best engine for high power/weight ratio? AKA Ben's Cab

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ambrose89, Jun 1, 2007.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

I'm sure he said in an interview that when it was at it's highest it was very unreliable...

edit: highline you said "it should do" does this mean it isn't finished or hasn't been on a rolling road yet? just wondering that's all.

2. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

is this the one you are now selling ?

3. HIGHLINE Forum Member

Sort my boost out ?????

My car has no lsd and with 400+bhp its no good on a track and on a dragstrip it has aircon and full leather trim its no light wieght racer it was built with one thing in mind !

My friend has an evo 8 thats 400bhp owes him about 50k thinks it the fastest thing in the world so i had to show him !!!!!!!!!!!

Another friend has an astra gsi all done by REGAL 2nd most powerful in the country that owes him about 50k !

Just had to show them that you can build a fast car on a budget and i have !

But dont worry any track days or sprints that come up let me know and ill come if ive got the money my car gets used hard its not been built to sit in a garage and go to a show now and again !;)

4. HIGHLINE Forum Member

No its been on a dyno its 407bhp at 1.3bar but my plugleads where breaking down so could not up the boost oh its 407ftlb of torque ;)

5. HIGHLINE Forum Member

Maybe might buy a syncro mk3 yet and do that 500bhp and 4x4

6. prof Forum Addict

Ian i'm guessing you are working on a range rover/Jag V8, in that case with all the enviro regs, and reliability/warranty issues, then it would be hard to get similar figures to these backyard tuners who don't comply with any regs at all.

Iteresting to see the results of some of the remapping work on the Rangers......some questionable retuning by some.....

7. mk1steve Forum Member

thats fair enough but i have his own flyer type thing with 550hp written on it and it is a newish advert for them, ill dig it out and takie a piccy for you:)

and just to add that car is light as fook carbon doors, wings, bonnet, roof, tailgate, fibreglass spoiler, plastic windows ,small petrol tank.
    with the engine and 4wd out 3 people where walking about with the shell quite happily(i know i was one of them)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  8. bens_cab Forum Junkie

mk1 20vt will weigh in at a rough 800lbs or is that kilos ? then the 200 bhp that you can get for less than 3k will give you the best power to weight ratio

vr6 engines are heavy in the front of a mk1 the 20vt isnt much heavier than a 16v i think

was watching my mate at the pod yesterday doing 14.1 times my was doing 14.6 which is down to the weight difference oh and my roof also known as the wind brake lol

9. HIGHLINE Forum Member

But for 3k you can have 500bhp so thats a better power to weight ratio from a vr6 !

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

How long does a VR6 last when it's running that power? & how does the rest of the components hold out after the power leaves the engine?

11. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

no they aint

12. HIGHLINE Forum Member

Longer than an 18t would last at 500 bhp !

Been told the only part of an 02A that will break is 3rd gear . I have read about a vr6 in the states doing 600whp on a stock gearbox on the strip and every 25 passes it broke 3rd gear thats it just 3rd .

13. IanCarvell Forum Member

Thats a new 3rd gear every 6 miles then. :lol:

We always used to strip 2nd gear with the race cars, my dad stripped one off the start line at Mallory Park, and I think Bill Broke one at a trackday at Donington. The Vento managed to break 2nd with 200bhp, although it was on slicks....I think Bills was more like 350-400bhp back then.

We used to have a fleet of 3.2 Quattro VR6 Audi TT's at Silverstone and they were no where near as quick as the 1.8T versions that they replaced them with afterwards, despite having more power...they were too heavy at the front....but that was the 24v version(I think). The only way you could get them into slow corners was by using the pull to turn lever :lol:

14. HIGHLINE Forum Member

You keep going back to racing !
    How many people on here are building there car to race ?
    Most people want fast road and thats what my cars for .
    You asked me to come a trackday well you come to the street and you will need a very fast car to pass mine !
    Most people want a fast car for little money and for that a vr6 turbo is king !
    On A roads it will pull hard from 50mph to 110mph in 3rd gear ![:D]

15. HIGHLINE Forum Member

Thats a new 3rd gear every 6 miles then

I thought you would be better at maths than that !
    Did he fly back to the pits
    And 25 passes with almost twice the power of your jag engine is good going .
    Plus if you miss a gear and break it dont blame the box

16. IanCarvell Forum Member

I dont race on the road, that is for Chavs, and idiots.

I really dont see the need for more than 200bhp on the road....you ar at the speed limit in 6 seconds, 400bhp will be 5 seconds. Big deal you get to the pub a second earlier....if it is for a bit of fun on a 'B' road you are after I would have a lot more fun in a standard 16v than a 400bhp lardy car....and to be honest, I consider Cadwell Park to be similar to most 'B' roads and my std Mk2 valver was quicker than all of the 400bhp Subarus, and Supras etc etc that were at my last trackday.

Just build the car light and spend the 3k on beer.

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

is it just me or does highline seem to have a very narrow minded view on this subject.

Highline is talking about figures of 750 bhp. FOR THREE GRAND!!!!!! be serious!

I agree that a vr turbo is likely to produce big figures but again on the road big figures dont always translate into a driveable road car which seems to be the topic.

Could you buy and install a VR Turbo for 3G's with all the neccesary hard/software.

look at this months golf+. a fabia vRS with 205bhp and 430 torques!!! the last comment in that article is something about a revolution in engine tuning, petrol tuning being killed off. That would be and awesome car on the road.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  18. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I take it that the car you speak of is a mk3 VR6?

19. IanCarvell Forum Member

Maybe you could fill in some of the costs?

FULL ENGINE REBUILD =
    GARRET GT3076R TURBO =
    SHORT RUNNER INLET =
    RHD EXHAUST MANIFOLD =
    BOSCH 42LB GREEN INJECTORS =
    4"AIRFLOW METER 'MAF' =
    C2 MOTORSPORT MAPPED ECU =
    APEXI AVC-R BOOST CONTROLLER =
    TAIL 50mm BOV TAIL 38mm WASTEGATE =
    SIX PUCK PADDLE CLUTCH =
    2.5" BOOST HOSE KIT =
    BIG INTERCOOLER =
    LOTS OF ARP BOLTS =
    FULL 3" BLUEFLAME EXHAUST =
    ROLLING ROAD WORK =

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  20. Seraph Banned

Yep, thats where the engines worth 3k and the rest of the car's worth nothing!