burning relay issue!!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by arnau, May 4, 2009.

1. arnau Forum Member

well I think this wouldn't be a good idea for me, because I have aircon which activates 2nd speed when the aircon compressor is on (if I unplug the AC compressor, then rad fan works normally).

I think that fuse #19 (or near to it) also gets pretty hot because if I put my finger around that fusebox' section I burn my finger too...

what about both relays attached to the radiator case? they have wires going to/from the rad fan plug

2. arnau Forum Member

you can se these relays here:

[​IMG]

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm fact you have relays in the bay suggests you shouldnt have extra relays to do with the fan at the fusebox as well, though im not too familiar with a/c systems.

4. arnau Forum Member

yes. I have one relay attached to the fusebox that activates rad fan when AC is connected.

The relays attached to the rad fan housing are (I think) one for rad fan , and the othe rone for AC clutch?. this makes me think that the rad fan relay's internal switch takes signal from fusebox's rad fan relay, and then lets +ive go from the +ive battery to the +ive rad fan.

so then, if so, why are 20amps shown in the fusebox's fan relay when I activate AC???? (edit: fusebox' fan relay would be supposed to ONLY activate rad housing relay's internal switch, wouldn' it?)

[xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(]

5. arnau Forum Member

as a bit of update:

with an ampmeter, when rad fan kicks in (1st speed) a wire from the fusebox shows 8AMP. when the 2nd speed kicks in, it shows...20AMPS!!

I have noted that fusebox only gets hot when rad fan kicks in. I mean, if I start the engine an drive in a motorway for 2 or 3h without stopping, as the rad fan does not kick in due to air coming through radiator, no heat is created in the fusebox..

where should I look at?

6. rubjonny

check the relays next to the fan in the bay, i suspect these might be faulty causing all the current to be pulled thru the fusebox rather than direct from the battery. another solution would be to chop the high speed wire to the fan, and run this from a relay instead. put the fan side to the output leg of the relay, and the sensor side to the trigger pin on the relay, then run the live & earth pins direct to the battery with an inline fuse on the +ve wire

7. arnau Forum Member

I thought I should place two new relays next to the existing ones near the fan, like the headlight uprated loom :)

8. rubjonny

yep thats the idea, though if its only the high speed thats making the fusebox hot you only need to relay that side of the circuit :)

9. arnau Forum Member

well, high speed hardly ever comes on. it happens with low speed as well; however, on high speed, the fusebox gets hotter..

I will try and do it on the following weeks and post the results. but first, I have to go to MOT :S :S :S

10. arnau Forum Member

updated! and fixed!!!

11. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    Well done.
    Tell us what you fixed.

Also, I want to know on the top of the coolant bottle, where does the small hose go to on your Corrado.

Cheers.

12. arnau Forum Member

I updated the first post, the answer is in it :)

what would you like to know about top coolant bottle's small hose?

13. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    In the picture you put up, there was no hose connected to the small hole tube of the bottle, so I was worriied.

14. arnau Forum Member

and there wasn't inlet manifold gasket either [:D]

this pic was taken while engine was rebuilt :)