audi s4. had one?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Matt82, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

2. Admin Guest

the v6 2.6 quattro was mid 20's

3. coullstar Forum Member

Twin turbo V6 4wd, cant be that bad. Im pretty sure I heard something about turbo issues with these. Dont think it would be boring. If I was going for an S4 it would be the first of the V8's.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ide have one, great interior and v fast. only ever been in a new RS4 Convertable and that was just silly fast

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

Local guy owns a mildly tuned RS4 in that shape who stopped to have a chat about my mk2. His RS4 caught my eye and i said to him 'bet she drinks' and in fact he said his commute to work on the motorway sitting easy at 70mph get's him between 30-32mpg.

Otherwise he said drop the loud pedal and try not to think about MPG. There again his with some tuning and turbo upgrads was kicking about 500hp+ as done by MRC.

I looked at these for a giggle as prices have dropped, quick stage 1 remap was around 315hp and 360lb/ft torque

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  6. Admin Guest

I submit this statement to the court

[​IMG]

;)[:D]

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i know what you mean dave... ive been mulling over the "fun vs civilised" equation in my head for days. i think im genuinely fed up with fiddling with cars and i really dont want overt. even a standard e36 m3 is overt compared to an S4

as for the rs4 and 30mpg, thats impressive. i think these run with gayer ko3 turbos, so we know how gains can be had by putting somtehing properly sized on there

8. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

yeah, but you have to be like under 5'10" to fit in one...

mates brother has just bought a evo with 360bhp, got it sideways in his driveway [:s] [:D]:lol:

9. Admin Guest

Matt - Yup, agreed. An S4 is unassuming but yet its still going to be fast and reasonably capable.

It'll take less work to maintain than a Mk3 if you buy a decent one as it'll be newer.

It sounds like a reasonable plan to me...

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

up until a fortnight the mk3 has been a servicing only affair for a long time but i got into the car after work yesterday, it has no aircon (even my gf's pansy fiesta has aircon) and with its hard suspension its as comfortable as an electric chair. i think im past that sort of stuff now

im looking at one way up north this weekend. should be interesting to see how they drive. by now id expect bushes and dampers are shagged, but this one has had suspension work so dampers could be fairly new

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive found one that i really fancy

here is a video of one with a nearly identical spec, going right off its 160mph clock

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5upseIm77vY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5upseIm77vY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

12. Collie Forum Junkie

I would have thought an s4 of that age will take just as much tlc if not more than your car. And probably cost more into the bargain.

13. Admin Guest

My 98 Audi certainly cost more to run than my 94 M3...

14. Nav16v Paid Member Paid Member

I've been looking at these for a while and have been doing some research on them. If a turbo blows you have to take the engine out to replace them. But if that doesn't bother you then just buy it. It's a great package at a good price.

15. azur Forum Member

I was looking into s4's matt. They flippin quick and fairly easy to get big bhp.
    read lots of horror stories though, especially with the turbos failing like the fella before said.. big job.

The guy from my local tuning shop has an s4 avant... he's always bloody moaning about the running costs

They look like a bargain at under 5k, but it would haved doubled my insurance premium and petrol and maintainance costs.... worked it out to be another 1500-2000 a year than i am paying now.

decided to spend 1k getting mine set for another 50 thousand miles and save the money for when I can buy a real nice car

Still if you find a good deal there is no harm having try for a few months and flog it to get your money back if your not keen.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine requires almost no tlc, but i wont be tweaking and changing an s4 if i get one, meaning it should be less of a ball ache than the golf

ive found one that has had new turbos recently

if they pop ill just put bigger ones in

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

18. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

My mates selling one. It's the one that was in The Golf magazine getting the vinyl wrap. it's a metallic grey car with a full white wrap (removeable)

black leather

satin black 19" BBS CH's (real ones)
    ATE 4 pot brakes
    Milltek
    MRC tuning remap
    370bhp
    KW's

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bet its loadsa money though

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

with a service and 2 new tyres.