ABF Problems

Discussion in 'Engines' started by photek, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yup, that makes sense. when they are ill they have a notchy throttle for sure. eventually you can stop it being an on off switch and actually have it progressive!

the lambda.. if its screwed can make it run rich im lead ot beleive (i think mine is still original... over 160k miles old)

ought to replace it really, but they cost plenty of money

2. photek New Member

I think the black hose at the top is for the carbon canister (see Matt's post above) I will get rid of it tomorrow.

I have also got an oil breather filter to fit too.

Looking forward to having a car that I can use without having to pee the neighbors off for ten mins each morning letting it warm up [:$]

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

haha mark

hope ya fix it soon bud

4. Supercharged Forum Member

Might be worth resetting the ECU after the pipe change as the ABF's digifant is adaptive...

Then you really need to get it on VAGCOM...

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

is digifant the one that will slowly notch the ignition forward again?

6. garfayliu Forum Member

That will be fun, seeing as the diagnostic port wasn't fitted by the person who did the conversion before Photek got his hands on it!!

I was on msn with Toyotec earlier trying to figure out if I can get to ecu to connect up my diagnostic cable, gave up in the end as I don't want to risk shorting the ecu, plus autodata doesn't say which is the k-line or l-line, oh well.

If all else fails, I'll have my mk3 ABF for comparison and we can play spot the difference.

Mark, I'll give you a text in the morning.

Anyone got any figures for what voltage/resistance the ABF lambda probe should be giving, I'll whack on my multimeter whilst Photek is down.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

F1 style repairs eh? .... ill watch this thread closely...

8. photek New Member

I know, these guys are pretty hardcore. I should have posted on here when the problem started instead of changing random sensors lol!

F1 style is the future!

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it looks like it is now and we have been left behind. [:D]

feck it. yoursll be tip top in no time

how many miles a tank it getting?

10. photek New Member

Hmm good question, between 200 and 250 miles per tank. Don't know if that is good or bad to be honest as I am used to 20vt and their thirst for juice!

11. scottymk2 Forum Member

if you can get vagcom to work/find the diagnostic port you should be sorted. As for the lambda sensor, this wont make a diff to the starting but i just fitted a new bosch universal one (43 quid), mind had done 80k - it now gets slightly better fuel economy - gets 38mpg at 70 - 80!

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

dunno about tank size of the mk2 compared to mk3.

with a mk3, if youre getting 300 a tank then you have a healthy car. thats just another way of guaging them

13. Antichav Forum Member

that makes me happy matt, I'm getting 330 if I drive like my dad!
    just gone in for a service today, I brace myself for a hefty bill as it's flashing 02 and has just hit 100k, having my throttle body cleaned, isv checked etc..
    Found out what my 'whoosh' noise is.. apparently there is a rubber thing near the bottom of the steering rack that hot pipes can burn through and make a noise like that, we shall see!
    Photek, I am considering getting shot of my stock air system, if I do and you want to go back, you can have it.

Rich

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

330 is a good score indeed. when i got mine it was running very rough. 240 per tank was about as good as it got. now that (hopefully) nearly all the issues are cleared up, i get over 300 on every tank, including the last one that involved santa pod.

on the RR day, im looking for 180bhp. last time i was there i was on 95ron, had a fueling prob and a cat.

fingers crossed :p

15. Antichav Forum Member

apparently shell V Power is supposed to be excellent stuff..
    did you have your car on the rollers in stock form? any idea what it was pushing out at the wheels?

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i cant remember the 'at the wheels' figure. when it was on there last year it had the chip in and that was it. the fuel pressure regulator was sticking/stuck at the time hence a massive hole in the torque plot below 3krpm.

im putting a new fuel filter on this weekend and ill say my prayers on sunday and well see what score i get [:D]

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the chip is mapped to actually take advantage of higher octane stuff. not sure if you can feel it though lol

before it was obvious that max power was at 6400rpm because it went soft after that. now, it just continues to pull right past there

18. garfayliu Forum Member

hi ho,

Photek(Mark) you have text, found the ISV.

Matt, I'm not sure what power I'll be getting on the JabbaSport RR day I've got going on 19th May. But I've got the same chip as you, then a free flow airbox to k&n and Milltek SS CAT-back system. If its above factory then I'll be happy tbh! I don't get to use >5krpm much nowadays.

Antichav: first and last time I used Vpower I had a small crash, I'm going to try Tesco99 for my RR run.

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

similar ish spec to mine. does yours stop pulling harder once you get to 6400rpm or does it just carry on at the same rate?

20. Antichav Forum Member

is your blitzchip a piggy back jobby? I'm thinking of getting something like a superchip.

ouch, was that a result of a heavy right foot and your MAARRSEEEV power gain, or just an unfortunate coming together with a lesser car?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007