3D TV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Raider Forum Member

The refundable warranty at Richer is good aswel.....10% on top of the purchase price.

I bought my old man a Visual Innovations 32" LCD for not much more than 220IRC so he could watch the World Cup in peace from me ma rarely gets used other than the odd football match he watches....

Can't go wrong with the cheaper makes with a warranty like theirs... It breaks it's their problem.

2. Admin Guest

is it a discountinued model?

3. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

I have the 720p version of this in my room, picture quality is ok, but leagues behind my panasonic.
    Might actually look better if I wasn't sat 3/4 feet away from it mind, and yeah, for the money, then Samungs are good, but I wouldn't have anything but the latest panels in the living room, i'd rather have a 1/2yr old Panny...

4. Admin Guest

so is it any good, mixed reviews on the net about it, some say its poor gaming quality, others say its fab. No built in freeview? though its specced?

At 380 is a 100 less than the sony i'm currently looking at.

5. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

no, I read it's quite laggy for gaming, although that's what I use mine for, mine's alright, but the close up detail compared to my panny is ****e, full of artefacts.

which sony where you looking at, as they used to make some really good 40/42" models?...

6. PeeJay Forum Junkie

What, this one?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/.../sams-le40b530

I'll be calling into my local Richer Sounds this weekend to give it a poke, I'll report back.

If it hasn't got built in freeview it wont be getting bought. I think my mate has one, looks the same (red surround) but they all do to me.

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

mine has built in freeview and is 1080p. It is extremely clear for gaming but then I don't play COD where it may show any weakness? On racing games etc it looks brilliant and most of my mates comment on how good it looks when they come round.

Im not a TV geek though, I think they all look good :lol:

8. Admin Guest

I think the 2009 version didn't have the freeview built in? thats my guess from the reviews/dates of them.

Don't play COD either, it'll moslt be racing games, NFS and the long awaited GT:lol:
    Plus that new Tom Clancy flying game looks ok.

Think i need to go look at it in store.

9. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

It does have freeview that model. The reason they are so cheap is because they haver newer models out.

Excess stock etc.

As for gaming you don't need 100hz anyway, I spent some time at AV-Forums lurking for a bit and 100hz is pretty much crap.

10. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Ahhh got the tape out. Head to TV is 2.5 meters (said it was small)

40" too big?

11. Admin Guest

I'd have said perfect, as i'm pushing for a 40" at home:thumbup:

12. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Nealey _ 2.2K for a bloody telly, they must be nuts. Chris and Patrick have it right, get what you need or do without. Far more fun to be had without one. We are on cable and still have the one we bought years ago and a spare in reserve. OK if I upgraded (why should I as it still works OK) I might say "Oh this one is soooo much better) but ignorance is bliss and it is all right and we do not keep up with the Jones' we are the Jones' and were the last people in our road to have a colour TV all those years ago. I hate to hear people trying to make others feel inadequate about their possessions and rubbishing them. Laugh at them for wasting their money, I would.

13. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

This site http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/choosing-the-right-size-tv/2/ would suggest that a 40" would be fine at 7.5ft away

[​IMG]

Although I just measured mine and I'm 2.5m away from the 40" Samsung, I think it is the right size. 42" would be a tad too big

I was lucky to pay 300 for mine but certainly wouldn't spend anymore than 500 on a TV. My parents spent 850 on their Panasonic Viera and I honestly cannot tell the difference.

My mate raves about how good our Samsung's are (we have the same TV) when playing Blu-Rays, I'm happy just watching SD tv.

Depends what you want out of it really, although once it's been up and running for a week your eyes will adjust and you'll be happyy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  14. andypaterson Forum Member

15. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

50" would be way too big in my opinion and would have to be watching everything in HD or blu-ray especially at that proximity

16. gtijon Forum Member

That chart's hilarious. Apparently my 32" telly is too small because I'm sat about 10-12 foot away from it.

When I was a kid, we had a 14" portable in the front room, and I was the remote control. I'm not that old either :lol:

I reckon if I followed that chart, I'd have a 50" telly and feel how I did when work replaced our monitors with massive things after a break in - 24" or something. Your entire field of vision was monitor, made you want to vom [xx(]

17. andypaterson Forum Member

Its really a chart to determine where you will be able to noticeably take advantage of High Definition content. 1080p on a 32" from miles away will look identical to SD, but as you get closer the higher resolution will start to make a difference.

18. PeeJay Forum Junkie

That chart was sooo written by a tv shop.

According to that we could get away with a 60" in our tiny room!

Also my current living room (which is squash court size ish) I'm right off the bottom of thr chart, and my 32" seems OK, even if you CSM struggle a bit from the right back of the room.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  19. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

I found that chart quite weird. We have seats different distances from our TV and according to that I need a huge screen(not). I find it tragic that if you don't have the biggest, and please do not take this the wrong way, each to their own, or most expensive whatever you are odd. I grudge replacing anything that no longer works. Haha gtijon, it ever "Anthony" from the Royle Family leaves his job you could take his place, don't get offended but your comment about being the remote made me think of them.

20. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

you could get away with it, but you'd need to have HD for definite otherwise you just lose all the quality

[​IMG]