Any interest in a lightweight 8x15" wheel?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by 16valver, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 16valver Forum Member

I recently phoned Compomotive and have exhanged emails since re a lightweight wheel in 8x15"

The do not currently do one as the MO is the lightest at the best part of 9 kilos. Also, with the demise of the ATS DTC, I cannot see another contender to fill the void, hence there may be nothing in the market that is currently available new - if there is actually a market for this type of wheel at all...

Does anyone actually want a light wheel in 8x15 4x100 fitment? Just me??

Compomotive have replied ststing that they MAY consider production, if there was indeed a market for such a wheel, hence this post.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Ali

2. Dogwood Forum Member

I need at least four more rims, ET25. If I can't find any DTC's, i'd be interested for sure Ali.

3. 16valver Forum Member

I am after ET25 too.

I have found another possible from the states which weighs in at around 6kgs for the 8J but is ET20. It is a one piece wheel like the DTC and does actually look quite nice. Around 100 dollars per wheel.

I am pushing it at ET25 with the 8J with my arches already so reluctant to lose that extra 5mm with an ET20 but might give them a go anyway.

I cant load a pic as BP block everything on their computers but will be getting in touch with them tomorrow so will hopefully have something to report back.

4. 16valver Forum Member

Thanks for the interest Nick.

Anyone else, just post and let me know and I can pass it on to Compomotive.

5. G60RCaol Forum Member

I'd be interested, preferably even lighter than they said they can go on the Mo's though. I wonder what they could get them down to safely when not aimed at gravel track rallying?

6. Dogwood Forum Member

E-mailed ATS tonight and got a quick response. It sounds like there are still unmachined DTC's in stock that are available to special order through ATS motorsport. There is a minimum quantity per size. I'm waiting for another reply on min quantity, price and who to contact. I'll keep you posted.

7. 16valver Forum Member

Great :thumbup:

Let me know whwn you hear back as I have a contact that has been supplying the Fiesta ST's with DTC's and now does not have a replacement - so could help with making up a min quantity to get them done.

8. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The only other light wheel I know in that size is the Rota Slipstream at 8x15 et20 6.9kgs. But none of the UK importers seem to be able to get them.

[​IMG]

Ali, what does the wheel you have seen in the states look like?

Gurds

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yep :thumbup:.

Gurds

10. 16valver Forum Member

This is it here - Can you host the pic?

http://peakracer.com/media/catalog/...da06f020e43594a9c230972d/t/r/trm_c1_wheel.jpg

That one is obviously 5 stud but it is the same wheel. 7x15 & 8x15 offered. 8J is about 6kgs iirc - ET20.

Trying to find the thread on Vortex but stuggling. Will have another look when I am finished work.

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thanks Ali,

That looks nice.

[​IMG]

Gurds

12. 16valver Forum Member

Yeah, think it looks good. I have seen a pic of them on a scirocco in 7J which looked ok but I hope they will be nicer in 8J.

Forgot to add - good clearance for big brakes with those wheels too - aparantly! Will find out exactly how much.

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The 8j does look better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gurds

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Do you really need an 8" rim on a Mk1, and will you get tyres to fit?

15. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

On my mk1, probably a no go on standard arches as the widetrack reduces the outer limit. Ali has berg arches so should be ok.

Only thing about running wheels 8j wide is that it will require some extra king pin inclination and crap loads more castor to make the setup work properly. Power steering anyone?

Gurds

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I would be interested in some 8x15's 4x100 also - ET35 and ET25 - let me know if you get any joy out of ATS nick

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I am guessing 16valver is going there for outright grip on a higher power application.

Good info on KPI. Tried and tested :thumbup:

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was thinking that they're heavier, will cause more drag, increase unsprung weight, and increase bump steer, as the centre line of the wheel will be outside the king-pin axis.

Not sure what tyres you'd get to fit either.

19. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

May also be interested in a set of lightweight 8x15s, although it won't be for some time.

Those ones from the states look okay, but I'm always wary of these imitation alloys from the states, heard some horror stories about them breaking very easily on track. Just do a search on Rota wheels and trackdays and there will be loads of storys of the spokes snapping causing the whole wheel to break free.

A lighter set of MOs I'd be very interested in.

20. 16valver Forum Member

There are downsides as you have listed but for me, grip will be a problem before they will. I will be using Avon slicks and they do a tyre that will fit an 8J nicely.

My arches also have a bit more clearance though not as much as the arches on the Reeves mk1, or Pol's.