In all the gadget show reviews of lcd's i have seen over the last few years, Panasonics have won them all for picture quality.

We bought a cheap(280ish) 32" LG last year for the bedroom and the colours on that look sooo much better than our 3 year old 42" Toshiba in the living room(750 when 1 year old, so about 1200 new) which was highly recommended at the time.

So long as its new(this year or last) it should be great whatever you get. Just check for the basics, like a good contrast ratio.

20. Funky Diver Forum Member

Also, 3D doesn't really loom AT you, it's more the background disappears away from you, which gives you the 3D'ness of it. And it IS awesome.

Personally, and I'm with MikeH on this, save yer money, spend 300 on a decent LCD now, and if you really HAVE to have a 3D LED, get one in a coupla years once the early adopters have given their manufacturers of choice the easy money.

LG are surprisingly good, although I personally wouldn't have one... Samsung all the way here!!

Samsung - best TV for your money, in my opinion
    Sony - overpriced, you're paying for the name and don't necessarily get any extra features
    Panasonic - over priced and not particularly brilliant compared to the likes of Sammy and LG
    Sharp - recent ones are pretty good, and quite stylish to look at
    LG - surprisingly good in the last year, prior to that they were a bit hit n miss.

Technik, ViewSonic, etc etc. If you really are happy to have one, you're not really going to get better than the 30" box you currently have. 1080i is the maximum standard that HD is available in, in the UK, presently.

TrueHD only means a TV has 1080p, but it's marketing more than common sense and doesn't HAVE to have other modes (1080i / 720p included!!). HDReady just means a TV will play at least 720p and up to 1080i.

The OTHER option, stick with your 30" in the lounge and get a 24" HDReady monitor for use on your PS3, does just the same job, coupled with some speakers and you're set. I can certainly recommend Benq.