burning relay issue!!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by arnau, May 4, 2009.

1. arnau Forum Member

Hi there, I have noted two of my corrado 16v's relays get hot as hell when using the car! Is it normal? or should I replace? I mean, is it any sympthom that a relay is about to die?

thanks!

updated: 16-oct-2009
    Well now it seems to be fixed now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I did was removing horn fuse from fusebox as it didn't work (I bridged both horns with a positive wire from the battery going to a button located in the dash, as a temporary solution 2 years ago :lol: ). I used the corrado for 2hours yesterday and radiator fan's relay (fusebox one) wasn't hot at all!!! even radiator fan seems to be working better, maybe because horn circuit was shorted somewhere and was absorbing some electricity? or it might just be a coincidence [:D]

I hope it does be fixed, and that it won't start to burn like hell today :lol: .

updated: 11 oct 2009
    I installed a relay yesterday, like people do to their headlights, just in the rad fan's connector so all current goes directly from the battery to the fan, and unluckily to me.. the fusebox still gets hot (specially the 2nd stage radiator fan relay (aircon)) :(

08-sept-2009
    as a bit of update:

with an ampmeter, when rad fan kicks in (1st speed) a wire from the fusebox shows 8AMP. when the 2nd speed kicks in, it shows...20AMPS!!

I have noted that fusebox only gets hot when rad fan kicks in. I mean, if I start the engine an drive in a motorway for 2 or 3h without stopping, as the rad fan does not kick in due to air coming through radiator, no heat is created in the fusebox..

where should I look at?

22-05-2009
    Replaced fuel pump relay, and the new one gets hot as well :( :(

20-05-2009
    Checked fusebox and:
    a-one fuse was "fused" (the plastic I mean), so I replaced it. This fuse was connected to the following wire (b).
    b-one wire (big red one) was burnt (and hard on touch) along about 3 inches. I unplugged it's connector to the fusebox and it's plastic (wire's plastic I mean) fell down once I touched it o_O. The wire had some kind of green crap (like sand), so I cut the burnt part of it and moved the connector to the (apparently) good part of it, and replugged it.
    c-another wire was very hard so I just replaced it.
    d-there were only 5 earth wires going from the fusebox to the chasis. why?

does anyone know why should the wire (b) have gone green????

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

that doesnt sound right ,relays shouldnt get hot,deffo not "hot as hell" which ones are they

3. arnau Forum Member

4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

im not sure why there upside down maybe they came from a diffrent vw,as long as the pins are in the right way i cant see it matters,im sure they only go in one way,if you take one out and look there usualy is one pin that is positioned different to the rest
    167 (mk3)or 67(mk2) there the same relay as far as im aware,not sure y they get hot,unles something is causing lots of resistance,like bad earth or the contact points inside the relays are corroded or pitted
    you can take the relay covers off so maybe worth inspecting them and you can turn them round at the same time so there all the right way up

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hm left hand 53 is for the horn, no way it should get hot, sounds liek theres a short ciurcuit in the horn wiring somewhere, though generally that would make the horn stick on... the fuel pump relay will get hot, but if its really hot try another one 67, 80 or 167 from MK2 Golf digifant GTI, 16v or any MK3 Golf.

6. arnau Forum Member

hmmm I remember horn is not working :lol: :lol: I bridged both horns and put a switch in the cabin, directly to the battery-horns :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, I read somewhere that left hand 53 is for fog lamps:o

7. rubjonny

ah yes you're right, 10 is for the fogs, 11 for the horn. think you should check both of these! they'll only fit 1 way though so dont worry about which way round they are

8. arnau Forum Member

okay [:D]

but how is it possible that number 10 gets so hot, with foglights off? o_O

9. rubjonny

same reason as i said for the horn, its shorted somewhere in the circuit and stuck on! fog relay should only be active when you turn on the fogs

10. arnau Forum Member

so how can I know it is really shorted? by using a multimeter on the battery and observing if the V grow once removing the relay?

11. rubjonny

well 1 test would be to turn the ign on with your finger on the relay, if it clicks with the fog light switch off then there is a short in the fog loom :)

12. arnau Forum Member

ok thanks :)

13. arnau Forum Member

hi there

I have tried it and it doesn't click when I turn the ig on.

H O W E V E R , [xx(] [xx(] when I push the fog light button, it doesn't click!!! but the fog lights switch on!!!!

[:x] [:x] [:x] I hate corrados [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x]

14. rubjonny

try pulling the relay out and pushing it back in. if you feel it click right away its shorted to a permanent live feed. i take it the car has front fogs yeah?

15. arnau Forum Member

I tried it and the relay didn't click.

Yes, the car has front fogs. I may try to drive it without the fogs relay to see if it makes any difference. I hope there is nothing bridged to it (i.e. radiator fan, etc.. :S) (this car had 6 previous owners, with lots of strange issues in it)

16. rubjonny

hm dunno why it would get hot then, maybe its fused shut [:s]

17. arnau Forum Member

well, as it has gone worse, I'll take it to the garage on monday :(

18. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    What else have you done to the electrics on the Corrado ?
    What is the age of the car?
    Any pictures, I would love one of the car.

19. arnau Forum Member

i have done many things on the corrado, but not all of them posted... however you han see some of them by following this link

20. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    Thanks. I love the Corrado.
    Why arent you in England, I would have helped you.