Aftermarket cams what to replace?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Peter, Aug 19, 2004.

1. daviddd Forum Member

I'm wanting to do a conversion and get the most out of my valver. Defo a 2L lump, and then I was undecided about the resy - how to push up towards 200 HP - thought aboutport and polished head, 4 branch etc....but is this TSR conversion seems superior in terms of HP, what about cost. [:^(]

Is there a *perfect* formula for getting the best out of a valver, retaining K-jet, for say under 2K? [:s]

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No, I haven't. But if it's the sort of wear you need a micrometer to measure then to be honest it wouldn't bother me in the least. If decent verniers don't show it up then it's fine by me. I've yet to see a VW tappet that has any serious high/low spots on the surface, even on old, roached ones.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

:lol: But don't think you can 'just' bolt those parts together and get those results, cos it doesn't work , I've tried it. :lol:

You need a 'thing' whatever that is, to make it all work.
    Edited by: G_V_K

4. seth223uk Forum Member

:lol: wats that then?

5. H8SV8S Forum Member

I was told this by my Schrick dealer too (and TSC a few months ago!). I'm not replacing mine with the cams and I'm sure it'll be fine. Better off putting the money towards a t/belt, tensioner and some fresh valve guides to protect the head and the entire engine. Feck the cam lobes as they'll be fine anyway!

6. matt d Forum Member

I agree with Gary here.
    Ians car shows what's available from a valver but it has been a bit of a development car for TSR and has spent a lot of time on the rollers.
    I'm struggling to get 200bhp with throttle bodies (it will happen though [:D] )

7. flusted Forum Member

Surely this means your tappets have only done 5k anyway.
    Id just fit the cams as the chain should be new also

8. daviddd Forum Member

9. Peter Forum Member

Cheers Fellas once weve got it stripped own for the cams well give everything the once over it looks like new TBH I wouldnt expect much wear with such low miles but Ill double check with my mechanic to make sure.

They are very impressive figures Ian it must go very well :thumbup: if you dont mind me asking is that with standard K Jet or is it running a K- Star or something similar? its just that reading around that Ive heard about problems with pinking with tuned 2.0 16 valves particularly when hot which has got me a little concerned altough I only use Optimax which I have heard helps, I read one of duffs posts about KE which seemed an excellent soloution but Id be a little scared of the wiring TBH.

Pete

10. matt d Forum Member

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I would stay on KR cams.....

I overlaid a lot of more powerful graphs over mine when at stealth... and the peak BHP and Torque figures don't make a quick car - not even the most powerful means they are fast.

12. ianb Forum Member

Pete

My car runs on K jet but no K-Star.

The time taken in all fairness is getting the fuelling
    sufficient using the stock system which can be done

TSR spent alot of time on their race cars finding out where the gains are to be had and for someone who is running to a very tight budget good results can be gained on normal K jet.

Throttle Bodies don't seem to benefit in huge terms against K Jet unless you run a bigger spec i.e. Big Valves 304 cams etc from what I've seen and then the budget goes out of the window.

As for Pinking my car happily on 95 even in the summer although sometimes it will pink on initial pick up but not under full load.

As for my car as an added benefit for the fuelling I put a new set of injectors and managed to find a new metering head from AmD a couple of years ago.

As for Peak Power and Torque Tubs a good Torque spread is much better for Road use and benefits those low speed corners on track.

182 and 150lbs :lol:

13. daviddd Forum Member

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

You seem to be getting a little childish in your old age Ian.... :lol:

15. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Tubs,
    Can you post up a full description of your day at Stealth before your ring trip, i know the final results, but just interested how you finally got to them. Did'nt you have some schricks like Gary to try?

IV.

16. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I had some Schrick 268's but these where removed on Vince's advice. They where replaced with twin zorst cams.

We ran the twin zorsts and had lots of problems with them.. they wouldn't run close to right and made pretty apauling power.

Final setup was a set of KR cams (Vinces advice again) and that made the final 150/182 figures - although it's still not 100% right as i'm having issues with the Dizzy and getting the right timing adjustment.

I was still in 2 minds that the Schricks may have ran a better figure, so quizzed Vince.

He then pulled up various runs from other cammed up/flowed head cars.
    He had:
    My car with KR's
    GVK standard
    Schrick 268's
    Schrick 276's
    Schrick 260/268
    Schrick 268/276

Mine on the KR setup made a better figure (power and torque) throughout the entire rev range (by quite a margin) until it peaked and dies at about 7000. It was only then that any of the cammed cars made better figures -- thats where they made the big headline figures. But Vince pointed out that when they change gear from over 7k, they drop right out of any kind of power.. wheras i can change at 6500 and still land square into my power and torque curve.

17. matt d Forum Member

Oh no Craig, Ian's going to be after you now :lol:

18. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

He'll need his lue lights to give him half a chance! [:@)]

:lol: :lol:

Only having a laugh ;)
    Edited by: Tubthumped

19. ianb Forum Member

Bring it on Tubs ;)

only having a :lol:

20. ianb Forum Member

Where the graphs for overlapping ??

Didn't Vince give you a disc ??

Interested to see these big gains over the rest of us ;)