"A" vr6 Yank MK2

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by afbiker02, Apr 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Looked quality retro on the curved-faced Ronals today at Curborough :thumbup:

2. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Chris

3. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

VW hoses are good for years
    GSF = very bad hoses, they go rock hard and crack

I have recently found http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/vw/golf/golf2/engine
    I replaced my heater matrix hoses with ones from VWS. Brand were Topran. Seem to be good so far, but will keep a close eye on them just incase lol

Was glad to hear you only missed 1 session out on track due to hose leakage / changing hoses, good effort Lee :thumbup:

4. afbiker02

Cheers for the link Ben, I'll have a look at it. I did think I would miss more than just one lap so I'm quite pleased. I think I still have Seb's knife though

5. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Lee.

If you can find Gates hoses, they are top-notch rubber. They make 'exactly' correct hoses for the Mk2. They were probably OE suppliers to VW.

SDa.

6. afbiker02

I'll have a look to see if I can find them. I'm torn between buying VAG rubber hoses and silicone ones

7. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

If the VAG stuff is still available, and you can afford them, go VAG!

I only quoted Gates as I assumed VAG stuff would be NLA by now.

Having said that, I now realise, in my utter stupidity, that I bought a full set of VAG hoses for the EV back in 2007 when I first bought the car.

The top hose burst while it was having the headlights properly aligned at the dealers. The mechanic brought me home and I took a hose from the PB, until the correct hoses could be brought over for me!

8. afbiker02

Well I'll see what they'll cost but I'm still seriously considering the silicone ones because I don't want to worry about them anymore. I keep checking under my car for pools of coolant or expecting to lose it all on the motorway again.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Allparts can supply the Gates Hoses. I got a couple of TDI bottom hoses (for the bigger radiator) for about 11 or 12 each.

I picked up a set of Samco hoses for the Rocco 2nd hand. Still haven't fitted most of them. I actually prefer black rubber hoses to the blue bling nonsense. The VW hoses are pretty good, even at 20 years old. GSF ones are short-life tat by comparison.

10. afbiker02

Thats not too bad as long as they last. If I get the Samco hoses I'll probably get black ones

11. afbiker02

Some pitures from Curby that to Deako's wife:thumbup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. afbiker02

I got somemore pictures from Stella yesterday so i thought I would share
    Getting ready to go
    [​IMG]
    Coming into the first turn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I should have adjusted the camber[eek]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Coming down the stright
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to Stella for the pictures

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  13. afbiker02

Well I decided it was time to put some new shoes on the front of the golf and Sunday made it very clear it had to be done soon as I had little to no grip in the rain. Looking at the tyre it's not hard to see why
    [​IMG][eek]
    So I got some of these fitted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Very pleased with the grip in the rain.

Looking foward to see what kind of power it's still has on Sunday, I'll post rusults when I have them and a few more little changes that are in the works

14. afbiker02

Started yesterday off pretty early, to get down to London. I ended up being over an hour early so I went to McDonalds next to Toyotec's RR for some much needed breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    After everyone started showing up Eddie got the rollers started and a few cars run it was my turn. My 27 year old car put out 102 BHP[:D]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike H showed up after my car finished on the rollers to bring me these
    [​IMG]
    They fit great, I just need to order some of these so I can install my harnes' properly but the regular seatbelt still work perfect.
    [​IMG]
    After seeing Mike_H's car on the rollers BenS, NatABF and DC75 decided they were leaving so I tagged along so I didn't get lost driving out of London. Thinking back following Ben might not have been the best idea but it sure was fun to say the least. At on point Ben had us in the wrong lane, left us at a roundabout and left DC75 at a red light. Every tunnel required us all to rev our engines like little kids:lol:. As we came out of this tunnel
    [​IMG]
    the car behind DC75 got rear-ended...as a police van drove past:o. We continued on to Tower bridge
    [​IMG]
    As one final way for the city of London to keep us there for a little longer we got stuck at a traffic light that would change long enough for 4 cars to go through...just. Seeing as there was 4 of us in our little convoy, this wasn't too bad but the cyclest that decided to cross the road we were turning down right as the light tunred found out that if they didn't move fast they were going to get run down by 4 golfs.:lol:
    Blackwell tunnel was fun...and loud[:D] As I split from the group to head home, I gave them a wave and a beep. I had such a good time and can't wait for Curby in September

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  15. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

probably my best ever trip into London, the tunnels were great fun(for us) but i did poop myself when that car got shunted behind me, good to meet you again and bound to see you at other shows up and down the country:thumbup:

16. afbiker02

Well my car hit 210k miles the other day, so happy with the little 8 valve for keeping up this long and I'm sure it's got alot more miles to cover.

The postman tried to deliever this on wednesday but I wasn't home and neither was the wife so I picked it up yesterday.[:D]
    [​IMG]
    I ordered these in July and now there here just waiting for time to fit them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Basildon's finest: Gaz shocks

Curborough won't know what hit it when the A-reg goes around on the Gaz suspension :thumbup:

18. afbiker02

Well I got the new coilovers fitted Sunday morning, I was a little short on time so I didn't get any pictures. They went on fairly easy except for the fact that I forgot how the front top mounts went together[:$] so I had to take it off a few times. My car now feels very planted and no longer has reverse rake. I'll get a picture up soon

19. afbiker02

It's an old picture but went from this:
    [​IMG]
    To this:
    [​IMG]

20. danster Forum Addict

That looks nice, but you need to address the missing "10" in your engine bay. ;)