Any interest in a lightweight 8x15" wheel?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by 16valver, Feb 15, 2010.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

You sure? bump steer has nothing to do with wheel sizes.

I've been using 16x8's on the front of my ibiza for a while now and it handles pretty well. The main issue for choosing wheels is deciding first what tyre you are going to use, then buying the cheapest / lightest / available option.

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

how much would a set of RM's weigh?

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

A standard VW RM (6.5x15 et 33) is supposed to come in at 6.8kgs and the VW fitment RS (7x15 et37?) is supposed to come in at 6.0kgs. Pretty light really.

Gurds

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Enkei now also offer an 8x15 et35 wheel weighing in at 12.8lbs (5.8kgs) each.

http://www.enkei.com/pf01.html

[​IMG]

Not cheap at over $200 per wheel and the inevitable shipping & duty.

Gurds

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

ooh their nice.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not directly, but if the centreline of the wheel is outside the king pin axis (more likely with a wider rim, unless you've made more room under the arches) then it'll tend to bump steer in the direction of the wheel that hits the bump.

7. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Another one to consider/chase up?

[​IMG]

Revolution Millenium wheel. Revolution website, doens't have anymore detail other than the size. They are a rally wheel so probably won't be mega lightweight.

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I've checked these out - not light - like an MO

9. 16valver Forum Member

Mmmm. They look pretty.

Will be a ball hair from my coilovers in ET35 though. They look that nice, I may just have to run a spacer :lol:

10. 16valver Forum Member

I think I have found a winner - thanks Gurds for putting me on to this!

[​IMG]

RC-G4

Not availlable off the shelf in 15" but according to their site, they will do some to order.

They list this as a comprtition wheel, so if those PF01's were just nudging under the 6kg mark, hoping these are even lighter. Phoning them tomorrow.

I just hope the 'G' does not stand for gravel. I found them after seeing their RC-T4 advertised and put that into google images along with 15" and got this.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Now those are gorgeous! :thumbup:

But they don't look light and I think you might be right about gravel spec. Unless they come in Mg.

Gurds

12. 16valver Forum Member

Gurds, just back onshore now and just seen the pic on the civic of those TR wheels. They look like they have bags of brake clearance.

Also, that Enkei PF01 aparantly clears pretty much every BBK. Heaps of room.

I need 47mm from the back of the wheel mounting face/disc face to back of spokes and all of these look like they could clear.

13. 16valver Forum Member

I would agree, dont look as light as the ones you posted. Sods law they wont be as light as those PF01's you posted but I think they would suit the MK1 better.

This is the RC-T4 that they have on their site which they say can be done in 15"...

[​IMG]

..which prompted the search and thew up those white ones above. They would be light, bit I think the white ones might be a different (rally) design.

14. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

The RC-T4 are used in the WTCC so will no doubt be light. Going by the names, RC-T4 and RC-G4, I'd hazard a guess that the T means track and the G means gravel, so will probably only be 7" wide maximum and not that light.

It's a pity magnesium doesn't seem to be used as much these days, my old magnesium Compo THs are only 5kg each (although only 6.5" wide) but strong enough for rallying.

15. Ess Three Forum Member

The Enkei wheels tend to be very light, but not overly strong:
    [​IMG]

The Honda/Enkei wheels were 12lbs / 5.5 Kg for a 6" x 15" and 16 lbs / 7.3 Kg for a 7" x 16".

I ran both sizes on the track for years and had no issues with buckling when kerb hopping, and they had a good amount of clearance on the back of the spokes...they just weren't too strong on a heavy impact - but, I don't suppose they were meant to be.

Certainly, 2 years worth of track abuse, wets, and full slicks, bouncing kerbs gave the Enkei's no problems...so they'd seem fine for what you need Ali.

16. 16valver Forum Member

Remember that pic!

Your wheel did that as a result of a heavy impact, which I would expect most lightweight wheels to do. Sure, if you were rallying, you would want an MO type wheel, but as you say, that should not be a problem for my application.

Just a bugger now as the Enkei PF01 Gurds posted up is ET35 and the TR one a posted is ET20 - both just out of the sweet spot [:x]

I am thinking about going for a set of each - I still have a bit I can cut from the arches to accomodate the TR wheel and could run a spacer with the Enkei. At least I am hedging my bets by going for two different options.

The other option is an Image 3 piece wheel that they will make to my specs and they said they can give me the clearance I need for brakes. Shame they are a bit on the expensive side [:^(]

17. Dogwood Forum Member

ATS have come back. The price is 149 euros per rim plus shipping, lead time is 6-7 weeks and payment is required in advance.

I'm going to order some 8x15 ET25, 4x100PCD.

Some of those Enkei wheels look nice, but i've already got ATS's, so i'm just gonna stick with 'em.

If anyone else wants some, let me know.

18. vdubferret Forum Member

Am going back to basics of thread & saying yes I want some light 8x15 too. Keep the info incoming!

19. 16valver Forum Member

Nick, Your inbox is full, pm waiting. Ta

20. Dogwood Forum Member

Ali, pm away.