badgerwagen-2008 rebuild commenced - Seat Ibiza Racecar - runs!

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by badger5, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

maybe somewhere with those hub dynos. cant wheelspin then, worst it can do would be if the car backflipped or something :lol:

2. micky1 Forum Member

Good to see you guys yesterday.

Neat set up and some nice builds going on......

3. leontdi Forum Member

cool writeup i not been to combe in a or seen this one on track but 533 from a 1.8t ,impressive.

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

as far as we can tell that was the power @ 7krpm when the rollers stopped measuring..
    revs to 9k

5. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

Can't wait to see you back racing @ Combe, i'll introduce myself if I see you in the paddock.

6. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Sounds like it's going to be savage! I hope your gearbox is strong, what do you run in that?

7. badger5

looks like my diff bearings have already gone slack, and its only seen about 300 road miles and the dyno so far.. Got some 'clonking' going on on take up of drive that I dont remember.

who was it on here who did g'boxes in S.Wales area?

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hotgolf, though he's not on CGTI atm. Trev16v has his number.

9. badger5

badgerwagen had its mot saturday, passed fine.. now road legal again.
    initial drive (this was its first road drive since build) was nerve wrecking.

1st gear is like 2nd, so pulling away is hard on the clutch. got a dead patch on lean fueling just on light throttle cruising (typically) which I need to fix.. as it bucks about there which aint plesent. The car feels *tight*

Apply throttle gingerly and as it approaches 4k it changes nature to animal.. power pours in rapidly, and bang shift lights all of a sudden... change gear, bang, shift lights, change gear same thing..... back off and think holy hell! Spool is better than previous turbo surprisingly.. 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th in rapid succession all spin up on full throttle. 6th engaged at a lower rpm (3k) and full throttle applied to see what happened on spool.. urgency is gathering rapidly at 4krpm and by mid 4k its WHAP, spin.

All this is in the dry.

going to take some taming down into a tractable level, so my boost control project will be employed asap.

the end of the day did'nt end so well tho, as a quick road test by my friend who helps me build, resulted in a bonnet flying up and smashing the windscreen, the roof and itself, rippin gout the bonnet lifters, snapping their bolts as the bonnet pins were'nt checked before it was taken up the road.. I could have cried.. mint one minute, then it looked like an elephant has sat on the bonnet the next. gutted

poor badgerwagen looking bonnet-less and dented roof now.

oh bugger!

10. Natedogg Forum Member

****. thats a major shame. shell was always so good on this mate. dare i ask - pics?

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

oh christ. im amazed youre that calm about it

12. micky1 Forum Member

Nows your chance to go all scene and find a rusty one!

13. badger5

Calm yea.. what else can I do. My mate who it happened to was shaken up badly..
    Its dawning on me the day after how much work its going to take to repair, and I dont have time for this at all.. new bonnet ordered today. I did start to trip the stiffener out of my old spare ibiza's bonnet but it was rusty on the whole front edge.. that and the fact I was stupidly using a screw driver to lever off the stiffener whilst using the heatgun, I turned the bonnet over and left witness dents from every lever moment.. Scrapped that one then.. :doh:
    stupid boy!

what can i do.

14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Ive had this happen Bill on my MK1, it was not nice. Feel for ya

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Bad times. Send it to a bodyshop and get it fixed asap. Not the image you want to be seeing for long.

16. madmonkey Forum Addict

I feel for you too, had it happen on a MK2 rocco GTX, on it's first *wonder what it'll do* trip down the m-way. (90mph in the fast lane isn't good for the undercrackers)

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Thats bad luck Bill - at least your m8 is ok and no-one got hurt, could have been much worse - like Chris said, get if fixed asap and move forwards

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Deffo get it done by someone bill like said before it drags you down & it could have been far worse with you friend or car totaled.

19. badger5

yep, its sobering it could have been a total if he had lost control etc etc etc,.,, does'nt bare thinking about. thank **** he's a good driver.

new bonnet arrives today

20. Ess Three Forum Member

Soul destroying news Bill.
    Keep your chin up though...try to see the positive side (could have been much worse).
    Good luck.