badgerwagen-2008 rebuild commenced - Seat Ibiza Racecar - runs!

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by badger5, Dec 30, 2007.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

this is what shape your radiator can turn when the headgasket blows and the water jeckets see cylinder pressures!

wow!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and when it does this it makes a local fog out of the exhaust
    [​IMG]

2. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

wow thats impressive Bill!!!

Hope the motor isnt too screwed

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thats amazing... id have thought a hose would have popped off before that sort of damage happened

is that an oe rad or some custom jobbie?

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

So the twin intercooler system didnt last long then :lol: :lol: :lol:

hope there's no engine damage :thumbup:

5. badger5

head comes off tonight for a look see.
    surprised myself on hoses not popping, but radiator doing that... still use OE radiator and expansion bottle and cap.. but they did'nt look to have blown. Maybe the event was so sudden when the gasket failed, and me lifting off as soon as I felt the *cough/splutter*

Been doing some reading and its likely 15bar cylinder pressures or more are in there. I know I was running a lot of timing (no det) but perhaps some extreme cylinder pressure for an incorrectly sized headgasket to try and seal.

The car has run since built by elton in 2005, a stock headgasket which has bore size of 82.5mm. My motor is 83mm bore, so there has always been an overhang. Less seal face than there should be on the fire ring aspect of the headgasket, and the increased load on the engine from its new turbo/management setup, on an old engine may have all added to the 'woops'

who knows.
    hoping its not internally damaged or cracked and the gasket is all thats let go.

Water is everywhere in the inlet manifold having blow back out, and some in the intercooler outlet.. and pipe to the servo etc..

The rad looks so freaky to me its bizarre.. makes me shudder looking at it

6. gillm

gillm ***** User

wow thats a cool rad

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

flippin heck - you would think a pipe would come off first but there you go

8. badger5

Heads off.. and its not a pretty sight.. been a few things going on inside..

firstly it is confirmed 100% head gasket failure is what happened.
    [​IMG]

But it has also melted the cylinder head in that blown location on #1 cylinder end.
    [​IMG]

When cylinder pressure meet water jacket this is what happens
    [​IMG]
    compared to what it should look like (new one)
    [​IMG]

Now the other stuff..
    all bar one plug on No1 are missing various degrees of the ceramic insulators!
    the pistons and cyl head showing impact damage accorindgly!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No1 perfect, as is its plug ceramic
    [​IMG]

No signs of det, but impact from plug ceramic debris

No4 piston impact damage, plug on this one is missing the most cdramic
    [​IMG]

No3 no ceramic on plug visible
    [​IMG]

No4 most missing from plug ceramic
    [​IMG]

No1 ceramic on plug intact
    [​IMG]

:cry:

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

to burst it would be very extreme, but id have thought blowing the hose off the rad would be plausible :lol:

crazy pressures must have been involved.

whats your diagnosis on the cause? if the gasket was breached at 1, would that cause the melting of the head and spark plug damage?

10. badger5

I think different things going on.. plug failures not being attributable to the headgasket I dont think.

none of the raceware head studs were very tight to undo.. so these have either relaxed over time, or been stressed by the very high cylinder pressures to stretch them somehow, relaxing the clamping pressure on the gasket.

the gasket has always overhung the bore 0.5mm on diameter which is not good. its has been suggested to me that maybe the overhung bit could have been glowing red hot and burnt back resulting in the flame path which did go suddenly, melting the aluminium head in the process on that leak path.

Spoken with Denso earlier, and descriptions have been thought to be too hot for this plug grade (IK22) which may have caused the over expansion of the inner electrode to break the ceramic which has fallen out. Denso are sending me a form to fill in with tech spec of my engine to reccomend a plug grade. IK22s have been fine for many folk, and myself for years, but I do accept I am in a different league of power these days, so maybe outgrown them unknowingly. OR it could be a cop out for some fauity plugs and I am unlucky (as usual)

As an example from a respected vag engine builder/tuner, he has logged cylinder pressures on one of his built motors, and when it was running on C16/115octane fuel, he ran 26degrees of advance at similar boost pressures and recorded 2700psi cylinder pressure, and when dialing in30degrees of timing, the pressure sensor broke in excess of 3000psi.. way way high from only 4 additional degrees of ign timing in this example. my motor was running 33 degrees almost everywhere apart from the very top end where it was backed down to 28 degrees. My fuel on the day was boggo VPower 99octane. Remember no signs of det, so we presumed that was a good measure of ign advance limits..... I now ask myself if this is actually the case any more. I know I wont be running more than 26degrees at peak torque load sites on its rebuilt motor given this new information and personal experience.

all learning... no racing for me for 2009 tho now.. I have withdrawn from the c'ship @ Combe, as I have no time to fix the car and test it with other business commitments.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i thought ik22s were what all the 20vt audi boys want in their standard remapped engine because its one grade colder

[​IMG]

ik22 is only about 1 grade colder than stadnard and youre making.... hundreds of bhp over standard

12. badger5

on the plug failure yea, likely its too hot a grade of plug and has overheated
    maybe IK27's better suited... but I wil see what Denso send me on the form so I can confirm the spec of the engine and let them advise me.
    I used IK22 as I have for years now. I was expecting a misfire or something, but I will from now on always spin out plugs after a session to check condition.

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have bosch platinum grade 5s in my golf, recommended by gsf's parts list. too cold for my engine so come out all sooty. theyre the bosch equivalent heat grade to the ik22s.

in theory, though, with a colder grade plug in your car, it would be transferring more heat away from the combustion chamber causing more grief for the gasket n things?

14. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Worth fitting compression sealing rings in the head? Or are they not suitable with the steel gaskets

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

16. badger5

New JE's design verses my old ones... why such a different design from JE I wonder? (different CR on these I know)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

turbo turbine has copped it as feared.. just gets better and better. bits of plug ceramic had to go some where.... feck!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes: :banghead:

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

blimey - gutted for you also - new head and pistons at the min - when you are pushing the boundaries of the engine, I guess some of this is to be expected but a bit of luck now and again wouldn't go amiss would it.......

edit: new head, pistons and turbo......bum

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  18. badger5

cheers for that mike i had missed that.. it sounds mas as it flys by, lol - bills tyre buffing service :lol: :thumbup:

19. badger5

pistons will be used again once cleaned up.. just comparing my new ones for new motor vs the olduns seeing they're out for checking. aside from the impact damage they seem ok, minimal wear, rods and bearings remarkably good.. just checking everything just in case., turbo damage was expected but i was in denial... more $$$ to repair.

IK22's aint up to it. IK27's maybe..

live and learn

thinking.. 83mm bore, >3000psi cylinder pressures.. is 25,133lb force on the pistons,rods, cylinder head etc
    11.22 tons! holy moly

sobering thought is'nt it

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

crikes! its a wonder it holds together at all