8v and 16v torque

Discussion in 'Engines' started by deajam, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

Yeah, a whole 1.1 mpg according to VW. ;)

2. HidRo Forum Member

i just made some MATH over here, and i got that you can do less then 10l at each 100km...
    isn't that a litle strange!?my Stock 16V is consuming 11l/100km... something like maybe 20/25 mpg... [xx(]

how do you manage that!?

3. Joe_G Forum Member

[Tesco] Every little helps [/Tesco] :lol:

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

in it's final evolution i would still return 30mpg overall on mine.

5. 8VTORQUE New Member

just put my 2 pence worth in , i have an 8v and my bro has an 16v (GTI16V) he likes the instant punch of my 8 and says its much more noticable than his [:D] but i love the fact that when i drive his mota it keeps pulling and pulling , a real differance to mine when im past 5750ish [:^(] . i do have to conceed to my bro most of the time but up to 80 into 4th its pritty even , but im never getting past him [:^(] and on the motorway i can forget about it :( , Both blinding and fun motas in there own different ways :thumbup:

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

Firstly, the comment about the "SAME" power was by Mike, not me....

I certainly don't pretend that my car is anything like standard...just pointing out that my 8v in a decent state of tune has very similar torque to a number of tuned 2L 16v cars....whilst having more top end power than a KR 16v...

There are other ways to go, other than 16v, albeit at a price ;) I pointed out that a 16v is a cheaper & ultimately more powerful way forward...

I should hope my car would outperform a standard 16v (as it does) given whats been done to it.... ;)

So your "too many doors, not enough valves" slur has been mis-placed...;)
    Edited by: chrismc

7. smithy Forum Member

Very good point. My Kent Cammed 8v is much heavier on fuel than my new valver, although to be fair it is running on a Weber carb.

8. deajam Forum Member

Thats why I quoted MIKE and not you!!

I've read YOUR posts and thought they were valid so did't knock them.

The too mant doors, Not enough valves comment was a saying my girlfriend came up with when I'm looking at Mk2 Golfs in Auto Trader. It was put as a signature line not a personal comment to Mike or indeed other people who took it personally, yourself included.

I think the tos*er comment was way out of order, I wasn't even quoting you and hadn't mentioned you in any way.

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

I apologise! [:$]

Maybe it might be worth you highlighting your sig in inverted commas to avoid confusion though.. ;)

As an owner of a 5 door 8v with a not inconsiderable amount spent on tuning, im sure you can see how the quote was misinterpreted & I thought was aimed at myself.....

Perhaps you might like to educate your G/F that not all 5 doors look rubbish, & it always puts a smile on my face when I drop a nice 3 door 16v who thinks he's stumbled across yet another wheezy 8v.. [:D] ;)

10. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

How on earth can you compare 2 engines that are totally different, and then justify your argument by saying they must be of the same power!??

If you went with the thread, and compared engine that are of the same state of tune you may come to a completley different conclusion....

11. S1MMA Forum Member

ahh, but what about gearing?

If the 8v and 16v make similar torque upto x rpm, then whichever is shorter geared should accelerate faster? So what does a valver make mph per 1000rpm in 1st and 2nd and what does an 8v make? Mine does nearly 60 in 2nd at about 6150rpm, which is a mk3 8v, not sure about 1st.

What do the valvers do? I'd assume they would be shorter geared across the gears as they have that extra 1000rpm to play with, is that right?
    Edited by: S1MMA

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

8 and 16v's have identical gears until 5th.

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Tub's referring to a mk2 of course.

Mk3 8v and 16v have different gearboxes altogether.

I've got the mk3 8v gearbox in my mk2 - can't be that bad as there's nothing in the performance of Tub's (with the correct 16v 'box) and my car between 60 and *** mph.

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I had a mk3 8v GTI gearbox in my old 8v...

I only had it for 5 days though, then blew it up, so can't comment on how it compared to the mk2 8v box.! :lol:

15. jc.. Forum Member

8v has sodium filled valves too [:D]

16. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

You sure? I thought only the 16v had them because of the increased running temperature...

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Only the 16v's did.....

18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I think you'll find it's only the early KR 16v that has sodium filled valves anyway. :lol:

You can tell by just shaking them, you can feel the sodium moving around inside.

19. setgti Forum Member

I think the 16V is a more flexible engine with regards to where the torque peak it. If you want 16V performance leave it as it is. If you want 8V performance you could probably weld up the ports and intake manifold to choke down their diameter and move the torque band down to be like an 8V. But you can't open up an 8V to perform like a worked 16V. Like someone said earlier, the 8V is easier and cheaper to maintain.

20. mark25 Forum Junkie

if you were a bit of a whiz with a cylindrical grinder, you could just round every other cam lobe on a 16v, MEGA torque, would run out of puff pretty early though......