badgerwagen-2008 rebuild commenced - Seat Ibiza Racecar - runs!

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by badger5, Dec 30, 2007.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Just thank Guy "geezer" for uploading it :thumbup:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silly Q but was the head an expensive item Bill?

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

yea it cost enough for me to want to preserve it..

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Just out of interest would it be repairable? & if so how would you normally go about doing it?

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think youd said the valve train was pretty special, that should be salvagable, the rest looks pretty fubar. that turbo is messy...

*insert something really encouraging*

5. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

gutting bill....but it was flying past guy lol

6. badger5

firstly strip it down and then clean it up throughly..
    then likely heat it in an oven and TIG weld the damaged areas, and remachine back, reface head etc..

until the valves are removed I dont know what other damage from the plug porcelines have have done to the seats. the turbines copped it and now scrap so god knows what I will next find.

[:s]

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

remember when you blew the center electrode out of the jetta? you dont seem to have much luck with plugs

8. badger5

I had forgotten that but yea.. engine buzz the previous weekend when gear mech came apart @ Mallory as I recall, and at Donny it popped the centre electrode off, and when I took them all out, 3 out of 4 had one or more missing electrodes (3 prongs down to 2 or 1)

9. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Bill

Sorry to see the Engine fail .

20VPolo told me about it Yesterday

just on the Plugs side of things and going back to our discussion 3 months ago NGK Iridium BKR8EIX No 8's i thought were better suited to your engine and they would have not failed like the Denso IK22's.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  10. badger5

NGK themselves came back to me advising :-

11. badger5

you are spot on the grade though :thumbup:

12. badger5

I have been having some interesting exchanges of information with both Denso and NGK, as Denso finally came back to me recommending a plug which is a semi-surface discharge type plug, where NGK advised normal J type electrode plugs of coler grade.

I know when we tune these cars, we are pretty much all using det as a measurement of limit of ign/boost etc, and then wind back a bit from that point (if its making power)

thing is.. mine has not had det, and no1 cyl is mint, and its plug ceramic is intact. No2,3,4 all have varying amounts of ceramic missing from cracked overheat etc, and subsequent impact damage from debris.
    The head gasket failure may have been too much cylinder pressure, from my high boost but more so from the high ignition advance. (33 degrees).

question is Det was the means of knowing when you have edged towards the limit from where you back off... but in the case here, there was'nt det, but cylinder pressures are likely to have exceeded 3000psi

from the thread on the 8v s'charger, there good comment about MBT etc, but I rarely, if ever see any reference to cylinder pressures, which are a direct consequence of timing & boost, fuel grades etc..

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

have you thought about the ceramic treated manifold and its effect on the heat stored in the head? (i think it may have lead to the head being a lot hotter) the head was obviously hot, one end started to melt

as for det, in theory a super heated spark plug would have been an ideal point for pre ignition to occur, but with yours running an amazing amount of fuel (wasnt it about 1200cc worth of fuel injectors) maybe that curbed the pre ingition?

these are just the thoughts that have gone through my head, it could be all utter guff

14. badger5

heat is not stored in the head. its passes out in the gasflow... ceramic coating of the manifold & downpipe only helps to reduce temps at head and in the engine bay.. engine temps per say were fine. 90'C, 113'C oil, EGT's high 800's

it is capable of 1580cc fuel per cylinder, but its AFR is what sets how much of that capacity is actually used.. it would not even run if they were running at full duty cycle.. (it latched them open on the dyno in fact and the engine died mid full-bore run I now remember - hmmm rapid quench of the poor plugs at that moment I bet!)

It only slightly det on the det cans over 7krpm on the 33 degrees, and was brought back to 28degrees on the last 2 load columns >7krpm the mid range is the issue I think as thats sat flat on 33 degrees... and we could not hold the car steady state as its just smoked up the tyres. >400lbft

15. Monkian Forum Member

The Denso plugs have a bad reputation for loosing their tips , you only have to do a quick google to get a grip on the issue , Personally I'd get rid of them ASAP and change to different brand for the sake of 35 plugs.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

IIRC the WRC Subarus had Denso stickers on them.

Assuming Denso plugs used (any way of checking?) surely they're up to it?

17. TrackCab16v Forum Member

sorry to hear about this one bill, did see you being towed in to the paddock, didnt realize how bad things turned out . good luck for the rebuild , and i was winging about a broken inner cv, still managed to use up my track time though, do you miss the old valver days at all .

18. badger5

Denso's do seem to have a ****e rep in top notch power motors, drag racers wont use them..

NGK's ready here to put in on the rebuild.

19. 16valver Forum Member

Any more progress on the Ibiza or Polo Bill?

20. badger5

polo's coming on slowly..

not had time to update the thread much.. reassembly and the fiddly little bits now.
    lots of time being put into heat management on it given the power its going to produce in such a small engine bay.

ibiza's sat gathering dust
    new cylinder head is ready for shipping to me next week, just ordered a new cam chain as I think mine has stretched given the marks on the old head, then when i ever get a minute I will quickly hone the bores and drop in the freshly remachined JE's that were in there. 98% recovered the pistons I think to as new.