Any interest in a lightweight 8x15" wheel?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by 16valver, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Dogwood Forum Member

Ali, your inbox is full now!

2. 16valver Forum Member

:lol:

Now cleared!

3. jettadan Forum Member

What size tyre will you be using on an 8x15 rim?

I've been using 185/55 tyres on a 7x15 ET25 rim, and want to use a wider tyre, but also with a smaller sidewall to reduce flex. 205/50's seem to have a much larger diameter and cause clearance problems (in Colway varients anyway), but have seen some Michelins which seem to fit the bill better.

The above combo nearly catches on my coilovers so have had to use spacers, but would prefer to run without spacers, so at a guess if I was going for a 8j rim, i'd need to drop the et by a few mill so they don't catch.

What i really want is a set of HTN's ...........

4. 16valver Forum Member

I was thinking of running a 205/580/R15 Avon radial slick. They do their sizing differently but that means a section width of 218mm and an actual tread of 208mm.

I think that should be about right for an 8" wide wheel.

Those Colways must be pretty chunky as thought you would have no problems with a 7" in that offset.

5. jettadan Forum Member

The 205/50's are definately chunky and are taller than the 185/55's - the main reason i have problems is down to the GAZ coilovers and the position of the adjuster knob and the bottom spring plate, which is right next to the tyre.

I've seen some Michelins with the metric type sizes, which seemed to have a reasonable sidewall and width, which i need to look into.

I think i'll wait till i've got arches on and then do some measuring to decide what i really need.

6. 16valver Forum Member

Today I learned that the ATS DTC is very light and looks very good, but it also has heaps more brake clearance than a Compomotive TH - both in 15"...

...unfortunately, it still does not have enough brake clearance for my brakes, so will have to re think that one!

7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

What about OZ Super leggaras.

Ive used them for years with no problems 8x17 running a 235 Dunlop Slick. I picked up a few sets second hand for peanuts, 50 per rim on ebay and if you do bend one just bin it.

[​IMG]

8. 16valver Forum Member

Always liked the superleggeras but they dont do a 15" in an 8 unfortunately [:^(]

Think I am going for the DTC and going to slightly smaller brakes.

Thought about it a bit yesterday and think I will get more benefit overall from the savings and handling benefits of running a ligher wheel, rather than having to go to a 16" just to clear bigger brakes that are ott for a 10 lap race anyway!

9. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

I am also after a set of 8 x 15 and was alittle worried when i read at the start of the thread that ATS where not doing the DTC's any more!

Did you buy any DTC's in the end Ali?

Dogwood was that price including any tax?

Can they do other ET's as well??

10. 16valver Forum Member

Dogwood is on the case Charlie. I think he is probably just waiting to hear back from ATS at the moment.

Not sure, they might well be able to as, AFAIK, they are machining these from blanks.

Dogwood kindly sent me up one of his 8x15" ET25's and it was a perfect fit in the arch. Guessing ET5(!) 'ish would be right for your big berg arches?

I took a few pics on my phone so will post them in my thread...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  11. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

Hello Ali

Cheers for that buddy!

I'll look forward to hearing back from Dogwood then!

12. Chaps Forum Member

For your info - Rays Engineering (japan) make the Volk TE37V alloy - weighing in at 5.1kgs
    PCD is 100x4, ET25 in a 15" x 8" . they also do a ET0 offset for those with big arches. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Try finding a set in the UK and you'll be a luck and very envied man! The price from Japan is 54,000Yen (i think its per wheel too) = 395.00 but i cant be sure as my Japanese is shocking!! [:^(]

13. 16valver Forum Member

I did look for these but tbh, the few images I found of these in 15" all looked a bit rubbish! They look stunning in the larger sizes though.

Also, 400 per wheel is a bit excessive!

14. danster Forum Addict

Has anyone looked at Team Dynamics Motorsport wheels?
    They do the control rim for the Minis up here in Scotland. The rims look pretty good and were also fairly light and not too expensive from what I remember. Think the Mini ones are 7J x 15 but they did do other sizes and offsets.
    They must also be fairly strong as those fat little Minis using the curbs do not seem to incur any breakages.

15. 16valver Forum Member

I think they definately look like a good choice of wheel - light and afaik, good brake clearance.

Like you say though, 7x15" and dont seem to do anything in an 8 (last time I checked anyway!)

The Minis do like the curbs! Was thinking of looking to renting a drive in one of those or the Fiesta ST's if my car is not done in time - they are just so nuts though, afraid of any damage I might incur though!

16. danster Forum Addict

I know you want an 8" rim to fill the arches on your car, but the tyre width that will require is not needed on a wee mk1. A 7" rim and widetrack would be a better plan IMO.
    We have the technology to do this in my shed!
    The Fiesta STs use an ATS wheel in 15" with either slicks or wets. They are am extremely light wheel / tyre combo. They must be strong aswell as the STs are a fair weight and use the kerbs too with no damage. Not alot quicker than an XR2 for an awful lot more money though.
    Ask the Wilson brothers who have experience of heavy rolls in STs and correspondingly light wallets!

Your golf with its old 16v engine would be quicker than an ST anyway.:thumbup:

17. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

You've not read his thread then ;) Old 16v engine.........................

18. danster Forum Addict

I have periodically over the years mulled through his thread.;)

If a properly setup lightweight mk1 with 150bhp cannot hump a fat ST with 150bhp the laws of physics must have altered.[:s]

19. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Wrong thread then, he's going 20vt ;)
    Come on, keep upto date mun

20. danster Forum Addict

I know he is going to that modern turbo pish now but his car would have been ok as it was with a 16v in the mod saloons.
    Not sure how a 300 / 350 bhp 2wd mk1 Golf is ever going to get near a 800bhp 4wd pretty much full on rallycross Focus which is in the same class now.
    Maybe the 8" rims will make the difference.
    Better sticking an 8v in it and going out in the classics. Or finding an earlier vw prototype engine and changing his user name to "Sidevalver" and going out in the historics!
    Ali has used up half the internet with his build thread so far. I was cycling around on a BMX in shorts when he started it by the way.;)

Back on topic I am sure you can get 8 x 15 team dynamics rims. I will phone a friend and see what can be sourced.