Aftermarket cams what to replace?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Peter, Aug 19, 2004.

1. seth223uk Forum Member

You cant argue with 37bhp! What about torque increase? I can see from the plots on GVKs site that the torque curve is pretty impressive even with your compression problem.

Rob how do yu find the difference in petrol drinking as you have first hand experience rather than me relying on hearsay. Is it true they use fuel quicker than you can put it in!

cheers mike

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

My old engine would do easily 30mpg on the road but on track when you get some big throttle openings, 90 miles on 9 gallons !

Its all in the mapping.

Torque was 170ftlb when new, dropped to 156ftlb after 2-3yrs abuse.

Cheers

Rob

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Velly, no harm in trying,mate [:D]

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

5. ianb Forum Member

Gary

As Isaid before th car was running since 1998 as 1.8 with a Pack A head for nearly 4 years

It was also running a Remus 2.5 inch exhaust. The diference is that it also runs the bigger inlet mnifold which was also flowed.

Th fuellng was checked when it 1.8 and it was found it needed new injectors and then a new stock metering head.

This was done as a matter of course on a routine tune up when it was found to be pinking.Having got the fuelling correct the step of converting to 2 litres was made easier. The cams work I (we) think due to the combination of bigger inlet a good (working) exhaust system and using a vernier.
    The car came with the bigger inlet therfore it wasn't added expense.
    All of our cars are evolutions of what they were originally. I think had you had the combination of exhaust vernier and bigger flowed inlet you would have been pushing 200bhp with Vinces help.
    My car is not the only one out there on exactly the same spec pushing the same figures. Graham Scotts car is actually quicker than mine with over 200bhp as well as several other TSR customer cars that have been built the owners of which don't log onto this web site proving that my car is no exception.

Ianb

6. Carbs4ever Forum Member

On a different note - a very lovely roarty roary note!

I take delivery of my Dellorto 45's on Tuesday and my car goes to the spray booth for some TLC on 20th September..... My engine gets stripped and rebuilt in the next few weeks and then the full car rebuild shall commence!

Its all startin to take shape!

I can't wait to hear my KR on the 45's!!!!!!!

Velly knows what I mean!

7. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

:lol: [:D] :lol: :clap: ;)