ABF Problems

Discussion in 'Engines' started by photek, Apr 25, 2007.

1. photek New Member

I have what seems to be a common problem with my ABF engine on cold start up.

It splutters like a mad thing and misses when you press the accelerator. Once it is warm it is fine, even when you switch off and leave it for an hour or so.

I first changed the 4 pin temp sensor (on the right hand side of the head as you face the car) and it didn't fix the problem.

I have just changed the poxy 2 pin sensor (long thin one also on the right hand side of the head as you look at the car) which I was pretty sure was the problem and it is still bloody doing it

Please, please can someone give me a clue (with part numbers if poss) as to what else it could be. Or if anyone in the Cambs / Beds area has VAG COM and data cables that I could pop down and use there is a beer or two in it for them.

Sorry for the big load of text but I am getting fed up with it!!!

Thanks,

Mark.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you changed the sensors but did you check the wiring was ok? if the loom is damaged youre still in the same boat

failing that, dead vac hoses will confuse sensors and make it run rich

3. garfayliu Forum Member

hi mate,

I have VAG COM, could possibly take to the next cambridge meet this sunday, although I should be dropping my bro off at Hinchingbrooke hospital afterwards as he's working there at the moment, could probably meet up for a quick 10mins to diagnose before I come home.

No idea what could be causing your probs though.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Scan it and let me know. We could solve it F1 style...

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

is F1 style the way forward?

where can i learn F1 style?

6. garfayliu Forum Member

haa...

F1 style, I read fault codes to my laptop, dialup with my mobile, msn toyotec with codes/diagnosis and he prescribes remedy, which I initiate some how.

7. photek New Member

I would really appreciate that garfay I have had enough of trying to do it trial and error hehe. Vag com will at least give me a clue here to start!

My next question will be... where did the previous owner put the serial port [:^(] :lol:

8. garfayliu Forum Member

Ahh that's a good question, if he did I hope its the 15-pin style one and not the old 2 connector one as I've only got the newer type cable. Let me know once you find it and when/where to take VAGCOM.

9. photek New Member

I think it is the 15 pin one from memory. I will have a look for it tomorrow and PM you fella.

It might be behind one of the blanked out dash switches [:[]

10. Antichav Forum Member

I had a very similar problem on start up, sounded rough as a badgers bottom, got it scanned, they said it was a air intake sensor on the air box (25) ever since I changed it it seems to be fine..

I might be wrong though

11. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

mark your only 70miles from me lol

just pop down mine this weekend ;)

12. photek New Member

Interesting. Don't suppose you have a pic of what and where it is. I have a BMC induction kit and don't remember seeing any air intake sensor?

sc0rian:

I should be meeting up with Garfay if he is available mate. Will let you know otherwise. Cheers.

13. Antichav Forum Member

on the stock system it sits just after the airbox and is connected with a C clip to a lead, looks a bit like a thin black plastic babies dummy..
    Matt's the one to ask, I'm pretty sure if you don't have one it's bad :Z

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

correct. ought to be just after the filter. small black probe, 2 pin with 5v across it. if that aint there it wont be telling the computer the temp of the intake air temp.

if its unplugged that does cause the computer headaches

15. photek New Member

Just popped out to take a pic and cant really see anything like you describe. Unless it is anything to do with the black hose with the bolt in the end?

[​IMG]

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

see that red hose that goes into the intake trunk.. thats a c0ck up. that is basically a massive vacume leak.

pull the red hose off and cap off the nipple on the throttle body. that will help for starters.

i cannot for the life of me see where your temp sensor is.... is it not laying around under the filter anywhere?

tomorrow ill look at mine and tell you which part of the loom it spurs off from ok.

17. photek New Member

Thanks a lot Matt, I will sort that vac hose in a sec and see if it makes a difference.

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

PS i hope i didnt just call you a c0ck if you did the conversion and put the pipe like that yourself lol

see the other black one next to it (about 1cm thick) well that can be taken off and capped too, it serves no purpose now without the carbon canister

just thought... even if i told you which part of the loom the temp sensor came from, it may not help as yours appears to be in a mk2.

ill try anyway.

that wiring thats around your top mount, that appears to be the wiring for the lambda sensor. is that all in good knick too?

19. photek New Member

No worries mate the conversion wasn't done by me ;)

I have done what you suggested and blanked the red one off. It hasn't cured the problem but it has made the throttle feel a lot more progressive and less notchy. Does that make sense.

Good thinking about the wiring... Mk2 it is and It appears that there is no diagnostic function to check as it is wired to digi [:^(]

Could the lambda cause this kind of problem? I thought it only did tiny adjustments?

20. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

that little red hose wont make that much difference..

i ran mine un blocked for ages... just idled a little high.. by bout 100rpm,w never less block it!

lamdba cant cause it mate.. only fine tunes it.. like ya said ;)

whats that big black pipe at the top doing??

i know the hard bottom one is the oil breathin system